• Announcements

    • Coach Nowlin

      HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/29/2017

      CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak  Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired
Sign in to follow this  
Black_Gold2007

Penn v Ben Davis 6A Title Game

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, DrivenT said:

I believe Valpo also beat Penn.

I think Laporte and MC are better teams than Valpo, despite both losing during the regular season to the Vikes.  Both have better coaching staffs, which becomes more relevant in the post season.  

Penn should probably try to restart a series with one of the big Indy schools.  That seemed to really be a boost to their program.  

 

This is what should have been happening for a long time.  With 4 open games a year, they should try to book 4 Indy teams.  As long as the tournament is all in, who cares what your won/loss record is.  Play the teams you expect to meet in the state finals.  Even if they can't get 4 Indy teams, then look West and play some teams in the Dupage Valley Conference. (all the teams that are left will be looking to add games to their season as the conference has blown up and only 5 teams remain of the 9)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

I am not a transitive property guy, but Valpo beat Penn in regular season when it doesnt "matter".  Crown Point beat Valpo in the regular season when it doesnt "matter" (besides for conference championship implications....if you care about that).  Valpo lost to Penn in sectionals.  CP lost to Penn in regionals.  Penn goes to state.

What I take away from this is just how far behind OVERALL fb wise nwi is to Indy in 6A (only speaking this class here).

If it was just a 6A thing with NWI being behind, Indy then why was runner up Lowell the lone rep this year, none from NWI last year, and Whiting lone rep two years back.....and have to go back to 2014 for the last champion for NWI, that being Rensselaer Central(Andrean, LaPorte,  and New Prairie were runners up that year)...The numbers say NWI is behind at all levels.

Over the same span Indy and donuts had 6A champ and 3A runner up this year....4 of 6 champs and a runner up last year....3 champs and a runner up in 2015...and 4 champs and a runner up in 2014---That's 12 titles and 4 runners up over 4 years for Indy and 1 title and 5 runner ups over four years for NWI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Indyyjr said:

If it was just a 6A thing with NWI being behind, Indy then why was runner up Lowell the lone rep this year, none from NWI last year, and Whiting lone rep two years back.....and have to go back to 2014 for the last champion for NWI, that being Rensselaer Central(Andrean, LaPorte,  and New Prairie were runners up that year)...The numbers say NWI is behind at all levels.

Over the same span Indy and donuts had 6A champ and 3A runner up this year....4 of 6 champs and a runner up last year....3 champs and a runner up in 2015...and 4 champs and a runner up in 2014---That's 12 titles and 4 runners up over 4 years for Indy and 1 title and 5 runner ups over four years for NWI

Because I was just speaking about 6A in that post.  I thought I made that clear, but I guess I didn't.

Edited by Coach Ellenwood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Attila the Hun said:

This is what should have been happening for a long time.  With 4 open games a year, they should try to book 4 Indy teams.  As long as the tournament is all in, who cares what your won/loss record is.  Play the teams you expect to meet in the state finals.  Even if they can't get 4 Indy teams, then look West and play some teams in the Dupage Valley Conference. (all the teams that are left will be looking to add games to their season as the conference has blown up and only 5 teams remain of the 9)

Penn did have 2 teams on their schedule from Michigan. Unfortunately both were having rather down years. Birmingham Brother Rice had an okay year at 7-4, but Orchard Lake St. Mary's was very down this year with a 2-6 record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

Penn did have 2 teams on their schedule from Michigan. Unfortunately both were having rather down years. Birmingham Brother Rice had an okay year at 7-4, but Orchard Lake St. Mary's was very down this year with a 2-6 record.

I know St Mary's were down this year, but c'mon try to get two MIC teams on the schedule.  They need to get away from the DAC teams too.   Those games just don't get them ready for what is coming.   At least you get to see what these teams do and if you get the chance to play them again, you can game plan for it.   You can't go down to state and then get your brains beat in every year.  As an Alumni, it just gets old to see these kids have the deer in the headlight looks when they get to state.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Attila the Hun said:

They need to get away from the DAC teams too.   

I agree.  Penn and Snider should be playing every year.  They used to play in-season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gindie said:

I agree.  Penn and Snider should be playing every year.  They used to play in-season.

It will never happen. Snider is in an island conference. Homestead and Carroll were added to the SAC to make 10 teams. Each team plays one another once. It makes scheduling easy. However, it hurts attendance. No one wants to see Snider play South Side. And quite frankly, not many even show up for Luers or Concordia. Having a Penn on their schedule would be a boost to the athletic department. Unfortunately, ease of scheduling trumps game day revenue. Sad, and quite frankly, not very smart.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Attila the Hun said:

This is what should have been happening for a long time.  With 4 open games a year, they should try to book 4 Indy teams.  As long as the tournament is all in, who cares what your won/loss record is.  Play the teams you expect to meet in the state finals.  Even if they can't get 4 Indy teams, then look West and play some teams in the Dupage Valley Conference. (all the teams that are left will be looking to add games to their season as the conference has blown up and only 5 teams remain of the 9)

So the DuPage is now just down to Naperville Central/North and the 3 Valley schools? Crazy to see that Conference implode. I guess the demise of once powerful Wheaton-Warrenville South was just a precursor to the realiity that the Naperville and Aurora Schools are becoming all around too big for the Wheaton schools, Glenbard North, and Lake Park.

Waubonsie Valley traveled to Fishers last year and gave HSE a whooping. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the remaining 5 end up on Indiana schedules. That would be a great opportunity for Penn. I'm a former DAC player and will always love the DAC, but it's just not a football conference anymore. Baseball and Soccer are the priorities and a few schools have very strong basketball programs. Penn won't gain much by playing the Duneland until schools like Merrillville, Portage, and Lake Central return to their previous strengths. IMO, the loss to Valpo this year was a fluke and the score of the Penn/Merrillville game in week 2 was a pretty good indicator Penn just wasn't clicking at the beginning of the year. 

It's really a shame that the SAC has no room for OOC games as Penn/Snider would be an excellent yearly rivalry.

 

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Attila the Hun said:

but c'mon try to get two MIC teams on the schedule

Why would the MIC schedule northern teams when they have Hoosier Crossroads in the same general footprint? Same, or better, competition and much less travel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Boilernation said:

 It's really a shame that the SAC has no room for OOC games as Penn/Snider would be an excellent yearly rivalry.

 

Both teams are at the top of their conference. Snider is the benchmark for the northeast, Penn is the benchmark for the northwest. A renewed Snider/Penn series would make both teams better come playoff time. Not too mention, Panther fans will pack the house when the Kingsmen come to town. Good revenue for the athletic program. If I know Snider is playing in a game that will be a 40+ blowout, I'll just stay home...............possibly watch it on the internet (which is also killing attendance), but doubtful. I say, drop South Side and Wayne and bring back Penn and Cathedral. Snider will be better in the postseason for it. The athletic department will be in better financial position for it.

6 hours ago, butlerguy03 said:

Why would the MIC schedule northern teams when they have Hoosier Crossroads in the same general footprint? Same, or better, competition and much less travel.

Same, not better. Fact, not fiction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Boilernation said:

So the DuPage is now just down to Naperville Central/North and the 3 Valley schools? Crazy to see that Conference implode. I guess the demise of once powerful Wheaton-Warrenville South was just a precursor to the realiity that the Naperville and Aurora Schools are becoming all around too big for the Wheaton schools, Glenbard North, and Lake Park.

Waubonsie Valley traveled to Fishers last year and gave HSE a whooping. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the remaining 5 end up on Indiana schedules. That would be a great opportunity for Penn. I'm a former DAC player and will always love the DAC, but it's just not a football conference anymore. Baseball and Soccer are the priorities and a few schools have very strong basketball programs. Penn won't gain much by playing the Duneland until schools like Merrillville, Portage, and Lake Central return to their previous strengths. IMO, the loss to Valpo this year was a fluke and the score of the Penn/Merrillville game in week 2 was a pretty good indicator Penn just wasn't clicking at the beginning of the year. 

It's really a shame that the SAC has no room for OOC games as Penn/Snider would be an excellent yearly rivalry.

 

I expect Merrillville will come back strong, when they announce the new coaching hire.    Portage will be decent.  Lake Central doesnt care about football anymore.  Cant figure out why they spent millions on a new football facility and then go out and give up on the sport.  Crazy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, BTF said:

It will never happen. Snider is in an island conference. Homestead and Carroll were added to the SAC to make 10 teams. Each team plays one another once. It makes scheduling easy. However, it hurts attendance. No one wants to see Snider play South Side. And quite frankly, not many even show up for Luers or Concordia. Having a Penn on their schedule would be a boost to the athletic department. Unfortunately, ease of scheduling trumps game day revenue. Sad, and quite frankly, not very smart.

Been saying the same thing for years. Just dumb for Snider to play North Side, Wayne, South Side, Northrop, etc... You can count on one hand the amount of times they have lost to these teams in the last 25 years combined. It does nothing for them to play these teams. Play Penn, Carmel, Ben Davis, etc... Quite honestly, it means zero to win the SAC in football, would rather play competitive games.

Edited by komets3001

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's only one team other than themselves that could beat Ben Davis in the state this year...a healthy Warren Central.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.