• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/31/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland
Sign in to follow this  
Indian72

IHSAA deems field unplayable

So, it appear the IHSAA stepped in and moved the Dwenger game due to the playing surface at Zollner.  Is this an unusual situation?  Has it been done before?  Through the years I have seen many fields that were in bad shape and the game was still played.

Does the IHSAA just step in or does someone contact them to check out the field and its condition?

Just curious

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

So, it appear the IHSAA stepped in and moved the Dwenger game due to the playing surface at Zollner.  Is this an unusual situation?  Has it been done before?  Through the years I have seen many fields that were in bad shape and the game was still played.

Does the IHSAA just step in or does someone contact them to check out the field and its condition?

Just curious

Yes it has happened before. The IHSAA had Bishop Chatard move a playoff game that was going to be at Broad Ripple

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Yes it has happened before. The IHSAA had Bishop Chatard move a playoff game that was going to be at Broad Ripple

I remember the IHSAA did that for one of the BC/Heritage Hills matchups. Now they have requested that for Dwenger. 

I don’t doubt it may be needed- especially for a field that gets multiple uses per week and this time of year. 

I always wondered if the IHSAA would ever do the same to a public school who has their own stadium. Or is it something they would only do to a P/P Who had to find another field anyway.

Also moved Pioneer game to nearby Logansport

Pioneer has played 3 straight home games at "THE PIT" and a lot overall.  Not a great field in August, let along late November, that and a whole bunch of media requests they could not house at their pressbox decision was made for the good of the game 

• Upvote 1

2014 1a south semi-state North Vermillion at Indianapolis Lutheran was played at Indianapolis Roncalli.  If memory serves, I believe that may have been due to a combination of seating and playing surface at LuHi's old facility; perhaps primarily seating but remember grumblings of bad field conditions too.  I remember the boys taking the field at Roncalli and having ice still on the turf - it was a cold one.

7 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Also moved Pioneer game to nearby Logansport

Pioneer has played 3 straight home games at "THE PIT" and a lot overall.  Not a great field in August, let along late November, that and a whole bunch of media requests they could not house at their pressbox decision was made for the good of the game 

I guess there’s my answer.

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, Joe Kane said:

2014 1a south semi-state North Vermillion at Indianapolis Lutheran was played at Indianapolis Roncalli.  If memory serves, I believe that may have been due to a combination of seating and playing surface at LuHi's old facility; perhaps primarily seating but remember grumblings of bad field conditions too.  I remember the boys taking the field at Roncalli and having ice still on the turf - it was a cold one.

Last years Fountain Central- Lutheran regional game was moved to Beech Groove 

11 minutes ago, Peter Simon Veeder said:

Last years Fountain Central- Lutheran regional game was moved to Beech Groove 

Strange, since it's not turf

I thought seating and parking played a role in these decisions also? Teams with big followings can overwhelm smaller stadiums and towns during playoff football. 

4 minutes ago, Von2Rov said:

Strange, since it's not turf

I don't think turf was the objective.  Admittedly, LuHi field was in awful shape.  Faulkens visited at request of FC, and immediately made arrangements for LuHi to rent Franklin Central's field, which also isn't field turf.  Once LuHi got involved, arrangements were made with Beech Grove.

2 minutes ago, kdets89 said:

I don't think turf was the objective.  Admittedly, LuHi field was in awful shape.  Faulkens visited at request of FC, and immediately made arrangements for LuHi to rent Franklin Central's field, which also isn't field turf.  Once LuHi got involved, arrangements were made with Beech Grove.

I take it you’re still pushing the conspiracy theory that Fountain Central was trying to get a home game out of it

Another question:  So how did the IHSAA know Zollner was in bad shape?  Did Dwenger tell them?  Did Lowell question the condition of the field?  I have seen a fair share of no grass, muddy fields in sectional and regioanal and the game was played on the field.  Can this happen at any level of the tournament or only later on as the prize gets bigger?

Paoli-Monrovia was moved to Plainfield a few years back. Monrovia’s field conditions were the issue, but they couldn’t have handled the crowd that night at home either.

18 minutes ago, Peter Simon Veeder said:

I take it you’re still pushing the conspiracy theory that Fountain Central was trying to get a home game out of it

All's well that ends well.

I don't think Robert Faulkens took it upon himself to inspect the site of a 1A regional.  However, that visit may have been a blessing in disguise.  That, combined with the loss of home soccer/track events, provided a sense of urgency for the crowdsourcing for the facility upgrade.

So, thanks are due to... whomever.

6 minutes ago, kdets89 said:

All's well that ends well.

I don't think Robert Faulkens took it upon himself to inspect the site of a 1A regional.  However, that visit may have been a blessing in disguise.  That, combined with the loss of home soccer/track events, provided a sense of urgency for the crowdsourcing for the facility upgrade.

So, thanks are due to... whomever.

Now for some visitors seating! Good luck tonight, you’ve been my South pick since last season ended. For the record our center from last year told me Lutherans players were some of the most respectful players he’s ever played against 

4 minutes ago, Peter Simon Veeder said:

Now for some visitors seating! Good luck tonight, you’ve been my South pick since last season ended. For the record our center from last year told me Lutherans players were some of the most respectful players he’s ever played against 

Win or lose, that's always good to hear.  Thank you.

East Chicago - Gary West Side sectional championship game was moved to East Chicago a few years ago because West Side had no play clock, lighting issues and poor field comditions.

2 minutes ago, scarletknights said:

Possible solition:

All North Semi-State games at Ball State, all South Semi-State games at IU.

Or at least in large neutral site high school stadiums with turf.

1 minute ago, scarletknights said:

Possible solition:

All North Semi-State games at Ball State, all South Semi-State games at IU.

In an ideal world, that sounds great. And I agree 100% that sites should be neutral. But there would need to be an alternate site for every other year as those schools would have home games the same weekend.

Most MAC schools are done with the regular season by the Friday after Thanksgiving.  This year BSU is done next Tuesday I believe.

What about Indiana State

I think a larger college site would be great.  But, if you've ever had a kid play in a club baseball tournament on a college field, you already know what the rental fee would look like.

6 minutes ago, scarletknights said:

Or at least in large neutral site high school stadiums with turf.

I like that idea. But other factors like parking and seating capacity need to be taken into consideration.

Northern semi-states hosts could be:

6A Carmel

5A Penn

4A Merrillville

3A Homestead

2A Lake Central

1A Westfield

For the Semistate games, they could take a page out the playbook for other sports like basketball & baseball-- select 6 sites for the north & 6 sites for the south before the season begins. After the regional games have been played, the IHSAA then determines which class plays at which site based upon travel distances for the 2 schools.

The only issue would be -- do you let a team who is hosting a game play a "neutral" Semistate on their homefield or do you make them travel to play elsewhere? I think this has been a debated issue in those other sports as well.