• Announcements

    • Coach Nowlin

      HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/31/2017

      CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner
Sign in to follow this  
Black_Gold2007

Penn v Ben Davis 6A Title Game

Recommended Posts

Saw a lot of folks this year from inside the MIC comment on how good BD is and some folks very familiar with good football outside of the MIC follow up  with “yeah, but...”. Even the close games weren’t as close as they looked in the paper the next day, and the competition wasn’t always as bad as BD made them look.  This Giants team is just really, really good.  

Edited by CGFan
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ben Davis was very good with an amazing player. While the rest of the 6A was down in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats BD, 63-14 F and that does not due justice to their domination of the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Olympian99 said:

Congrats BD, 63-14 F and that does not due justice to their domination of the game. 

Agreed, they dominated all 3 facets of the game. I knew it would be tough for Penn (who is a very good team) just because Ben Davis has been that good this year. Congratulations to the Ben Davis Giants they are a fantastic team! Congrats on a terrific season for the Penn Kingsman!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea I'm not so sure that if Penn, and Carmel combined they would come close to the BD team this year.  Other than the Giants, I think that 6a was very entertaining, completive and even.

Edited by southend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was very impressed by DB team, they are probably the best HS team I've seen. Congrats to them and the staff and fans. I look forward seeing what Reece can do for IU next year or year after, if they red shirt. I could see him starting as true freshman though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This team did everything it was asked to do. Congratulations to the 2017 Ben Davis Giants for adding to the debate about who is the best team of all time in Indiana High School Football. I truthfully did not expect 63-14.

Penn has a class program and great fans. I wish them the best, as always.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Penn has a class program and great fans. I wish them the best, as always.

WOW!  Ben Davis was everything that the people around Indianapolis that had seen them play had described. They were strong, fast, and had a great game plan.  But they were disciplined and well coached. They didn't taunt and show off their "swagger" like some teams do. How cool is that? They won with class. And isn't that what high school athletics is all about?

Great job Ben Davis! You are the 2017 Indiana High School State Champions!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What an amazing season for Ben Davis football. This will be one of those teams that will be referenced for many years when debating all time greatest teams. I hope the national poll voters/writers at least watch some highlights. This team deserves a top 5 national ranking.

Congrats to the Penn Kingsmen. After the early season struggles, many wrote Penn off. They put things together and made it to state. No shame in losing to what many are saying could be one of the best teams in Indiana high school football history.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PennBall Wizard said:

WOW!  Ben Davis was everything that the people around Indianapolis that had seen them play had described. They were strong, fast, and had a great game plan.  But they were disciplined and well coached. They didn't taunt and show off their "swagger" like some teams do. How cool is that? They won with class. And isn't that what high school athletics is all about?

Great job Ben Davis! You are the 2017 Indiana High School State Champions!

I'll take that as credit to Coach Kirschner

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else notice the handshake between Coach Kirschner and Yeoman at the end of the game? They were talking before the game about how good of friends the 2 were but it definitely didn't seem that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the sake of competitive balance, maybe its time to do an east-west tournament split in 6A.  North can't compete with the south, and Penn's reputation is taking a beating

If Ben Davis and Warren Central are the two best programs year in and year out in the state, then the tournament should be set up so they can play for the championship.

 

 

Edited by DrivenT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, CGFan2017 said:

Anyone else notice the handshake between Coach Kirschner and Yeoman at the end of the game? They were talking before the game about how good of friends the 2 were but it definitely didn't seem that way. 

Surely he wasn’t mad at Coach K. Coach K laid off the gas, BD could have scored 110 had they kept it going lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CGFan2017 said:

Anyone else notice the handshake between Coach Kirschner and Yeoman at the end of the game? They were talking before the game about how good of friends the 2 were but it definitely didn't seem that way. 

I realize BD was a phenomenal ball club, but Penn never showed up. They looked to be not ready to play that game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

Surely he wasn’t mad at Coach K. Coach K laid off the gas, BD could have scored 110 had they kept it going lol 

My guess is that anyone human would have felt a little "raw" after being on the losing end of that game regardless of friendship or respect - despite BD being maybe the most dominating team I have ever seen.  

I credit Coach K for not shooting for the "record" - which he could likely have broken. 

Best leave that special record to the current recordholder.  They seemed to have earned it.

My sense is that no one is rabidly pursuing it.  

Edited by Lysander

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to BD for being the first 2-time State Champs in 6A football!!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Von2Rov said:

Congrats to BD for being the first 2-time State Champs in 6A football!!!

They also broke the 3-way tie with Carmel and Warren Central with the most largest-class state titles!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2017 at 8:12 PM, Peter Simon Veeder said:

Ben Davis looks like they could compete in D3!

Someone had a small sign in the BD crowd at the end wanting to take on 'Bama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CGFan2017 said:

Anyone else notice the handshake between Coach Kirschner and Yeoman at the end of the game? They were talking before the game about how good of friends the 2 were but it definitely didn't seem that way. 

That's unfortunate. I saw nothing that would have precipitated that. They are good friends. In fact, one of BD's former assistants is on the Penn staff. 

4 hours ago, bdgiants02 said:

They also broke the 3-way tie with Carmel and Warren Central with the most largest-class state titles!

Only team to win two 6A Titles!

15 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

I realize BD was a phenomenal ball club, but Penn never showed up. They looked to be not ready to play that game.

Ben Davis had the luxury of not leaving BD until 5:00 pm. That's pretty much standard operating procedure for the Giants. Coach Kirschner has said that he wants to be at the venue by 5:30 for a 7 pm game. They try to backtime it so that happens.

Penn was there at the half of the 4A game. They sat and watched almost the entire second half of the 4A game. I have heard Penn was in the area for most of the day and could have chosen a similar strategy as BD. That said, a coach knows his team best.

Edited by BDGiant93

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still leaning toward the 2003 WC smashing of Penn as the most dominant performance,: however.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DrivenT said:

For the sake of competitive balance, maybe its time to do an east-west tournament split in 6A.  North can't compete with the south, and Penn's reputation is taking a beating

If Ben Davis and Warren Central are the two best programs year in and year out in the state, then the tournament should be set up so they can play for the championship.

 

 

The North cant compete with the south ? Didn't Carmel just win a state title last year ? As far as Penn's Reputation , They just beat the defending champs in Carmel a week ago . Penn would of  been the 3rd or 4th best team in the MIC this year . They just played Center Grove two years ago at state and gave them perhaps their toughest game of the year . They were not ready to play Saturday for reasons I don't know . BD was was going to win regardless (They are top 10 in the Nation) for a reason . They beat Warren by 35 the first meeting, and destroyed everyone in the MIC this year .If Penn's Rep is taking a beating , what is Carmel's doing ? It seems the 3 times that Penn has been blown out at state ,(Warren , Carmel , BD ), they have made tons of early mistakes , like a deer in the headlights at the beginning of the game , and it snowballs . To me , that is coaching , have your players ready to play .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't consider Carmel a "northern" school.  They just happen to fall into the north bracket due to numbers.

Nobody remembers Penn's state title victories, (other than you locals) which is a shame.  They do remember the ugly beatdowns, which is just human nature.  

Penn doesn't have the athletes to compete with a generational team like this Ben Davis squad, or the mid 2000s Warren Central teams.  Penn has size, numbers, grit and excellent coaching.  They lack athletic talent and overall team speed.  Its just who they are.  Or more precisely, who they aren't.  

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Ben Davis had the luxury of not leaving BD until 5:00 pm. That's pretty much standard operating procedure for the Giants. Coach Kirschner has said that he wants to be at the venue by 5:30 for a 7 pm game. They try to backtime it so that happens.

In what was an extreme oddity, at least I pray it was, 7 of Penn's final 9 games were on the road. That includes having to play 4 of their 5 playoff games on the road. Did anyone else suffer that fate?

Oct. 27 at Valparaiso {6A}  W 13-  0  sectional
Nov. 3 Warsaw {6A}  W 40-  0  sectional
Nov. 10 at Crown Point {6A}  W 33-  3  regional 
Nov. 17 at Carmel {6A}  W 34-  7  semistate 
Nov. 25 (Lucas Oil Stadium) Ben Davis {6A}   L 14-63  state 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

I don't consider Carmel a "northern" school.  They just happen to fall into the north bracket due to numbers.

Nobody remembers Penn's state title victories, (other than you locals) which is a shame.  They do remember the ugly beatdowns, which is just human nature.  

Penn doesn't have the athletes to compete with a generational team like this Ben Davis squad, or the mid 2000s Warren Central teams.  Penn has size, numbers, grit and excellent coaching.  They lack athletic talent and overall team speed.  Its just who they are.  Or more precisely, who they aren't.  

 

 

There are alot of teams in the Indy area that do have the so called Athletes to compete with the "generational teams", but they to took beatdowns at some point in said season's . So why do you single out Penn ? Could you imagine what Reece Taylor would of done to Avon or Fishers in a Climate controlled setting with no elements  like wind , rain , cold etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From a pure talent standpoint, there were probably 8 or 10 6A teams that were better on paper than Penn this season.

I doubt too many would argue that point.  

Just the nature of the draw, which is why I would like to see a new format such as the East - West scenario.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.