• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/31/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley
Sign in to follow this  
Miner Pride

Scotty Helms Announces Retirement at Banquet

I was reported in the Greene County daily world last week during the Southwest conference banquet at Eastern Greene High School.  EG head coach/AD Joey Paridaen made the announcement.  I wanted to add my thanks to Scotty for always taking the time to deal with my requests for interviews, stats, starters and just general football talk before and after games... Cougar Valley is never a great place to be got as Miner Broadcaster... hanging out in their booth in the midst of their fans.. lol.. but SCotty always went out of his way to make sure that I was taken care of!!!  Congrats to you Scotty Helms!

Paridaen announced that Scott Helms is retiring after coaching high school football for 37 years, including the last 23 at North Daviess. He said he played under Helms once as defensive captain of an all-star.

“He's one of the better ones in the game,” Paridaen said.

“Coaching young people is a blessing,” Helms said. “It's great to do it for 37 years and its been a blessing. When you follow God's will it's a blessing.”

Helms pointed out he visited an Eastern school board meeting in the early Aughts when the school was trying to start a football program. He said he knew it would be established because of the determination of the Eastern boosters and parents.

“I just want to say I wish I had had nothing to do with it because it was bound to beat us,” Helms joked. “You've got a tremendous program, tremendous fans, a tremendous community.”

He said he plans to visit future conference games and yell advice to the coaches.

http://www.gcdailyworld.com/story/2458925.html

• Like 1

This will be interesting to follow. Will North Daviess be a program that someone wants to take over? There hasn't been much success in the past few years, but there is still good fan support of the program. Hopefully someone with some coaching experience gets the job instead of it being an entry level position.

And there was a time when ND was a very solid football program year in and out...

I may be stepping out of my lane seeing as Loogootee has never or will ever have football, but from what I hear this is way over due. I've not heard great things from my Cougar co-workers about the last four years or so. From running good coaches off to only holding practice a few times a week it didn't sound like winning was a priority. I hope they get a good guy in there, but I think the AD might not want some of his basketball players to go play football so probably will make an underwhelming hire. 

I hope they find someone who will entrench themselves in the community and get the community back involved in the program. When families are excited about the football program, kids want to play for the program. They need someone who has plans to build a program from the ground up, because that is what is needed currently. I have watched some of the youth teams and jr high teams and there is talent to work with in those classes if a coach can make an impression on them now and keep them interested in football.

• Like 1

THere always seems to be some big boys on ND's rosters thru the years... and they've usually had some solid running backs as well...  I don't know the story at ND... I know it seems like the football program is losing out to the basketball and baseball programs.. more so in that kids would rather play in the summer leagues and winter leagues and travelling teams than put the work into football.  Every year it seems when I look at who they have coming back the next year.. a good number of them don't come back.  Now.. I know Scotty.. have always liked Scotty.. I've spoken with him many times on and off record about things. he's been there a long time..and as I've said.. there were some years the Cougars were the dominant team in the area...  But it would seem a change is needed at ND.. someone who can get the kids back into the idea of football..and the effort it takes. But it may not be an issue of a new coach.   I will say that they always seem to have a good crowd when we've played them.. I don't know if its like that at all the games.. maybe just that people hate Linton down there and want to see the game with the hopes of an upset.. don't know.  but we sure had a dogfight some of those years... others.. well not so much.  But it was the site of the biggest Miner defeat I ever saw....!!    

If I'm ND, I throw the proverbial kitchen sink at Brian Crabtree, currently at North Vermillion.  He is a ND graduate, and has a proven track record of success.  He would instantly infuse some needed energy into the program, is a great coach, and would have a vested interest in seeing the program succeed.  If they are serious about making a commitment, why not?

5 hours ago, Reb08 said:

If I'm ND, I throw the proverbial kitchen sink at Brian Crabtree, currently at North Vermillion.  He is a ND graduate, and has a proven track record of success.  He would instantly infuse some needed energy into the program, is a great coach, and would have a vested interest in seeing the program succeed.  If they are serious about making a commitment, why not?

Does the kitchen sink include wearing flip-flops to work year-round? I think that’s a +1 to stay at NV. 

16 minutes ago, Joe Kane said:

Does the kitchen sink include wearing flip-flops to work year-round? I think that’s a +1 to stay at NV. 

I'm with you J.K.  I don't see him leaving NV.  Why would he leave a successful program to go to one that will need some major rebuilding?  I get that maybe he's a "hometown guy" at ND but still I don't see him leaving NV any time soon. 

1 hour ago, Joe Kane said:

Yes, whatever it takes.  Not saying Crabtree would have an interest.  However, if I'm ND, I'm pulling out all the stops.

Very competitive in our youth league which consists of Sullivan, Washington, North Knox, North Central, Eastern Greene, and North Daviess.  

Copied from the schools Facebook page. North Daviess HS currently is accepting applications for the position of Varsity Football Coach. Interested applicants should email their cover letter and resume to Athletic Director Brent Dalrymple, bredalrymple@ndaviess.k12.in.us. The deadline to apply for this position will be Tuesday 12/5/17.