• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/31/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner

9 hours ago, Lysander said:

The 5th is a great Amendment.  The 21st being my preferred one, though....5ths involved there as well.

Its a great country.

"Shaken, not stirred!"

• Haha 1

A couple of takes from a fella who has lived 20 minutes from Lowell almost all 32 years of my life. 

Lowell obviously has a great team this year built similar to teams that have had great success in the region and beyond. They pride themselves on the fundamentals and their ability to wear teams out...few teams are as well conditioned as Lowell. That's why much of their playbook may seem vanilla but they have honed their skills in a manner that says this is what we are doing and we dare you to stop it. 

Lowell could be mistaken for the "cradle of running backs" as I can rattle off several gamebreakers that played tailback for the Devils. A few that come to mind.

Jeff Clemens (reminds me a lot of JJ in that they are such pure athletes they simply won't be denied and help put Lowell over the top.) You add that type of discipline and mix in a few players with exceptional athletic ability and you have one tough team to stop.

Scott Gray was an awesome little bowling ball to watch skate around.

Brandon Grubbe was a yardage machine, kid put up stats, son. 

Mike Pickett was one of the first star football players I got to enjoy watching in person as a 8 year old or so when I was really starting to get into the game.  MP was a beast.

Ike James...my gosh what a freaking load. Tough back to stop.

My senior year their vaunted #6 was Justin Henley, who was not the brightest star to ever come out of Lowell but that young man had heart. Never stopped moving his legs. Toby Goetz was around I believe as a FB blasting holes. Chuck Thompson was their QB #16 I won't forget because it was my 5th sack of the season. We lost a heartbreaker 28-22 at Fred Jones Field on a chilly October night in which the lights mysteriously went dark as we snapped the ball on a crucial 3rd and 5 a little past midfield late in the 4th. After we restarted 20 minutes later or so they had regrouped from the break much better than we did and our momentum went up in smoke. I'll never forget that! I was going to drink 20 ounces or so of cold milk out of the traveling trophy between KV and Lowell.. I can still taste the bitterness of that loss. Haha anyway back to the business at hand...somehow I like to regale unsuspecting (perhaps unwilling even) hs football fans with my own experiences.

Who was your favorite #6 Lowell running back? especially all you RDP fans out there.

East Central will have their hands full. I see it being a game where the little things make the difference (extra points, field position, special teams efficiency) which Lowell is always good at and I suspect the same out of such a well rounded program like the EC Trojans.

Lowell has a great mexican restaurant, Mi Ranchito, if you find yourself venturing further into Lowell on Commercial AVE. 

I called the cable provider and pleaded to get access to the games which have been difficult for us in the region to get at times. We are forced to take in Comcast Chicago sports coverage...but it's all worked out and the DVR will be whirring away.

Nothing but leftover turkey and gravy sammies with a side of High School Football for this guy.

Also, Happy Thanksgiving to the GID community. Hope it's a good one for you and yours. 

Edited by silvertone1696
Gramma!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

"Shaken, not stirred!"

Man! what a rough crowd.

1 hour ago, silvertone1696 said:

A couple of takes from a fella who has lived 20 minutes from Lowell almost all 32 years of my life. 

Lowell obviously has a great team this year built similar to teams that have had great success in the region and beyond. They pride themselves on the fundamentals and their ability to wear teams out...few teams are as well conditioned as Lowell. That's why much of their playbook may seem vanilla but they have honed their skills in a manner that says this is what we are doing and we dare you to stop it. 

Lowell could be mistaken for the "cradle of running backs" as I can rattle off several gamebreakers that played tailback for the Devils. A few that come to mind.

Jeff Clemens (reminds me a lot of JJ in that they are such pure athletes they simply won't be denied and help put Lowell over the top.) You add that type of discipline and mix in a few players with exceptional athletic ability and you have one tough team to stop.

Scott Gray was an awesome little bowling ball to watch skate around.

Brandon Grubbe was a yardage machine, kid put up stats, son. 

Mike Pickett was one of the first star football players I got to enjoy watching in person as a 8 year old or so when I was really starting to get into the game.  MP was a beast.

Ike James...my gosh what a freaking load. Tough back to stop.

My senior year their vaunted #6 was Justin Henley, who was not the brightest star to ever come out of Lowell but that young man had heart. Never stopped moving his legs. Toby Goetz was around I believe as a FB blasting holes. Chuck Thompson was their QB #16 I won't forget because it was my 5th sack of the season. We lost a heartbreaker 28-22 at Fred Jones Field on a chilly October night in which the lights mysteriously went dark as we snapped the ball on a crucial 3rd and 5 a little past midfield late in the 4th. After we restarted 20 minutes later or so they had regrouped from the break much better than we did and our momentum went up in smoke. I'll never forget that! I was going to drink 20 ounces or so of cold milk out of the traveling trophy between KV and Lowell.. I can still taste the bitterness of that loss. Haha anyway back to the business at hand...somehow I like to regale unsuspecting (perhaps unwilling even) hs football fans with my own experiences.

Who was your favorite #6 Lowell running back? especially all you RDP fans out there.

East Central will have their hands full. I see it being a game where the little things make the difference (extra points, field position, special teams efficiency) which Lowell is always good at and I suspect the same out of such a well rounded program like the EC Trojans.

Lowell has a great mexican restaurant, Mi Ranchito, if you find yourself venturing further into Lowell on Commercial AVE. 

I called the cable provider and pleaded to get access to the games which have been difficult for us in the region to get at times. We are forced to take in Comcast Chicago sports coverage...but it's all worked out and the DVR will be whirring away.

Nothing but leftover turkey and gravy sammies with a side of High School Football for this guy.

Also, Happy Thanksgiving to the GID community. Hope it's a good one for you and yours. 

I'm a tad older than you.  I have fond memories of watching Mike Pickett break the first play from scrimmage for an 80 yard TD against mighty Hobart for Lowell's first regional win under Kennedy.  If you really wanted to watch an electric Lowell TB, you should have seen Matt Pernick.  Everyone kind of forgets him as one of Lowell's past great backs, probably because he took the starting job right as Lowell joined the Northwest Hoosier conference for five years in the mid/late 90's and started whooping the likes of North Newton, KV, Lake Station, River Forest, and North Judson (although NJSP did win two out of the five meetings).  Pernick went on to walk on at Purdue as a wide receiver and was actually in line to start Brees' Junior year, but "things happened" and he was dismissed from the team before the season started.  Might be one of the best pure athletes to come out of Lowell.  

Personally, I'm partial to a lightly touted #6: Mike French.  But that's only cause i played with the guy. Very quick back, who wasn't going to break many long runs, but could weave and cut his way through traffic for a 8-10 yard gain almost at will.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Renn was the best running back at Lowell. Played at Iowa until injury. You youngsters don't know how good Tom was !  

• Upvote 1

Indeed, Lowell has had their fair share of talented athletes and brilliant coaches. Just as they do now.  I’m sure East Central is a great team, etc., but not tomorrow.

Seems like Renn also won a State Wrestling title. There was a lineman on that 76 team that went on to play college ball (Middle Tennessee?) by the name of Paul Sharkey. 

• Like 1

This has been a good thread.  A lot of good banter and viewpoints between two great fan bases.  Either team will be a worthy state champion.  

We have landed at the Slippery Noodle, seems like a nice place. Safe travels to all.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RDP fan said:

We have landed at the Slippery Noodle, seems like a nice place. Safe travels to all.

Oldest bar in Indiana, love the place and love the blues.  Remember seeing fellow Vincennes Alum Governor Davis play there years ago, great atmosphere!

• Upvote 1

2 hard hitting defenses!

East Central - 7

Lowell - 7

6:36 left until halftime 

East Central comes up big with the INT in the end zone!

56 seconds left in the 1st half. 

East Central - 7

Lowell - 7

Halftime

East Central’s D is not letting Lowell run at all. The Lowell passing game has moved the ball. 

Edited by Olympian06

7-7 going into the 4th.

The best 4A teams in the state going toe to toe. 2 teams with smashmouth football 

• Upvote 1

EAST CENTRAL TD!!!

East Central O-Line was dominate on that drive.

East Central - 14

Lowell - 7

2:02 left in the game

On 11/21/2017 at 11:02 PM, RDP fan said:

This Lowell defense is for real. Every team has doubted it . Lowell was going to be unable to stop 6a Portage Qb. There was no way Lowell was going to contain Griffith’s running game. New Prairie had three backs who each had One  ( picture Mike Meyers here) Million yards! Well they stopped New Prairie, but they had not seen a team the size or speed of Bishop Dwenger, let alone a team that had that strength of schedule.. I think you know what happened. If not for a blatant no call on offensive pass interference, Lowell shuts out Dwenger. I know, but passes were dropped on both sides. What my point is, I don’t think EC runs on Lowell. They will gain some yards, but they will not be able to make a living. Lowell 21-7. Hope to see you all in Indy. Safe Travels

I can't believe Lowell lost this game. Turnovers will kill. Congrats to East Central.

Edited by mebuck
  • Like 1

LOTS OF CROW TO BE SERVED UP IN THIS THREAD! 

Congrats to EC on that impressive 4A state title! The EC D came up with some big time plays!

Big congrats from the entire Columbus East Family to our ole sectional rival! 

6 minutes ago, mebuck said:

I can't believe Lowell lost this game. Turnovers will kill. Congrats to East Central.

I can, EC is good. 2 losses coming from out of state. 

Edited by Olympian06
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

East Central oh yeah!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Congrats Trojans on the state title.  Lowell keep your head held high, You guys were a extremely talented team tuff team. Much respect to Lowell team. 

Edited by railsplitters
  • Upvote 3

No crow here I said EC was gonna have to do somethjnf besides run it between the tackles and they did. Great game. Sometimes the better team doesn’t win 😜

Congrats EC! Love seeing former sectional rival bringing home the crown. Good clean game by EC and opportunistic D won it for them. Congrats! Lowell was good as well, turnovers did them in. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, 33 ISO said:

No crow here I said EC was gonna have to do somethjnf besides run it between the tackles and they did. Great game. Sometimes the better team doesn’t win 😜

1 player isn’t going to win a state championship against EC either ;) 

• Upvote 1

Congrats to the Trojans.  They just do what they do.

Justevitch was everything advertised and more.

The type of game I expected but both teams put the ball in the air a bit more than I anticipated...but then, they had to given the tough run defenses on each side.

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1