• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/31/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner
Sign in to follow this  
Black_Gold2007

Penn v Ben Davis 6A Title Game

I want to start of by congratulating both Avon and Carmel on great seasons, I believe that the Carmel came was much more competitive then the score says it was.  Penn capitalized on mistakes and turned them into points.  

I am very excited that this state title game comes back down to two rivals.  I remember after a tough loss down at Ben Davis my sophomore year the entire Ben Davis team and staff waited for us in the cafeteria and applauded us.  They won by 14 points, but the respect that they showed made an impact.  Love this rivalry very excited that it has come down to this.  I look forward to seeing how good Ben Davis is and what Penn can do to win this game and bring their 6 title home.

This will be the 4th time these two schools play for a title game, Ben Davis is 2-1 so far.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

While I am a BD first and MIC second fan, I have to admit, I was rooting for Penn last night. I absolutely loved this friendly rivalry and like Black_Gold2007 mentioned, I too have fond memories of hanging out with our football brothers to the north after our games. I was FURIOUS when the yearly game was not renewed. I think this was not only a great early season test for both teams, but became one of those games that high school kids would talk about for years to come (as I still do). 

I am very excited to attend this game next week and see all that purple, white, black and gold fill up the stadium like the old days!

PS: Anyone doubting that Resse Taylor is Mr. Football is insane. I'm very close to saying Reese is the best pure athlete player BD has ever had. I played with James Banks, so thats saying something!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Reese is like watching a video game. Sometimes I think he doesn’t know what he’s going to do until he receives the snap. With the no huddle and spread, the defense must always hustle to get back into position. 

2 hours ago, bdgiants02 said:

While I am a BD first and MIC second fan, I have to admit, I was rooting for Penn last night. I absolutely loved this friendly rivalry and like Black_Gold2007 mentioned, I too have fond memories of hanging out with our football brothers to the north after our games. I was FURIOUS when the yearly game was not renewed. I think this was not only a great early season test for both teams, but became one of those games that high school kids would talk about for years to come (as I still do). 

I am very excited to attend this game next week and see all that purple, white, black and gold fill up the stadium like the old days!

PS: Anyone doubting that Resse Taylor is Mr. Football is insane. I'm very close to saying Reese is the best pure athlete player BD has ever had. I played with James Banks, so thats saying something!

Reese reminds Me a lot of Dexter Taylor {related I wonder?}

, You would think you had Him down and somehow He squirts out and gets away. Reese Taylor is 2017 Mr Football.

4 hours ago, bdgiants02 said:

Yea I could see you rooting against one of your nemesis's. But I'm not so sure this Penn team,after watching for the first time, and is loaded with sophomores,  might not be able to take the 6a trophy. where as I don't think Carmel could.

11/17 Ben Davis and Penn games have been decided by eight points or less even though BD has won 13/17 of them.

Watched Ben Davis earlier this year and again online last night. They’re probably the best high school team I’ve ever seen. BD wins this going away by large margin. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, TomKing said:

Watched Ben Davis earlier this year and again online last night. They’re probably the best high school team I’ve ever seen. BD wins this going away by large margin. 

By large margin you mean 20 or 40?

I think Penn will give BD better game then most expect. Prediction to come later after I see the line in Vegas. 

For those who remember...  Can't wait....

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

For those who remember...  Can't wait....

PRIMEtime.

https://youtu.be/Tis-3Mddboo

Edited by Gonzoron
  • Haha 1

Geez... a pass rush might be pointless. He gets rid of it so quick and if your DL works too far upfield 99% of LB’s have no chance shadowing. 

On 11/18/2017 at 12:34 PM, Staxawax said:

Reese is like watching a video game. Sometimes I think he doesn’t know what he’s going to do until he receives the snap. With the no huddle and spread, the defense must always hustle to get back into position. 

Talk to Mike Kirschner. Reese knows what he's doing, and BD gives him the freedom to improvise when he sees things. Reese is not only talented, but he's smart. He's incredibly hard to fool.

7 hours ago, psaboy said:

Looks no bigger than 5 foot 7

I think he's 5'9", someone from BD can clarify.

After watching BD first hand, it's clear that they are the best team in the state.  They appear to be one of the most talented teams I've ever seen in the state of Indiana.  Would be fun to see how they matched up against the likes of the mid 2000's Warren Teams. 

As for the state game.  Penn better bring it.  Hope they have an answer for this QB.  Otherwise this could be a long game.  I won't count them out (being that I haven't seen them play) but I gotta believe these Giants are too much to handle.  Either that, or we'll see the biggest upset, maybe of all time! 

I'll go BD 44-20

I love that no one is giving Penn much of a chance. I'm not even giving them much of a chance, so hopefully they can go out there and prove everyone wrong. It's going to be hard to beat Ben Davis. Their offense will be the best Penn has seen this year by far this season. I have this one Ben Davis 31 Penn 20.

• Upvote 1

Ben Davis Offense is tough to stop. It's a pick your poison type of thing. You have Delbert Mimms, Johnny Adams, and you have to account for Reese Taylor in the rushing attack. Then in the passing game you have to account for Broc Thompson, Jermaine Hoskins,  and Kesean Tunstill. When you think you have the WR's covered Reese Taylor takes off with great field vision. It is a dynamic offense that is tough to stop all the weapons at one time. At times it feels like you have to outscore them and even that is tough to do.

Penn is a good team and will play hard. They have a large task at hand to try and slow this Ben Davis offense. They are a well coached team and will play hard anything can happen, but this Ben Davis team is really really good. I think some who may not have watched them play in person will be in awe of the Giants Offense. Ben Davis has a solid defense too that doesn't always get looked at because the Offense is so dynamic.

2 hours ago, Hog5761 said:

I love that no one is giving Penn much of a chance. I'm not even giving them much of a chance, so hopefully they can go out there and prove everyone wrong. It's going to be hard to beat Ben Davis. Their offense will be the best Penn has seen this year by far this season. I have this one Ben Davis 31 Penn 20.

BD has been held to 31 only one time this season.  I'm going to venture a guess that you will need to score at least 40 to beat those dudes.  Maybe 50. 

I hope Penn makes it a game.  Good luck to you guys!

In Penn's 3 peat games in '95 - '96 -'97 , they were the underdogs in all three. Don't count them out.

• Upvote 1

Penn won the coin toss and will wear the home black uniforms against Ben Davis on Saturday in the 6A state title game.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NRRaider2001 said:
Penn won the coin toss and will wear the home black uniforms against Ben Davis on Saturday in the 6A state title game.

Yes, everyone thought Carmel would roll them because of penns lack of game "competition". I say close game taking penn 21-14.

reply meant for bittersweet lol

Edited by Cougs73

8 minutes ago, Cougs73 said:

Yes, everyone thought Carmel would roll them because of penns lack of game "competition". I say close game taking penn 21-14.

14?  Yowsers!  BD will score 14 in the first half, and possibly the 1st quarter.  Penn will have to "outscore" BD to win (channeling my inner-Madden).  They won't be holding them to a low score.... at least not as low as 14

Edited by Von2Rov
  • Upvote 1