• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff

No thread yet.......'Tuesdays gone' almost  and no thread.     

Thoughts of the 1990s penn teams came to my mind today. Was curious as to why they have dropped off and not considered contenders these days. Probably a mix of no geesman at the helm and the quality of teams the mic produces each regular season is greater than previous era's . What do each of these teams do well? 

11 minutes ago, MuleDriver said:

No thread yet.......'Tuesdays gone' almost  and no thread.     

Thoughts of the 1990s penn teams came to my mind today. Was curious as to why they have dropped off and not considered contenders these days. Probably a mix of no geesman at the helm and the quality of teams the mic produces each regular season is greater than previous era's . What do each of these teams do well? 

Lose to Ben Davis.  Sorry, couldn't help myself.  I'm wondering too where the comments are?  I've asked my wife and she keeps mentioning concussion issues keeping Carmel students out of team.  But that's a digression, and I'd enjoy hearing answers to What do each of these teams do well?  as well as whether concussion issues lower interest in high school football for these 2 teams?

• Upvote 1

I think this will be a good game. I expect Penn to win. Carmel has an excellent defense, but they struggle on offense. I think the Gold Rush will stop them in a low-scoring game.

• Upvote 1

Man I remember the flood of people that would walk to the Penn games on Friday nights throughout the 90's and early 00's.  These days the stands are full of parents and employees of the system. Not many people from around town still come out.  

Grew up going to Penn games played a few years of ball there, love going back and watching what these kids can achieve.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Black_Gold2007 said:

Man I remember the flood of people that would walk to the Penn games on Friday nights throughout the 90's and early 00's.  These days the stands are full of parents and employees of the system. Not many people from around town still come out.  

Grew up going to Penn games played a few years of ball there, love going back and watching what these kids can achieve.  

Nowadays you can sit at home and live stream most games off the internet. I think it's killing attendance. I, for one, am guilty. The 89's and 90's were a great time to watch high school football games if you like big crowds.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CGFan2017 said:

Tell that to the 2015 Penn team.

And this years Snider team, who also doesn't play anyone in the regular season that compares to the MIC's top 4 . Snider self destructed or they would be playing Penn this week . 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Cougs73 said:

Is the game at penn or Carmel

At Carmel and Penn should win by a score (FG or TD)

• Upvote 1

Yea, I’m also torn in this one. Both have a lot of history. But it is just that history. This is now. I get a lot of Nap town news down here in the hillbilly part of the state but not much South Bend area news. Penn always beats up its neighbors, seems like every year. They can have a good record ,and not be able to stay with the big boys from the central part of state. Then with the same record, come in here and walk to state. Unless I could watch them, I can’t get a good read. So I’m stuck reading to all the info on this site to make my mind up. Trying to decipher out the bias. So I’m still willing to gather more info on this game. 

11 hours ago, psaboy said:

At Carmel and Penn should win by a score (FG or TD)

Carmel is a 16 point favorite at home . Don't know that we can win this game , but we will give them a good game . On a side note , Penn's defense has only given up 3 points in 3 playoff games . Carmel will present a much stiffer challenge for them . 

Edited by GOLDRUSH85
  • Upvote 1

Should be a good game, the homer in me says Penn by a score, but I could see it going either way to be honest.

Carmel and Penn have played 10 times, all of which have been for Semi State or State I believe.

11-13-1987 Penn 14 - 28 Carmel 0-1
11-25-1989 Penn 7 - 10 Carmel 0-2
11-17-1995 Penn 28 - 14 Carmel 1-2
11-15-1996 Penn 28 - 7 Carmel 2-2
11-21-2008 Penn 3 - 38 Carmel 2-3
11-26-2011 Penn 0 - 54 Carmel 2-4
11-15-2013 Penn 13 - 28 Carmel 2-5
11-14-2014 Penn 13 - 14 Carmel 2-6
11-13-2015 Penn 16 - 10 Carmel 3-6
11-18-2016 Penn 10 - 21 Carmel 3-7

Carmel leads series 7-3

That history chart means nothing to me, trying to figure out who i'm going to take.But very telling info, pretty much spells out my theory on here, it is hard to beat the metro Indy teams.

With respect to the loss Carmel had to Penn in 2015-  as one of the other commenters posted-  Penn walks into semi-state/state just about every single year because they play no one in sectionals/regionals- let alone through the regular season.   They come into those semi-state /state games with predominately healthy players after all the MIC teams have destroyed each other all season.  It is a joke quite honestly that they are ever realistically ranked as high as they often are.  all you have to do is look at their Sagarin rating and they are appropriately ranked for the most part.  don't get me wrong- they have quality players- as good as the teams in the MIC and best conferences in Indiana- but if they were playing in the MIC week after week- they would be a low-mid MIC team.  it is what it is. 

Through Regionals- Penn is ranked 22nd in Sagarin. See John Harrell's Indiana HS Football site.  Quite excellent work. 

Edited by BDR
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

BDR I assume that you played on the Carmel field at half time and not when it counts.... I wish Penn played in the MIC but they don't ... hopefully they can play a good game but to think they would be a low end MIC team no way!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, BDR said:

With respect to the loss Carmel had to Penn in 2015-  as one of the other commenters posted-  Penn walks into semi-state/state just about every single year because they play no one in sectionals/regionals- let alone through the regular season.   They come into those semi-state /state games with predominately healthy players after all the MIC teams have destroyed each other all season.  It is a joke quite honestly that they are ever realistically ranked as high as they often are.  all you have to do is look at their Sagarin rating and they are appropriately ranked for the most part.  don't get me wrong- they have quality players- as good as the teams in the MIC and best conferences in Indiana- but if they were playing in the MIC week after week- they would be a low-mid MIC team.  it is what it is. 

Through Regionals- Penn is ranked 22nd in Sagarin. See John Harrell's Indiana HS Football site.  Quite excellent work. 

Sagarin is a decent measure for predicting team strength, but where they lack is that it doesn't account for out of state teams, such as the two games each year Penn plays a Michigan powerhouse.

Obviously MIC is by far the toughest Conference in the state, but schools like Penn are limited in being able to play top competition.  They have taken steps toward that by playing Orchard Lake St. Mary's and Brother Rice.

The only way Penn can possibly begin to play tougher competition week in and week out is to go independent.  We all know that it wont happen.  Geographically speaking Penn is in no-mans land. 

It will be a tough game 

Think Penn will have a tough time up front on both sides of the ball. They’ll need to catch a few breaks on D and offensively it really comes down to how balanced Penn can be. I think Carmel wins a pretty uneventful contest like 24-7, 28-10.

4 hours ago, BDR said:

This is funny , When we lose to an MIC team , it's because our schedule is weak, we're not used to playing good teams . When we beat an MIC team it's because our schedule is weak, we have an easy road in the Playoffs . I would Bet Penn's Sectional opponent (Valporaiso)is better than Noblesville and just as good as Lafeyette Jeff , Carmel's 1st two playoff opponents .

Edited by GOLDRUSH85
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

18 hours ago, Black_Gold2007 said:

It feels like, outside of a few programs, this could be said of most teams in Indiana (the country?) anymore.  I went to a ton of games in the 90's and the stands were always full.  Even bad games with predictable outcomes would pack a crowd.  These days, it takes a huge rivalry game (not just the rivalry itself, but the game actually meaning something) or a championship on the line to get the classmates and casual fans to come out to the game.  Vary sad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

People keep talking about how quiet the BD fans have been this year....Penn has been pretty quiet, too, with even the ardent supporters basically writing off this being their year....

32 minutes ago, Indyyjr said:

People keep talking about how quiet the BD fans have been this year....Penn has been pretty quiet, too, with even the ardent supporters basically writing off this being their year....

Wasn't expecting a whole lot this year , it is one of Penn's younger teams . I believe they return half the starters next year , which doesn't happen often . 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, oldtimer said:

BDR I assume that you played on the Carmel field at half time and not when it counts....

LoL....HaHa...LOL, oldtimer that is a hoot! That might call for a point deduction at the end of the round! (hitting below the belt) LOL