• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/31/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland
CharlieTweeder

1A Title Eastern Greene vs Pioneer

8 minutes ago, Andy G said:

Just like the old saying. It seems like Pioneer has had the Xs and Os for 20 years now and that alone is good enough for a conference title most years. When Pioneer has the Jimmy's and Joe's though, that's when they can take the Wing-T to the next level. What Mike Johnson originally built in lil ole Royal Center has become pretty special.

No offense to Coach Johnson because he pretty much built the program at Pioneer. What brought Pioneer to the next level was moving their best running back from FB to QB and switching to mid line veer with QB option. In my opinion. Having a pretty solid defense doesn't hurt either.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gaponbacker said:

No offense to Coach Johnson because he pretty much built the program at Pioneer. What brought Pioneer to the next level was moving their best running back from FB to QB and switching to mid line veer with QB option. In my opinion. Having a pretty solid defense doesn't hurt either.

It's just midline. There is no midline veer. The fullback's track is straight up the butt crack of the center on midline. On inside or outside veer the fullback veers to one side of the offensive line.

25 minutes ago, Woody Hayes said:

It's just midline. There is no midline veer. The fullback's track is straight up the butt crack of the center on midline. On inside or outside veer the fullback veers to one side of the offensive line.

Oh okay, thanks for straightening me out.  

Pioneer runs both midline and inside/outside veer... depending on the DL alignment our QB has full command to check to the best play.  So in general terms we'll say we are a Wing-T and a "midline/veer" team.  Mike Johnson was strictly traditional Wing-T at Pioneer.  Adam Berry uses the Wing-T as our base offense, and then has deviated with some other plays like midline/veer that take advantage of some defensive alignments WHILE expanding the role of our best players.

• Upvote 3

I had the chance to listen to Coach Johnson speak about his offense (and overall program) in a small group setting.  That guy had a fire in his eye that left zero thought about why his program(s) were successful.  I walked away thinking there was no other offensive concept in the world to even consider.

• Upvote 1

adjusting and adapting from year to year to your personnel.   BLASPHEMY I TELL YA :17_v:

That Gun Outside VEER is WICKED with #4 back there.  Then add the lead blocker, Good Night Sally 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I remember Coach J always saying if he wasn't running the wing-t he'd be a midline/veer team.

great offenses for high school teams 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

adjusting and adapting from year to year to your personnel.   BLASPHEMY I TELL YA :17_v:

That Gun Outside VEER is WICKED with #4 back there.  Then add the lead blocker, Good Night Sally 

9 minutes ago, takkle4 said:

Pioneer runs both midline and inside/outside veer... depending on the DL alignment our QB has full command to check to the best play.  So in general terms we'll say we are a Wing-T and a "midline/veer" team.  Mike Johnson was strictly traditional Wing-T at Pioneer.  Adam Berry uses the Wing-T as our base offense, and then has deviated with some other plays like midline/veer that take advantage of some defensive alignments WHILE expanding the role of our best players.

55 minutes ago, Woody Hayes said:

Such confusion, no wonder people have had such a hard time with Pioneer.:10_v:I guess I'll just have to see it all again Friday and try to figure it out. Thanks Coach Nowlin and takkle4 for the re-straightening!

12 minutes ago, takkle4 said:

Ya that qb seems to have a pretty fair grasp of things.   He isn't ranked #1 in his class for nothing I guess

18 minutes ago, Gaponbacker said:

Such confusion, no wonder people have had such a hard time with Pioneer.:10_v:I guess I'll just have to see it all again Friday and try to figure it out. Thanks Coach Nowlin and takkle4 for the re-straightening!

The way to determine the difference between the three plays is the path of the fullback. Midline = butt crack of the center. Inside Veer =Inside hip of the guard. Outside Veer = Inside hip of the tackle. That said, it's been a few years since I've been to Statesboro. Maybe that's changed.

25 minutes ago, Woody Hayes said:

The way to determine the difference between the three plays is the path of the fullback. Midline = butt crack of the center. Inside Veer =Inside hip of the guard. Outside Veer = Inside hip of the tackle. That said, it's been a few years since I've been to Statesboro. Maybe that's changed.

Oh man, my head is spinning now,what to do? 

7 minutes ago, Gaponbacker said:

I have a feeling you know more than you let on lol

7 minutes ago, Gaponbacker said:

Better than the head of the FB if the center on midline doesn't create a path.  Or the center's midline, for that matter.

That's what's so great about the wing-t I played in that system from the time I was in 7th grade all the way through my senior year...it's so great because it's a lot about the angles and paths you take to make the play work...it allows smalls schools without the biggest lineman and fastest backs to have a good offense...no matter how well you defend it if the offense executes the angles correctly and take good paths you will have great success...unlike most offenses where you can have success with plays without any good execution of the play...only downside with the wing t is if you don't execute almost perfectly each play and play against good competition it's a busted play every time...I LOVE IT!!! You can really wear a team down and break them menatally if you run the wing t with perfection and that's what pioneer does is run it better than anyone else regardless of class and that's why they will win state this year

2 hours ago, Peter Simon Veeder said:

Is that a gut feeling?:17_v:

Think it's more of a brain feeling 😂 Obviously if a team makes it to state they are very good but Pioneer is just simply way better than any other 1A team has to offer...would probably put this Pioneer team up there against some of the LCC teams from the past 10 years 😬😬😬 believe they could win and compete with the elite 1A teams from the past they are that good...an interesting thing that might happen if they win state this year is they would have started out as number 1 in the polls and finished undefeated and number 1 in the polls and run the table for 15-16 weeks as the number one ranked team all season long...does this happen often? If so would like some insight

They have to win first.  

Sheridan and LCC both won 3-4 straight titles.  They surely were number one for those 3-4 years straight 

This game could be a real slugfest. Hamilton pounds the rock and so does Jack so that match-up could be a wash.  Supporting casts will decide it

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CharlieTweeder said:

They have to win first.  

Sheridan and LCC both won 3-4 straight titles.  They surely were number one for those 3-4 years straight 

This game could be a real slugfest. Hamilton pounds the rock and so does Jack so that match-up could be a wash.  Supporting casts will decide it

Yeah almost forgot about those Sheridan teams with Nich Zachary and company they were another 1A team that was just amazing how good they were they as well as LCC from 09-14 and  now Pioneer would beat most of the 2A state champs and make deep runs in the playoffs for 3A if not win...i was in 7th grade and went down and watched our high school team play Sheridan at Semi State back in 2007 and they just absolutely man handled us from start to finish it's was a no contest I think the final score was like 48-7 or something they were on a whole other level for 1A...if you looked at there sidelines it looked like a 4A or 5A team is was just crazy..and definately agree Pioneer needs to win multiple in a row to establish themselves with the Sheridan dynasty from the mid 2000s to 2009 and with LCC dynasty from 2009-14 or 15 where they had multiple 15-0 seasons and were state champs..but this Pioneer team could definately compete with them...but idk if they have that one elite player like Sheridan had in Nick Zachary and the QB they had who both went D-1 witch is amazing for a 1A team or like the defense LCC had for there runs and a player like Danny Anthrop but only time will tell..don't know much about him but they say the Kiser kid for Pioneer is very good..I love 1A football 😂😂

17 hours ago, Woody Hayes said:

I wasn't calling out Dugger. I was messing with Hick. I would never call out Dugger. Their Casey's has been a vital road trip bathroom stop for my family many times.

Word on the street is you may no longer be making the aforementioned road trips!?? Should your use of modern technology get in the way, I'll be making a push to have all potty breaks moved across the highway where the "facilities" are less than accommodating. Better pack some hand sanitizer before you hit the road!

Edited by hick
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I love it. I was skeptical about picking Coach Berry but they definitely made the right choice! Makes me wonder if a Lewellen will be running the same at QB in two years. Should be fun!

7 hours ago, Hawg2013 said:

Think it's more of a brain feeling 😂 Obviously if a team makes it to state they are very good but Pioneer is just simply way better than any other 1A team has to offer...would probably put this Pioneer team up there against some of the LCC teams from the past 10 years 😬😬😬 believe they could win and compete with the elite 1A teams from the past they are that good...an interesting thing that might happen if they win state this year is they would have started out as number 1 in the polls and finished undefeated and number 1 in the polls and run the table for 15-16 weeks as the number one ranked team all season long...does this happen often? If so would like some insight

Yeah, LCC did it for a few years in a row.  They won something like 43 consecutive games and were everybody's #1 in the polls and the Sags.

10 hours ago, Peter Simon Veeder said:

Is that a gut feeling?:17_v:

He’s the same *Deleted* that predicted Cathedral by 35 last week. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hawg2013 said:

That’s a little joke from the WRC and sectional 47. Not wanting to get anLCC forum going but the 2009 team was on an entirely different level.

• Upvote 1