• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff
Sign in to follow this  
jets

November Football- field/weather conditions

3 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I wish IHSAA would of stepped in with Luers in 2010 as they 100 yard field at their stadium was mysteriously drenched in incredible amount of water which turned to mud.   Rest of the parking lot used for cars on grass and other walking areas were concrete.   Hmmmmmm    :20_v:

16 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Natural land mines.

It's called homefield advantage. :13_v:

Divine Intervention is what it was.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

automated or personal?  you must have some serious pull up there.....lol

THANK YOU!

It's automated. I received it as well. Sent to all parents.

4 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I wish IHSAA would of stepped in with Luers in 2010 as they 100 yard field at their stadium was mysteriously drenched in incredible amount of water which turned to mud.   Rest of the parking lot used for cars on grass and other walking areas were concrete.   Hmmmmmm    :20_v:

Luers had more "athletes" and more speed so drenching the field on purpose would be incredibly stupid. Luers could afford field turf if they got to keep their own tax money instead of it helping buy public schools turf.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Luers is also due for a new press box.  For a team that has won 11 state titles they ought to be ashamed of their press box

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, yellowjacket said:

Luers is also due for a new press box.  For a team that has won 11 state titles they ought to be ashamed of their press box

When Luers spends the money they have on academics instead of making you more comfortable then there is no shame.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, jakone said:

Luers had more "athletes" and more speed so drenching the field on purpose would be incredibly stupid. Luers could afford field turf if they got to keep their own tax money instead of it helping buy public schools turf.

but yet they did...... odd.     Confirmed, again, to each their own,  their field their choice.   

The reason was good for doing so, so I guess I will take it as a sign of respect.....   

No disagreement about the speed and athleticism difference of the two teams, Loaded talented squad there.   been nice if our huge lineman could of fired off on a dry field instead of slipping in the mud to get our 3-4 yards to keep those dudes off the field.   We shall never know.   But to say it didn't happen is not being genuine.  

19 hours ago, jakone said:

Luers could afford field turf if they got to keep their own tax money instead of it helping buy public schools turf.

With Pence's voucher program being in place for several years, I don't think you can say this anymore. A lot of tax money for schools is now funneled to private schools.

According to this article:

Pence’s voucher program ballooned into a $135 million annual bonanza almost exclusively benefiting private religious schools.

By the 2015-16 school year, the number of students using state-funded vouchers had shot up to more than 32,000 in 316 private schools.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/12/mike-pence-voucher-program-religious-schools/

5 minutes ago, slice60 said:

With Pence's voucher program being in place for several years, I don't think you can say this anymore. A lot of tax money for schools is now funneled to private schools.

Pence’s voucher program ballooned into a $135 million annual bonanza almost exclusively benefiting private religious schools.

By the 2015-16 school year, the number of students using state-funded vouchers had shot up to more than 32,000 in 316 private schools.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/12/mike-pence-voucher-program-religious-schools/

There is no doubt a lot of $ going into private schools through the Voucher program. However, there is a strict income limit in order to qualify. The folks that are over that income limit are also the ones who are still paying the majority of the Indiana taxes and who could otherwise afford to donate to a new football field. 

Theoretically with an all-in tournament, you pretty much have to play the first few rounds on whatever is available.  I would think come regional time (maybe) and def for semi's, there should be enough open turf fields for those games.  With the weather being what it is in Indiana, I would think turf is the desired surface at that stage.

Question for you guys: After the first few rounds, are the games still played at one of the teams' home field or do they go to neutral at a certain point?  Obviously, they can't do neutral first round and it might be difficult even in the 2nd.

We do all neutral fields down here, but our tournament is structured different than yall's (only the top 4 of 6 or 7 teams in each district make it into post season) and we have a lot of facilities to choose from.  Usually the first couple rounds are either grass or turf but once you get to 3rd round and beyond you can, for the most part, do all turf.

Edited by Bonecrusher

1 hour ago, slice60 said:

I doubt they are allowed to use voucher money for field turf unlike public schools who use our tax money for said turf.

Bonecrusher, our game is away (80 min drive), on the (grass) home field of a team who is playing their 4th straight home game.  So that definitely seems like a big advantage for them.  We will just have to bring it! 

Hoping the field we'll be playing on is pretty decent.  Ever seen the field at Guerin Catholic?  It is grass and IMMACULATE.

14 minutes ago, jakone said:

I doubt they are allowed to use voucher money for field turf unlike public schools who use our tax money for said turf.

So you're saying that money from the state to public schools is used on athletic facilities but money from the state to private schools cannot be used on athletic facilities. You sure seem to know a lot about how schools use public funds. Or maybe you just act like you know it all.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/15/2017 at 12:55 PM, Woodmen Football Fan said:

Bonecrusher, our game is away (80 min drive), on the (grass) home field of a team who is playing their 4th straight home game.  So that definitely seems like a big advantage for them.  We will just have to bring it! 

Hoping the field we'll be playing on is pretty decent.  Ever seen the field at Guerin Catholic?  It is grass and IMMACULATE.

Wow, 4th straight home playoff game.  Considering the travel time, I would think it helps the home team.  Too bad they can't go to neutral sites at some point in the playoffs (besides the finals lol).  How do they determine who hosts the games?  Coin flip? Records? Points for/against?

I feel your pain regarding travel time.  We had a scrimmage and two regular season games that were between 2 - 2 1/2 hours drive time.  Makes for a very long night.

20 minutes ago, Bonecrusher said:

Wow, 4th straight home playoff game.  Considering the travel time, I would think it helps the home team.  Too bad they can't go to neutral sites at some point in the playoffs (besides the finals lol).  How do they determine who hosts the games?  Coin flip? Records? Points for/against?

I feel your pain regarding travel time.  We had a scrimmage and two regular season games that were between 2 - 2 1/2 hours drive time.  Makes for a very long night.

It's complicated!  And I shouldn't complain too much, because we've had two home games, and two away games that were less than an hour away.

For sectionals (3 games):

First Round: The second-named team in the blind draw is host school unless the two teams agree to switch the site.
Semifinals: The team without a home game will host. Exception: The bye team will always be the visitor. If both teams were hosts or both were visitors, the second-named team in the quarter bracket will host. In 6A & 5A, in the four team sectionals, the second-named team will host.
Championships: Host team will be the team that has played the most away games. If both teams have played the same number of away games, the bottom bracket team shall host.

For regionals:

Sectional final game non-host, if applicable, or lower sectional # (i.e., Sect. 1 is lower than Sect. 2).

For semi-state:

*Regional non-host, if applicable, or lower sectional # (i.e., Sect. 1 is lower than Sect. 2).
*If regional winner has not hosted either sectional final or regional, that school will be the designated host.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:13 AM, Von2Rov said:

It's a matter of opinion, like most other topics on this site.  Unlike your first post states, it appears you actually do have an opinion.  Stand by your opinion and be proud of it!  I completely understand why you have that opinion.  I think it's ok to play in a muddy mess, and you don't.  It's ok to disagree... 

Yes, it's fair to think it's unfair.  Life will never be 100% fair.  What's next, neutral sites for regionals?  Sectional Champs?  etc...

Someone will always think something is unfair.  Especially in today's world.  Have a great day!:17_v:

They do it in Ohio and it works out pretty well from what I've been told.  An area team near my old hometown is playing their regional championship tonight (Friday) and it is being played at a high school that is about 35 miles from their town.  (New Concord John Glenn is playing at a Zanesville school).  I believe they (John Glenn) played the first tournament game last week at the same school.  I've talked with sports people in Ohio and they say it gives the "host" fans a chance to watch a tournament game as well as cutting the drive times for the two schools who are participating.  I've been told they have big crowds in that area of the state (Southeastern Ohio).

6 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

They do it in Ohio and it works out pretty well from what I've been told.  An area team near my old hometown is playing their regional championship tonight (Friday) and it is being played at a high school that is about 35 miles from their town.  (New Concord John Glenn is playing at a Zanesville school).  I believe they (John Glenn) played the first tournament game last week at the same school.  I've talked with sports people in Ohio and they say it gives the "host" fans a chance to watch a tournament game as well as cutting the drive times for the two schools who are participating.  I've been told they have big crowds in that area of the state (Southeastern Ohio).

That's pretty cool.  I will admit that I fear change a little...

I also don't think that the crowds would be as big at a neutral site though.  Road teams travel with less fans than a home team has sitting in the stands (typically)  In my opinion, the people from that host town wouldn't make up the difference of 2 "away" teams in most cases.  I'm sure it would work out great for some schools, but I think the improvement would be underwhelming if at all. 

I'll listen to the semi-state debate all day.  But sectionals and regionals... Nah!  :17_v:

9 minutes ago, Von2Rov said:

I also don't think that the crowds would be as big at a neutral site though.  Road teams travel with less fans than a home team has sitting in the stands (typically)  In my opinion, the people from that host town wouldn't make up the difference of 2 "away" teams in most cases.  I'm sure it would work out great for some schools, but I think the improvement would be underwhelming if at all. 

I'll listen to the semi-state debate all day.  But sectionals and regionals... Nah!  :17_v:

I think the crowd at a neutral/mid-way site would be similar to a home town crowd, for regionals / semi-state in a state the size of Indiana.  Agree that not everyone will drive an hour for a regular season or sectional game, but by the time you get to regionals, people are pretty hyped up and (imo) don't mind a bit of a drive.

22 minutes ago, Von2Rov said:

I know for many years I've seen letter jackets from other schools at Linton tournament games.  Granted they aren't from far away (maybe 30 mile radius or so), but I would think that it would give some of the area coaches an opportunity to have their teams watch those games.  So those players who came to watch sectional, regional, and semi-state games at Linton were for the most part, at a neutral site to see a game.  Maybe they could talk with some of the participating players/coaches after the game.  Get some new ideas and maybe new perspectives.  I guess I look at that as part of growing the game which would be good for all of us.  Maybe Ohio fans are crazier for high school football than Indiana fans.  Not bashing, just saying.  I think a lot of people fear change somewhat.  I would be keen to the idea of playing at least the Regional and semi-state games somewhere (neutral site) on a turf field.  That is about the time of year when the weather starts turning with rain, sleet, and snow.  If the games were played on turf I think that would somewhat neutralize the "fairness" factor that has been brought up.

6 hours ago, Woodmen Football Fan said:

I think the crowd at a neutral/mid-way site would be similar to a home town crowd, for regionals / semi-state in a state the size of Indiana.  Agree that not everyone will drive an hour for a regular season or sectional game, but by the time you get to regionals, people are pretty hyped up and (imo) don't mind a bit of a drive.

I think you're 100% correct.  It makes no sense to me personally, to have some schools getting a repeated home advantage.  Using neutral sites, at least for maybe regionals and after guarantees that everyone is inconvenienced about the same.

I can tell you that down here, where all playoff games are held at neutral sites, the attendance does not seem to be down at all vs. turnout for regular season games.  In fact, it can be better because people who may have not been that interested during regular season jump on the bandwagon.  I know of several schools where this is the case, but football is king down here so that may have something to do with it.

Location, to me, is more important than playing surface.  Both teams have to play on the same field, but that travel time - while maybe not hurting - surely doesn't help the visiting team either.