• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks 
Sign in to follow this  
Cougs73

Does the north team in 4A have a chance to win state this year?

With dwenger and Lowell battling it out on Friday does the north have a shot at winning state this year. With roncalli, new Palestine, and Columbus east in 5a the south seems To be weaker than previous years. Have not seen East Central or Greenwood but they are probably both really good teams.

I know that teams can changed greatly from year to year, but Dwenger beat East Central 27-3 in 2015.

• Upvote 1

Last year East Central lost Semi-State to Roncalli in the last minute of the game on a long difficult drive by Roncalli.  My personal opinion was that if they had held they would have won in the State game.  Although I have seen them a couple of times this year, I don't have much of a feel as to how this EC team compares to last year.  I've absolutely no sense as to just how good Greenwood is.

Neither do I have a feel as to how strong the North is in comparison to last year either.

Although I admit to being an admirer of EC (my favorite coming out of the South), I think it's probably a toss-up.  

I recall in 2013 when a good Dwenger team (coming off a 4-6 season the year before) absolutely battled an outstanding Columbus East team that I thought would beat them by at least 30.  

BTW, anybody remember 2014 when Tri-West had its way with defending champ Andrean (and huge favorite) in 3A?

My personal opinion is that 2A, 3A and 4A could go either way this year as regards a North or South winner.

Edited by Lysander

6 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Last year East Central lost Semi-State to Roncalli in the last minute of the game on a long difficult drive by Roncalli.  My personal opinion was that if they had held they would have won in the State game.  Although I have seen them a couple of times this year, I don't have much of a feel as to how this EC team compares to last year.  I've absolutely no sense as to just how good Greenwood is.

Neither do I have a feel as to how strong the North is in comparison to last year either.

Although I admit to being an admirer of EC (my favorite coming out of the South), I think it's probably a toss-up.  

I recall in 2013 when an unheralded Dwenger team absolutely battled an outstanding Columbus East team that I thought would beat them by at least 30.  

BTW, anybody remember 2014 when Tri-West had its way with defending champ Andrean (and huge favorite) in 3A?

My personal opinion is that 2A, 3A and 4A could go either way this year as regards a North or South winner.

Yes! I watched the Andrean and tri west game before the La Porte and Cathedral game.

I think it will be Lowell vs East Central. I also believe that turnovers will be huge in this game! I feel either team is well equipped to capitalize off of turnovers

14 hours ago, Woodmen Football Fan said:

Cougs73, I'm originally from LaPorte so was really hoping for a Greenwood - New Prairie game this year. And re: how good Greenwood is compared to EC and the teams from the North - guess we'll soon see! 

We had the chance but couldn't capitalize on lowells mistakes. If we did We would still be playing but hey, it is what it is

• Like 1

The only reason Dwenger beat EC in state was because Dwenger could throw the ball.  EC could not. At least against good Competition. That game was extremely close until the 4th quarter.   EC was winning 3 to 0 At half.  The question is , Can Lowell or Dwenger throw the ball extremely well this year?  You can beat EC is you can run and have a great passing attack. IF you are only a running team dont even show up. No one in 4a runs the ball against EC.  No one  in 4A has ever been able to run the ball against EC effectively.  SO, can the north pass or not? It simply comes down to that. 

Edited by railsplitters

2 minutes ago, railsplitters said:

The only reason Dwenger beat EC in state was because Dwenger could throw the ball.  EC could not. At least against good Competition. That game was extremely close until the 4th quarter.   EC was winning 3 to 0 At half.  The question is , Can Lowell or Dwenger throw the ball extremely well this year?  You can beat EC is you can run and have a great passing attack. IF you are only a running team dont even show up. No one in 4a runs the ball against EC.  No one  in 4A has ever been able to run the ball against EC effectively.  SO, can the north pass or not? It simply comes down to that. 

Both teams actually pass pretty well :P

Just now, Cougs73 said:

Both teams actually pass pretty well :P

And Lowell's running game is pretty good

Well then the north has a shot then. EC year in and year out shuts down Excellent running attacks. Its not that they can't defend against the pass its just stopping the run is where they excel. But since both teams can pass from the north ill say that both teams have a shot to win state. 

Just now, Woodmen Football Fan said:

Gwood passes pretty well too, so it's possible you are getting too far ahead of yourselves (in assuming that EC will be at LOS : )

No I can't speak for Greenwood. Only for EC, just if EC wins , This is  what they should expect. 

LOL. Without a doubt the north rep can win. A lot of the reason why is because Roncalli is in 5A this year. 

14 hours ago, new money said:

LOL. Without a doubt the north rep can win. A lot of the reason why is because Roncalli is in 5A this year. 

I can't argue with that! Seems like most people are unfamiliar with Greenwood - maybe because with Roncalli in the same sectional, it's been awhile since Greenwood has been able to advance. (Not that I think the north WILL win - gotta go with my hometown team ftw) 

7 hours ago, Woodmen Football Fan said:

I can't argue with that! Seems like most people are unfamiliar with Greenwood - maybe because with Roncalli in the same sectional, it's been awhile since Greenwood has been able to advance. (Not that I think the north WILL win - gotta go with my hometown team ftw) 

Im familiar with Greenwood although I'm not familiar with this team. I agree they are not lucky to have Roncalli in their sectional so they wouldn't get the normal exposure a deep run can give a team.