• Announcements

    • Coach Nowlin

      HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/28/2017

      CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak  Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street
CharlieTweeder

1A Title Eastern Greene vs Pioneer

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Greene County Coach said:

Eastern represented themselves well.  As for the program, next year and even the year after will be a big for them.  There is enough talent returning to be a factor next year with Campbell, Fox, Southern, Terry, and Evans returning.  The coaching is there, but it really comes down to the kids.  Are those freshman, sophomores, and JH kids going to work hard enough to fill the gaps for next year and beyond. That is the difference between the teams that are yearly contenders and everybody else.  

Example, look at the school all the way across Greene county, west end that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, southend said:

Example, look at the school all the way across Greene county, west end that is.

That's a program over there (west end).  I mentioned this in another thread.  I believe Eastern Greene is on the verge of becoming a program and NOT just having a team.  As GCC stated, will the returning classes plus the new freshmen be willing to work hard enough to keep it going?  You know how it is with some of the smaller schools:  one class comes through and has a couple of good years.  Then they fall off the map for a while.  I'm hoping that Eastern can stay on top now and be competitive year in, year out.  The bar has been set by this group of seniors  This is the time of year that I always talk about weight lifting and conditioning.  NOW is the time to get started for next season.  I know some of the football players also play basketball and baseball, but for those who don't, GET STARTED!  Those players who are better the next season don't get that way just because they are another year older.  It takes a lot of dedication and hard work.  I've always taught my kids, "whatever you put into something, is what you'll get out of it". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2017 at 12:50 PM, TightEndOpenAgain said:

The thing that really impresses me about Kiser is they also make him run to and from the sideline to get nearly every play from Coach Berry

During the Knox game he was running back and forth and it was defiantly gassing him, but also he had more carries that game then he was any other time too so that didn't help his case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One observation from the game, it seemed that big difference in the game was pad level.  I thought the two teams were very evenly matched, but as you watch the game up front, it seemed that Pioneer played with a much lower pad level than EG did.  Would like to know if anyone else felt this way.  To me it was a big difference in the game.

Edited by punttheball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never understood why coaches have their QB's run to the sideline to get plays.  I know there's less chance for confusion, but surely you have trusted guys that can carry a play in.  On the other hand, maybe Berry was just curious to know what play Kiser was going to call when he got back to the huddle!  Ha!  :07_v:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps coach Berry gets input from his qb as to what he is seeing.

I thought E.G. Played really hard but also struggled with the adrenaline drain of being there for the first time.  Pioneer's seniors making their 3rd trip made their adjustment much better as well as Pioneer rotating their guys in the trenches liberally.  Something they didn't do last year. 

Didnt feel they were really evenly matched.  Our speed advantage was pretty glaring to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CharlieTweeder said:

Perhaps coach Berry gets input from his qb as to what he is seeing.

Of course that's obviously the correct answer.  I just hate seeing the most active guy on the field running all those extra yards every game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, CharlieTweeder said:

Perhaps coach Berry gets input from his qb as to what he is seeing.

I thought E.G. Played really hard but also struggled with the adrenaline drain of being there for the first time.  Pioneer's seniors making their 3rd trip made their adjustment much better as well as Pioneer rotating their guys in the trenches liberally.  Something they didn't do last year. 

Didnt feel they were really evenly matched.  Our speed advantage was pretty glaring to me.

Good observations, but I did not seem to see a glaring difference in speed as it seemed that Pioneer had most of its success running midline, trap, and power read.  It seemed that most plays were right through the heart of the defense.  I did not feel the point of attack was the edge of the defense. 

Edited by punttheball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, punttheball said:

One observation from the game, it seemed that big difference in the game was bad level.  I thought the two teams were very evenly matched, but as you watch the game up front, it seemed that Pioneer played with a much lower pad level than EG did.  Would like to know if anyone else felt this way.  To me it was a big difference in the game.

I agree. I didn't feel the E.G.size advantage was worth much on the offensive side. They didn't look real mobile. No disrespect intended!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CharlieTweeder said:

anybody catch Jack?  

Speed differential showed on defense

You are missing the point and that is ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Explain it to me then

I saw E.G. Run a screen to the back that Pioneers quickness blew up. I saw E.G. throw slip screen to wr that Pioneer Def end ran down for a loss.  Threw bubble #5 ran down that looked like huge gain got 4 yds

Their speed eliminated big plays time and again

In all honesty I thought Pioneer could take whatever they chose to take.  They could've thrown the short rtes all day long or ran the hbs on jet as well.  Coach Berry likes the ball in 4's hands, and who can blame him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CharlieTweeder said:

Perhaps coach Berry gets input from his qb as to what he is seeing.

I thought E.G. Played really hard but also struggled with the adrenaline drain of being there for the first time.  Pioneer's seniors making their 3rd trip made their adjustment much better as well as Pioneer rotating their guys in the trenches liberally.  Something they didn't do last year. 

Didnt feel they were really evenly matched.  Our speed advantage was pretty glaring to me.

I thought the adrenaline drain was very noticeable; in fact I told a friend of mine when the game started that I was afraid EG was a little too fired up before kickoff. Sure it is a very hard thing to control though 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, punttheball said:

One observation from the game, it seemed that big difference in the game was pad level.  I thought the two teams were very evenly matched, but as you watch the game up front, it seemed that Pioneer played with a much lower pad level than EG did.  Would like to know if anyone else felt this way.  To me it was a big difference in the game.

I was impressed with how low Kiser would get after initial contact without losing any speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CharlieTweeder said:

Explain it to me then

I saw E.G. Run a screen to the back that Pioneers quickness blew up. I saw E.G. throw slip screen to wr that Pioneer Def end ran down for a loss.  Threw bubble #5 ran down that looked like huge gain got 4 yds

Their speed eliminated big plays time and again

In all honesty I thought Pioneer could take whatever they chose to take.  They could've thrown the short rtes all day long or ran the hbs on jet as well.  Coach Berry likes the ball in 4's hands, and who can blame him

So it wasn't my point that speed was the only noticeable difference in the game, and maybe I didn't explain very well.  I felt that much of Pioneers success in all aspects of the game was won at the line of scrimmage.  It was glaring to me that EG played very tall up front the entire game.  Not that speed wasn't a factor, but Pioneer had any downhill play they wanted because their oline had better leverage.  I'm not sure Pioneer needed to run anything but trap. if you take #5 out of the game on offense I think pioneer still scores 35 points or better just because of winning the battle in the trenches. 

On the defensive side, it is nice to have a front 4 that allows Pioneer the flexibility they have in the lb/secondary alignments and responsibilities.  Again, feel that pad level was a huge part of this.  Pioneer just played with better leverage.  

So not saying Pioneer didn't have a speed advantage.  I felt the speed difference was closer than the difference in the trenches every down. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While on the subject of line blocking, I will say it was disheartening to see EG resort to cut blocking Pioneer's defensive lineman late in the 3rd quarter and into the 4th. I know this is legal as far as rules go but I would like to see this 'tactic' flagged in the near future in High School football. We preach safety but continue to let this happen. No disrespect to EG players or coaches, I'm just not a fan of the blocking style because of the overwhelming risk involved.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speed was a big difference.  Just because they didn't take advantage of the outside... doesn't mean it wasn't there.  Eastern's strength was in the middle.  Pioneer imposed their will on a very big and physical EG defense.  That is a credit to Pioneer more so than a shot at EG.

Pioneer's speed on defense was evident, but Eastern still had early success powering it behind their big line.  I felt like the real difference was when Pioneer briefly went to the look of a 5 man front.  That stalled their momentum.  Until then, I think Eastern believed they could bully the Pioneer line for multiple scores.  From that point on... it was Gregorich who caused EG the most problems.  He may have sacrificed tackles, but he plugged holes and forced Hamilton to run east and west more than he is accustomed to.  That is when Pioneer's speed started to show.  I hate to think how many times #20 and #14 chased down an EG back from the backside due to the hole being plugged.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CharlieTweeder said:

Didnt feel they were really evenly matched.  Our speed advantage was pretty glaring to me.

Yes, this. Pioneer's defense overwhelmed Eastern's offense at the point of attack time after time. They were able to do this because they were quicker than Eastern. 

1 hour ago, punttheball said:

So not saying Pioneer didn't have a speed advantage.  I felt the speed difference was closer than the difference in the trenches every down. 

I felt like the biggest speed difference was in the trenches and it favored Pioneer. Pioneer was undersized, but strong, disciplined, and played very fast with tremendous effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Gaponbacker said:

While on the subject of line blocking, I will say it was disheartening to see EG resort to cut blocking Pioneer's defensive lineman late in the 3rd quarter and into the 4th. I know this is legal as far as rules go but I would like to see this 'tactic' flagged in the near future in High School football. We preach safety but continue to let this happen. No disrespect to EG players or coaches, I'm just not a fan of the blocking style because of the overwhelming risk involved.  

If a cut block is legal, what is there to be disheartened about? If done within the NFHS rules, it really isn't dangerous to the defensive line, unless they just aren't coached up. That certainly isn't the case with Pioneer. They are very well coached.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Woody Hayes said:

If a cut block is legal, what is there to be disheartened about? If done within the NFHS rules, it really isn't dangerous to the defensive line, unless they just aren't coached up. That certainly isn't the case with Pioneer. They are very well coached.

1. Not a big fan of football players, at any level, diving head first into the knees of opposing players. 2. Pioneer doesn't coach their boys to cut block, for multiple reasons.  Cut blocking is just a pet peeve of mine for aforementioned reasons.  I would like to see diving at opposing players knees, no matter your general location, to become illegal and flagged on a football field. I put it right up there with late hits, facemasking,  unnecessary roughness, and leaving your varsity in to score on the opposing teams JV in the 4th quarter so they can "get reps". Okay, maybe not the last one. That's just another pet peeve of mine. :02_v: 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you think cut blocking is just "diving at the other players knees" then you either haven't learned or been coached to what a proper cut block is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought that Hamilton was probably the best opposing player Pioneer had played all season. He was the only player all season that Pioneer had allowed to rush for over 100 yards. EG started about as well as they could have ever dreamed, but Pioneer dominated the trenches and all three phases of the game. 

Does EG normally onside kick like that? I thought that giving PIoneer a short field over and over was a poor game plan. I understand the thought process because EG was playing for a state title against a better team, but still, I found it to be too risky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really can't remember anyone kicking off to Jack and the twins.  Everybody either onside or squibbed 

I wouldn't kick to those guys either

think about next year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Gaponbacker said:

1. Not a big fan of football players, at any level, diving head first into the knees of opposing players. 2. Pioneer doesn't coach their boys to cut block, for multiple reasons.  Cut blocking is just a pet peeve of mine for aforementioned reasons.  I would like to see diving at opposing players knees, no matter your general location, to become illegal and flagged on a football field. I put it right up there with late hits, facemasking,  unnecessary roughness, and leaving your varsity in to score on the opposing teams JV in the 4th quarter so they can "get reps". Okay, maybe not the last one. That's just another pet peeve of mine. :02_v: 

1. I bet Pioneer coaches their defensive linemen to play the cut block though. That's what I was talking about. 2. It would be nice to be able to cut block outside of the free blocking zone in NFHS. The service academies make a living with that on the edge. But anyway, if it's legal, it's legal in my mind. Different strokes for different folks I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Andy G said:

I thought that Hamilton was probably the best opposing player Pioneer had played all season. He was the only player all season that Pioneer had allowed to rush for over 100 yards. EG started about as well as they could have ever dreamed, but Pioneer dominated the trenches and all three phases of the game. 

Does EG normally onside kick like that? I thought that giving PIoneer a short field over and over was a poor game plan. I understand the thought process because EG was playing for a state title against a better team, but still, I found it to be too risky. 

Drummond kicks off fairly high and deep most anytime I saw him.  I was perplexed as well with the KO situation.  I can totally understand not kicking to Kiser...But giving the Pioneers nearly have the field could not be a good plan!   Against us Drummond kicked to the 12,  21, 1, 11  & the 23.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.