• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks 
itiswhatitis

1A South Semi-state Eastern Greene @ Indy Lutheran

Haven't seen fans for either of these teams on here.  I know there are several Greene County members on the GID so I thought I'd at least start this thread.  Besides, it will give Miner Pride an opportunity to do one of his usual pre-game write ups.  Lutheran has the best SOS of the four remaining teams so they are no stranger to competition.  Their only 2 losses are to Ritter and Scecina in the tough ICC conference.  After watching what Eastern Greene did last week, I believe  they have the players to make it to Lucas Oil.  However, I don't think they can fall into a 13 - 0 hole against Lutheran.  All things equal, this should be a VERY good matchup.  Best of luck and good health to both teams.

After the semi-state game at Linton last year I had Lutheran as a shoe-in to win 1A South this year. Now, not so sure, with EG being able to run and now throw the ball I think this will be a VERY good game.

I'll still go with LuHi to win a close one mainly due to home field advantage and experience.

Speed is always an issue when facing the Indy schools... I don't know that EG will have seen that kind of speed..  I hear that all-state RB is at QB now?  Course speed is nullified if the Dline wins the battle up front and they get him before he can  turn on the jets... it's the outside speed that may take some adjustments...  Pulling for our county neighbors to continue the Greene County run!!

57 minutes ago, Miner Pride said:

Speed is always an issue when facing the Indy schools... I don't know that EG will have seen that kind of speed..  I hear that all-state RB is at QB now?  Course speed is nullified if the Dline wins the battle up front and they get him before he can  turn on the jets... it's the outside speed that may take some adjustments...  Pulling for our county neighbors to continue the Greene County run!!

City speed?? Hahaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Entirely new turf for the Thunderbirds.... and Lutheran has been expecting to get here all year...  They've long been the predicted Southern rep at Lucas.. Hopefully the T-Birds can handle the long road trip, the nerves and the big bright lights that will be on this came!   I know when Linton went to play Scecina the first time at IUPUI.. I think the large stage played a role at first in how we started out..... Looks Like a lot of changes from the Lutheran we faced in 2016.... more on that later..

5 hours ago, Miner Pride said:

Entirely new turf for the Thunderbirds.... and Lutheran has been expecting to get here all year...  They've long been the predicted Southern rep at Lucas.. Hopefully the T-Birds can handle the long road trip, the nerves and the big bright lights that will be on this came!   I know when Linton went to play Scecina the first time at IUPUI.. I think the large stage played a role at first in how we started out..... Looks Like a lot of changes from the Lutheran we faced in 2016.... more on that later..

Wasn't that at University of Indianapolis (the greyhounds)?  It was a great venue for a high school game.

Lutherans line is Huge and experienced. The RB turned Qb is not only going to finish as a top 15 all time rusher with over 6000 career yards, he is smart and doesn't turn the ball over. On turf he is even better.. Looking forward to this game! Should a close one! 

10 hours ago, Miner Pride said:

Another classic city speed versus country speed. 

• Haha 1

Friday night will be too much Andre Jones #6 from Lutheran.  

12 hours ago, Joe joe said:

Lutherans line is Huge and experienced. The RB turned Qb is not only going to finish as a top 15 all time rusher with over 6000 career yards, he is smart and doesn't turn the ball over. On turf he is even better.. Looking forward to this game! Should a close one! 

Line play will probably be a wash then because Eastern Greene has a huge line as well and they are more athletic than they seem.  IMO the big difference between last year's Eastern Greene team and this year's is their defense.  It is very good.  I expected Lutheran to be in the semi-state this year, but wasn't as sure about Eastern Greene  Glad for them to see they made it.  I will be rooting for Eastern Greene (same county as Linton), but I sure would hate to HAVE to pick a winner in this game.  Should be a really good game.

8 hours ago, Reb08 said:

Friday night will be too much Andre Jones #6 from Lutheran.  

I have to agree, he's small enough that he's hard to locate, and by the time you do, he's in your defensive backfield. Also, the line he is behind is as big as EGs, but a lot faster. All of that being said, as long as EG has Caleb Hamilton on the field, they have a shot, that kid can flat out play.

1 hour ago, 85 Mustang said:

I have to agree, he's small enough that he's hard to locate, and by the time you do, he's in your defensive backfield. Also, the line he is behind is as big as EGs, but a lot faster. All of that being said, as long as EG has Caleb Hamilton on the field, they have a shot, that kid can flat out play.

As I have said in another thread, Hamilton is to Eastern Greene what Kiser is to Pioneer.  He is a stud at qb.

North Vermillion was lucky enough to catch LuHi early in Andre Jones’ career. I still can’t figure out why he didn’t get the ball more his freshman year during the semi-state game.

Having the ball in his hands on every play was a great move by the coaching staff. I don’t know the demeanor of the Lutheran team this season, but I can tell you that size didn’t equate to success in the past. A kid with great measurements can quickly be compromised if he has a poor motor and a lackluster attitude.

Even with that being said, I’m sticking with my summer prediction of Pioneer vs Lutheran in the finals. 

Yeah we got a lot of looks at Jone's last year in Linton ! 134 yards on 20 carries and we felt like we kept him in check LOL!   With him at QB... every play he's got the ball in his hands.  I felt Linton wore them down last year.  They were without  question much bigger that we were...but our physicality wore them down.  Chasing our stretch run game east and west played a role as well.  

Trying to look up info on Lutheran...one of the things I wondered about is a couple of their better players I definitely remembers besides Jones.. were 2 lineman that played both ways.. 56 Prewitt 5'11 235 and 79 Ditchely 6'4 250... I don't see either on the roster this year?   I do see both the RT Emeka Jiliani (#76 6'4 295) and RG Michale Eakle  (6'3 300).. them be some big boys... I can just imagine had both PRewitt and Ditchley been back..they were coming back with 4 of 5 oline starters... but I see on some highlights  #52 Chris Steeb at Center (6'1 225)...listed as a senior.. but not on the roster from our game last year.  Same scenario with LG #64  Mike Ellis (no ht wt on roster on max preps) and LT #77 Mark Caster (Jr 6'4 200). None of these three were on the Lutheran roster when we played them last year semi-state! 

#8 Marcus Mcfadden was wearing 33 last year.. and he played a lot at Middle backer as a sophomore.  Didn't start..but heck after the first series or so..he was in all the time.  Prewitt was the starter then..but looks like McFadden now (5'10 175).  Bailly Barham (#4 Sr 6'1 205) looks to be back at the other ILB.. I think they run 3-4 or maybe that 3-3-stack thing..most of what I saw.. I’m not really a brainiac on formations… the other backer they had last year (Johnson) graduated..  I see #80 Maxwell Wirick (Sr 6’0 185) out there a lot, #11 Garrett Zoeller (Soph 6’0 175) as well…   I think the DB’s are #7 Jalen Elliott (So 5’8 155) and #2 Trevor Russell (sr 5’11 165) at corners..  #13 Immanuel Knox (Sr 5;11 190) at SS  and I believe #23 Michael Schultz (Sr 6;0 175) at FS  But I also see #5 Noah Wood (Jr 6’1 185) out there, listed as a Strong Safety.   Up front looks like 76 Jiliani lines up at Nose, with #77 Caster at one Tackle,  #52 Steeb at the other.. but I also saw #66 Eakle at NT with Jiliani at Tackle. I’m sure some Lutheran fans can shed some facts on all of this.

Jones at QB will be something EG hasn’t seen all year.   Those Tbirds who face Linton’s Meurer last year will perhaps have a clue… but man he’s shifty..and gets behind  those lineman and then boom.. he’s in the open.  And listed at 5’10 200…he’ll be a load to bring down as well. Looks like a sophomore #3 Dante Akins (5’9 160) lines up alongside Jones in the backfield.  #4 Barham and #2 Russell are slots, with  #15 Austin Bryant (Sr 6’1 175) outside and seems like #80 Wirick and maybe #11 Zoeller out at WR as well.  They lost a good one to graduation in #8 Faubian.  As well as John Pasch at LG. 

As most people thought--- Lutheran is where they’ve been predicted to be… with most thinking they’d be a lucas to face Pioneer.  So Eastern really has nothing to lose here at all.  The Saints have a lot of guys who’ve been in big games ,and played in last year’s semi-state…I had them with only 3 seniors starting on the D last year, and just 4 on offense.  But as I said, there are a couple junior starters I don’t see on this year’s team.  Still… returning 6 and 7 on both sides is pretty good in 1A.  Eastern won’t want to get down 13-0 early in this game. 

1 hour ago, Miner Pride said:

56 Prewitt 5'11 235 and 79 Ditchely 6'4 250... I don't see either on the roster this year?

Transferred to Franklin Central for their senior season.  Other OL you mention were on the roster last season, just weren't starters.

1 hour ago, kdets89 said:

Transferred to Franklin Central for their senior season.  Other OL you mention were on the roster last season, just weren't starters.

Eeesh!!!!!!!  going from 4 returning starters on the Oline to 2 in a flash.  Yeah.. now that I look at the roster... I see the others... I was using a chart I had from the game... obviously these guys weren't on it!   They've stepped in and done the job!!!  Thanks for the Clarification...

Should be a good matchup... A couple things I will be interested to see...

Eastern's big o-line against Lutheran's 3 interior lineman... Eastern hasn't had 3 big athletic lineman to block.  Often they have been able to double team the opposing team's best lineman and win the one on one battles against the rest.  Giving Hamilton a 1 yard ahead start before he gets to the LOS which is big. This 4-5 yards and a cloud of dust keeps Jones off the field and wears down a defense.

Lutheran LB's vs. Hamilton and Campbell... You simply can't expect to tackle Hamilton at the waist or above.  He will carry a guy for 2-3 yards.  Tough to do if the line gets a push and Hamilton gets going.  I wonder if they will try to get penetration to slow him down.  Campbell is a very capable back... Big with good speed... He can't be ignored.

Eastern LB's vs. Jones... Jones has more in common with Tyler Meurer than maybe anybody the T-Birds have seen since last year.  Meurer gutted the T-Birds last year... Different year... Different team, but those Linebackers can't allow Jones in space.  As good as Eastern is at LB, he will break free for big plays.  

Both Defensive backfields against the pass... An extra defender in the box to take away the run could be a huge advantage for the offense.  Hamilton with some play action puts his receivers in favorable situations... My guess is Jones does the same for his receivers.  

I wouldn't mind making the trip... Where will the game be played in Indy?

17 minutes ago, Greene County Coach said:

Lutheran HS

5555 S. Arlington Ave.

2 hours ago, kdets89 said:

Kinda funny when players go from public to private everyone throws a s$&t fit, but not so much when it’s the opposite. I️ think you posted earlier in the year you had 5 starters leave. What about the young man that played TE/LB? I️ think he burned Fountain Central for 2 tds last year 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Peter Simon Veeder said:

Kinda funny when players go from public to private everyone throws a s$&t fit, but not so much when it’s the opposite. I️ think you posted earlier in the year you had 5 starters leave. What about the young man that played TE/LB? I️ think he burned Fountain Central for 2 tds last year 

That was Tyler Johnson (#83).  He graduated last year, and is now playing football for Anderson University.

Edited by kdets89

1 hour ago, kdets89 said:

That was Tyler Johnson (#83).  He graduated last year, and is now playing football for Anderson University.

Thanks, for some reason I thought he was a junior last year 

On 11/13/2017 at 5:52 PM, itiswhatitis said:

Wasn't that at University of Indianapolis (the greyhounds)?  It was a great venue for a high school game.

Yep....again showing the affects of old age already creeping in.!

This Eastern Greene team is very good. They definitely deserve to be in this game. However, having played with all of the returning seniors for Lutheran, I know they aren't going down without a fight. It is a very talented and experienced group. This will now be their third time playing in a semi-state. They know how to play in big games. Rooting for my boys but it is sure to be a good game.

4 hours ago, Greene County Coach said:

Should be a good matchup... A couple things I will be interested to see...

Eastern's big o-line against Lutheran's 3 interior lineman... Eastern hasn't had 3 big athletic lineman to block.  Often they have been able to double team the opposing team's best lineman and win the one on one battles against the rest.  Giving Hamilton a 1 yard ahead start before he gets to the LOS which is big. This 4-5 yards and a cloud of dust keeps Jones off the field and wears down a defense.

Lutheran LB's vs. Hamilton and Campbell... You simply can't expect to tackle Hamilton at the waist or above.  He will carry a guy for 2-3 yards.  Tough to do if the line gets a push and Hamilton gets going.  I wonder if they will try to get penetration to slow him down.  Campbell is a very capable back... Big with good speed... He can't be ignored.

Eastern LB's vs. Jones... Jones has more in common with Tyler Meurer than maybe anybody the T-Birds have seen since last year.  Meurer gutted the T-Birds last year... Different year... Different team, but those Linebackers can't allow Jones in space.  As good as Eastern is at LB, he will break free for big plays.  

Both Defensive backfields against the pass... An extra defender in the box to take away the run could be a huge advantage for the offense.  Hamilton with some play action puts his receivers in favorable situations... My guess is Jones does the same for his receivers.  

7:30 PM at Lutheran High School