• Announcements

    • Coach Nowlin

      HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

      CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks 
Sign in to follow this  
jets

November Football- field/weather conditions

Recommended Posts

So-never really started a topic on my own. Been a long time reader of the forum-enjoy the discussion and banter.

I'm curious first of all of how many games are being played this weekend on field turf fields as opposed to natural surfaces?? With weather in the forecast, has there been any thoughts of moving any games? I don't really have an opinion one way or the other- but I imagine I'd be frustrated if I was having to play for a chance at State and the field was a muddy mess when half the teams in the state aren't having to deal with such things?? 

I know some ol timers will say it's "November football" and you have to deal with the elements- I get that. Just curious as to others thoughts?? Is there any credence to neutral site semi-states every year to avoid such things?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IHSAA just forced Bishop Dwenger to move from their home to another school due to what they deemed unacceptable field conditions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, new money said:

IHSAA just forced Bishop Dwenger to move from their home to another school due to what they deemed unacceptable field conditions. 

I had not heard that. So did they move it from a natural playing surface to field turf?? I'm not familiar with the FT Wayne area- does Dwenger have their own field and what did the IHSAA deem unacceptable?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moved to Homestead HS which is field turf. Dwenger shares a home field with Concordia and does get used every week through the season. So it’s beat up for sure. But it always has been and this is the first time they have been forced to move. Not sure what’s different this year. 

Edited by new money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Games I know for sure are on field turf:

Penn at Carmel 

Avon at Ben Davis

Columbus East vs Cathedral at Tech

Lowell vs FW Dwenger at Homestead

Woodlan at Eastbrook

Eastern Greene at Lutheran

Saturday

Ev Memorial at Danville

Southridge vs Scecina at Tech

 

Edited by FastpacedO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Games I know for sure are on field turf:

Penn at Carmel 

Avin at Ben Davis

Columbus East vs Cathedral at Tech

Saturday

Ev Memorial at Danville

Southridge vs Scecina at Tech

 

Indy Lutheran has new turf this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, CharlieTweeder said:

The Pit at Pioneer is a cow pasture.   They'll clear the cows by Thursday night tho

That might be an insult to cow pastures...

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, what are those, dark brown circular, discs on the field?

1 hour ago, CharlieTweeder said:

The Pit at Pioneer is a cow pasture.   They'll clear the cows by Thursday night tho

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Peter Simon Veeder said:

Indy Lutheran has new turf this year.

I updated the list

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, new money said:

IHSAA just forced Bishop Dwenger to move from their home to another school due to what they deemed unacceptable field conditions. 

I actually got a call from the Lowell Athletic Department saying so.  It's cool with me, Homestead has a great facility.   This must have been approved by Muda...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess what I was trying to get at-or ask -is the "fairness" of the situation? Half of the State will be playing on fields that are less than spectacular at this time of year, and can be a factor in the ballgame...where as the other half of the State the field will not be an issue. Is this a case of "it is what it is" or is there something that can be done? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I, for one, think the Semi-States should be played at a nice facility and neutral field to reduce travel time for the "away" time.  A 3 hour drive for anyone on Friday night is a b$%ch. With Dwenger playing in it's 20th semi-state we have some experience. There is nothing like driving for 3 hours only to find the visitors stands are tiny and you have to stand on the frozen tundra all night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, jets said:

I guess what I was trying to get at-or ask -is the "fairness" of the situation? Half of the State will be playing on fields that are less than spectacular at this time of year, and can be a factor in the ballgame...where as the other half of the State the field will not be an issue. Is this a case of "it is what it is" or is there something that can be done? 

Both teams have to play on the same field.  Whoever can handle it better will win. 

BD/Avon playing on turf does not affect Pioneer/MC playing on grass.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Von2Rov said:

Both teams have to play on the same field.  Whoever can handle it better will win. 

BD/Avon playing on turf does not affect Pioneer/MC playing on grass.

That's EXACTLY the point of this topic that I started. At what point - if EVER at all - do we get away from a crappy field being "just part of the game?" Especially this late in the tournament? OR do we just go nostalgic style and say "hey, that's part of it?" 

I agree with your statement that BD/Avon doesn't have anything to do with Pioneer/MC on grass....but let's just say I'm Pioneer or MC and my cleats/ankles are caked in mud, I can't do half of what's gotten me to this point in the season...I feel like this field is affecting my teams performance and a chance at the State title game.... Yet my other 1A counterparts in the South are playing on field-turf?? Is this a fair scenario?? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gipper said:

I actually got a call from the Lowell Athletic Department saying so.  It's cool with me, Homestead has a great facility.   This must have been approved by Muda...

automated or personal?  you must have some serious pull up there.....lol

8 minutes ago, Gonzoron said:

 

THANK YOU!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jets said:

That's EXACTLY the point of this topic that I started. At what point - if EVER at all - do we get away from a crappy field being "just part of the game?" Especially this late in the tournament? OR do we just go nostalgic style and say "hey, that's part of it?" 

I agree with your statement that BD/Avon doesn't have anything to do with Pioneer/MC on grass....but let's just say I'm Pioneer or MC and my cleats/ankles are caked in mud, I can't do half of what's gotten me to this point in the season...I feel like this field is affecting my teams performance and a chance at the State title game.... Yet my other 1A counterparts in the South are playing on field-turf?? Is this a fair scenario?? 

 

It's a matter of opinion, like most other topics on this site.  Unlike your first post states, it appears you actually do have an opinion.  Stand by your opinion and be proud of it!  I completely understand why you have that opinion.  I think it's ok to play in a muddy mess, and you don't.  It's ok to disagree... 

Yes, it's fair to think it's unfair.  Life will never be 100% fair.  What's next, neutral sites for regionals?  Sectional Champs?  etc...

Someone will always think something is unfair.  Especially in today's world.  Have a great day!:17_v:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

automated or personal?  you must have some serious pull up there.....lol

THANK YOU!

See also: "What it was, was football". https://youtu.be/FibbKyBTJX4

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gonzoron said:

See also: "What it was, was football". https://youtu.be/FibbKyBTJX4

 

Thanks Gonzo.  American nostalgia.

Enjoy fraynds :)

had to chuckle when he described the cheerleaders in their pretty little dresses.....that were almot to their mid-shin.

Now I am thirsty for a Big Orange Drink.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish IHSAA would of stepped in with Luers in 2010 as they 100 yard field at their stadium was mysteriously drenched in incredible amount of water which turned to mud.   Rest of the parking lot used for cars on grass and other walking areas were concrete.   Hmmmmmm    :20_v:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Football is an entirely different animal than every other sport.  Therefore, there is no way that the football tournament can be set up like every other tournament.  However, beginning in the regional round there are plenty of open neutral sites that would be great places to host games.  Because of the nature of the all-in system, there is no legitimate reason to use a luck of the draw excuse for hosting a tournament game once the field has been reduced by two-thirds.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want fair, you go to the place they show pigs and horses. But having said that, I would be all for Semi states at neutral sites with as close equidistant as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's an advantage for East Central that they are playing 4 straight home games on their own field (which is grass), when their opponent (Greenwood) plays almost all of their games on turf.  But, I'll go with the old-school folks and say that it's football in November, we can't make everything exactly equal for all, and if you're upset about playing on a muddy field you should choose a different sport.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, southend said:

By the way, what are those, dark brown circular, discs on the field?

 

Natural land mines.

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I wish IHSAA would of stepped in with Luers in 2010 as they 100 yard field at their stadium was mysteriously drenched in incredible amount of water which turned to mud.   Rest of the parking lot used for cars on grass and other walking areas were concrete.   Hmmmmmm    :20_v:

It's called homefield advantage. :13_v:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.