• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/20/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired
Olympian06

5A State Title Game : Columbus East vs Kokomo

8 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

Has their ever been a qb rb tandem as small as major/hogan to win a 5a title. I am doubting it. Serious credit goes to those two and obviously the OLINE !

Columbus East success goes straight to their line play. They never quit opening up lanes for the run, and never gave up when they had to pass protect. I mean someone had to run the ball, but anyone on their team could get 100 yards per game with the blocking that the line does.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Boo.    Another dying rust belt industrial city loses again.

Rust belt? Yes. Dying? No. Kokomo's population has grown nearly 50% in the past decade. Haynes Intl, Chrysler, GM, and Delphi are all good to great paying factory jobs. I'll give you the socioeconomic disadvantage part though. Kokomo is a bottom ten school corporation in the state.

Edited by Andy G

After having a bit to digest this game i don't think kokomo played with the urgency that east played with. The first drive of the game for the kats they dropped a wide open pass right off the fingers of the receiver. You don't  drop that pass if you want to win the title. At times kokomo qb made some bad decisions losing huge chunks of yardage with sacks .  Not that kokomo didn't give it a good effort last night but even dullaghan and rakestraw mentioned the 'organizational miscues' for the kats last night.   Had kokomo  not had those miscues the game would have been closer . Would they have won is probably still a shade doubtful east runners and oline were nearly unstoppable.  I did enjoy the kokomo offense thought it was nice to see a change of style . Most would argue that you can't run an offense like that these days and win. But kokomo did it with good success . Congrats to both teams for great seasons. 

13 hours ago, micfootball said:

Kokomo outgaining East 199-184 at half. Time of possession edge 15:58-8:02. Fumble hurt Kokomo. 

The Kats were in this game all the way to the end of the 3rd. Then they started floundering around with pass plays. on several occasions, and also at the start of the 4th. Then that's all she wrote. Even with the score, their ball control was dictating the game up until then.  I think the play calling during that period is what did them in. They just needed to keep hammering up the gut and not try to play catch up at that juncture of the game. Coaches may have pushed the panic button a little to soon. Lots of time left at that point. But any way you look at it The Kats showed why they got that far this year.

Excited for next year! East will have a Jr QB in Cole Gilley (also a D1 baseball prospect) and a Soph RB in McDonald, and Jr RB in Grewie (both are extremely hard runners) McDonald I believe was 5’9 175 as a freshman this year, so I would say he will throw on some more size over the off season!

Go O’s! 

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Thank you for our support.

The Wildkats once in a decade team comes and goes, overpowered by a city/program with definite socioeconomic advantages.  'Tis the way of the world.

Come on Bernie! 

• Downvote 1

So first thoughts on Kokomo. More East thoughts later. Overall Kokomo did what they wanted to do.

Having QB Wade #7 as a lead blocker every play he didn't run it was huge. A 6'3" 225 lead blocker is big in HS football and no other team has that extra blocker from the QB position. It seemed East had more chances at line of scrimmage or in backfield, but #7 would take out lead defender.  Perkins #6 was excellent slashing into holes, obviously not having him half the season makes the Kats much worse. The playoff Kats were much different than regular season Kats as I said earlier.  It was obvious, similar to East, this was a special senior class with #6, #7, #14, and #43 all very good players. They also made plays on some jump ball passes which kept them in the game, particularly end of half when it seemed clock would run out on them. They did not have a streamlined hurry up offense, but made it work at end of half. 

They limited East possessions by eating up a lot of clock. East had 8 possessions, if they would have had 12-14 like normal East would have scored ~60 and the Kats would have had no chance. Kokomo limited East by limiting possessions. They also limited their turnovers. They averaged 2 coming in and only having 1 against your best opponent is overall a win in that regard. I could see how that offense could result in many turnovers and their only fumble was forced, so good job on that front. 

On Defense they also prevented Hogan from getting totally loose. I've never seen Hogan not break a 20+ yarder before. Now that opened up the door for Miller, but they keyed on Hogan and were somewhat successful in bottling him up, at least from a big play perspective, which seemed to be their defensive #1 goal. Again if East scoring drives take more time, it limits possessions, shortens the game and gives the Kats a chance.

Anyway, good job Kats. Great senior class, interesting and weird offense and had the right players, especially QB to run it. Congrats on a great season and playoff run!

1 hour ago, MuleDriver said:

After having a bit to digest this game i don't think kokomo played with the urgency that east played with.

The consensus among most coaches in the know is that Kokomo was going to get beaten badly.  I think they played really well just to keep it as close as they did.  I think they played hard.  They just weren't good enough.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dan Jones said:

The consensus among most coaches in the know is that Kokomo was going to get beaten badly.  I think they played really well just to keep it as close as they did.  I think they played hard.  They just weren't good enough.

Ahhh, hello Mr Jones... 

I’m just happy we didn’t get “the brakes beat off of us” :) 

• Like 1

Okay thoughts on East. They also did what they wanted to do.

On offense, it seemed they could only stop themselves via penalty. They ran the ball at will. 3rd and 3-7 were no problem picking up first downs on the ground. Peppered in 2 long pass attempts,  one successful, but those were likely not needed. Miller #22 had his best 2 games of his career by far, back to back against Cathedral Semi-State and Kokomo at State. What a stage to do that and close your career out. Major did what he does, played excellent took some big hits and kept coming. Hogan didn't have any long runs, but the Kats keyed on him and he still had good yards per carry, plus his biggest play was keeping that block for a long time do Major could habe time for the long TD pass. What a block. Obviously, the o-line and TE/WR did awesome job blocking. 

On defense they did enough to stop Kokomo on some key possessions. 3rd and 3-5 was not add easy for the Kats as it was for the O's. Ty Henderson was huge with forced fumble,  plus the sack, and he ran down a Kat on long run. He was as over the place. With his play the last two weeks,  plus rest of his career,  i hope gaddis nominated him for all state.  O'Connor had huge knock down on 4th and 5 on only possession the Kats had to try and tie it up in second half. They did miss knocking down some jump balls, but did enough. The starters were pulled on last Kokomo drive in junk time.

Great job East. The seniors were workhorses and improved dramatically. You'll be missed,  thanks for these memories! Congrats!

I don't know how many players Kokomo has coming back , but they are putting a real nice program together in the mid state area.

Belated congrats to Columbus East. Last year was Westfield's time. This year, your team looked to be on a mission from the beginning of the season. It looks like your only a regional title next year from moving on up to 6A. 

2 hours ago, WestfieldRocks said:

Belated congrats to Columbus East. Last year was Westfield's time. This year, your team looked to be on a mission from the beginning of the season. It looks like your only a regional title next year from moving on up to 6A. 

My guess is Cathedral keeps that from happening.

Just now, NorthIndySports said:

This year they did not meet until the Semi-State, so they should have a decent chance to at least win the regional next season.

3 hours ago, NorthIndySports said:

I bet you $1000 dollars Cathedral won’t stop CE at Regional. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

I bet you $1000 dollars Cathedral won’t stop CE at Regional. 

because they won't play them.......lol

• Upvote 1

I am willing to go against the odds and take the bet that the ping - pong" balls somehow find themselves with a Cathedral/Roncalli game in Round 1 of Sectional, though.

Called it this year...usually easy money to make that bet.

Edited by Lysander

3 hours ago, Lysander said:

I am willing to go against the odds and take the bet that the ping - pong" balls somehow find themselves with a Cathedral/Roncalli game in Round 1 of Sectional, though.

Called it this year...usually easy money to make that bet.

Careful on wagering on that @Lysander at least not until we know if the IHSAA accepts the IFCA proposal or not. If they do accept it things could really change with grouping 2 sectionals together and seeding the top 2 teams. This means that Sectional 13 Decatur Central, Arsenal Tech, Plainfield, Cathedral, and Roncalli will be combined with Bloomington North, Bloomington South, Franklin, Martinsville, and Whiteland. Then they will seed the top 2 teams using sagarin and then blind draw the rest. If this would have applied to this last season either Decatur Central and Roncalli, Roncalli and Cathedral, or Decatur Central and Cathedral would have been seeded #1 and #2 and the rest blind draw. If it were to happen that Sagarin had Cathedral and Roncalli seeded #1 and #2 they wouldn't meet in the first round, they likely wouldn't meet until the Regional (so long as they both won going forward).

Now if the IHSAA denies the proposal, you can bet your bottom dollar those 2 will meet first round of the tournament (or second round as some like to say because of bye's) in the so called blind ping pong ball draw that always seems to have the magnet force with Cathedral and Roncalli.

13 hours ago, NorthIndySports said:

because they won't play them.......lol

Hey, I was just going off your comment about Cathedral stopping East for a regional championship ;) 

2 hours ago, Ironman said:

Congrats to CE on another Sate Championship, Great Year Gentlemen!!! 

Thank you, and a big congrats to EC in another state championship as well. Always enjoyed our battles against each other.