• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/31/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland
CharlieTweeder

1A Title Eastern Greene vs Pioneer

I will set the over/under on total combined pass attempts at 12.  This game might set a record for quickest state game ever.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Pioneer will be the heavy favorite, but Eastern Greene won't be a pushover. Will Eastern let the bright lights of Lucas Oil get to them? Pioneer is a seasoned veteran team with their seniors getting their 3rd trip to state in 4 years. Eastern will be one of the top, if not the best team Pioneer has faced....I'd say they are definately comparable to Carroll Flora, LCC, and Monroe Central.

Pioneer 38-16 over  Eastern Greene

51 minutes ago, takkle4 said:

I will set the over/under on total combined pass attempts at 12.  This game might set a record for quickest state game ever.

I really think Eastern might try to pass more to try and loosen up the stout Pioneer defense. There were more than 12 pass attempts in the game last year, and Eastern is definitely more likely to pass than Linton. :D 

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but:

WELCOME TO 2A PIONEER!

As far as the game goes:  I think no one is giving the Thunderbirds defense any credit.  They just went on the road and held Lutheran to 8 points.  I've been saying for several weeks now Eastern Greene's defense is very good.  They have a huge line and are athletic.  They aren't the slow, cumbersome big boys that you usually see at the smaller school level.  Playing on that surface at Lucas Oil is only going to make them a bit quicker.  I am really looking forward to watching this game.  Pioneer has been on top of the polls and rankings all year and have had everyone's attention.  Eastern Greene has been under the radar and I think they are going to surprise a LOT of people who watch this game.  I am expecting this to be a 4 quarter game and not the blowout some people are expecting.  The longer the game goes on and the score stays close,  the better I will like the T'Birds chances.  Best of luck and good health to both teams.  It isn't always about who's the best team.  It's who's the best team on THAT day.

Edited by itiswhatitis

This is year 1 of 2 for the success factor.  It's not based on a rolling 2 year period, it's 2 years then reclassify and then a new 2 years, so Pioneer would count this season and next before a possible reclassification.

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but:

WELCOME TO 2A PIONEER!

As far as the game goes:  I think no one is giving the Thunderbirds defense any credit.  They just went on the road and held Lutheran to 8 points.  I've been saying for several weeks now Eastern Greene's defense is very good.  They have a huge line and are athletic.  They aren't the slow, cumbersome big boys that you usually see at the smaller school level.  Playing on that surface at Lucas Oil is only going to make them a bit quicker.  I am really looking forward to watching this game.  Pioneer has been on top of the polls and rankings all year and have had everyone's attention.  Eastern Greene has been under the radar and I think they are going to surprise a LOT of people who watch this game.  I am expecting this to be a 4 quarter game and not the blowout some people are expecting.  The longer the game goes on and the score stays close,  the better I will like the T'Birds chances.  Best of luck and good health to both teams.  It isn't always about who's the best team.  It's who's the best team on THAT day.

Nope, Pioneer wins 1a again in 2018

• Upvote 1

Eastern got the one break they had to have to beat Lutheran......and that was for #6 Jones to get hurt.  If he is not hurt, EG has almost no chance of winning that game.  I guess sometimes it's your time, and it appears to be that way for EG this year.  Pioneer is a whole different animal.  They don't play sloppy and fail to consistently execute like Lutheran.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Knowledge said:

This is year 1 of 2 for the success factor.  It's not based on a rolling 2 year period, it's 2 years then reclassify and then a new 2 years, so Pioneer would count this season and next before a possible reclassification.

I knew that.  Duh on me for being a bit premature.  LOL

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Reb08 said:

Eastern got the one break they had to have to beat Lutheran......and that was for #6 Jones to get hurt.  If he is not hurt, EG has almost no chance of winning that game.  I guess sometimes it's your time, and it appears to be that way for EG this year.  Pioneer is a whole different animal.  They don't play sloppy and fail to consistently execute like Lutheran.  

That's funny.  After Eastern Greene beat Fountain Central, there was a similar attitude that Eastern Greene had no chance against Lutheran especially on the road.  From what you posted, it sounds like Pioneer plays perfect football.  Now I REALLY want to see this game since I've never seen a team play a perfect football  game before.  Should be about 80 - 0 on the scoreboard.  As I said, it isn't always about being the best team.  It's who's the best team on THAT day (or for one game).  I'm not saying Eastern Greene will win this game or even Pioneer for that matter.  Just a heads up about Eastern Greene's defense that no one seems to notice or talk about.  Defense wins championships and Eastern Greene has a good defense.  Besides, Jones was hurt in the third quarter.  Lutheran only scored once in the first half with him healthy.  Why didn't they put up more than 8 in the first half if Eastern had no chance against them?  

Never seen Easter Greene play, but have watched Pioneer.  EG may have a great defense but Pioneer has a great defense and offense.  I would find it very hard to believe that any 1a school in the state would beat them or even come close.   My prediction for the game would be 42-6.

16 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

That's funny.  After Eastern Greene beat Fountain Central, there was a similar attitude that Eastern Greene had no chance against Lutheran especially on the road.  From what you posted, it sounds like Pioneer plays perfect football.  Now I REALLY want to see this game since I've never seen a team play a perfect football  game before.  Should be about 80 - 0 on the scoreboard.  As I said, it isn't always about being the best team.  It's who's the best team on THAT day (or for one game).  I'm not saying Eastern Greene will win this game or even Pioneer for that matter.  Just a heads up about Eastern Greene's defense that no one seems to notice or talk about.  Defense wins championships and Eastern Greene has a good defense.  Besides, Jones was hurt in the third quarter.  Lutheran only scored once in the first half with him healthy.  Why didn't they put up more than 8 in the first half if Eastern had no chance against them?  

Jones was hurt prior to the power delay. They had another qb in when they had the long touchdown run called back.

• Thanks 2

I'll take a stab. I have been on E.G. train for awhile. I've seen E.G. multiple times last few years and can see the growth. Never seen Pioneer live...only highlights and TV in title game last year. I'll take Pioneer 35-22. 

48 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

First of all, Jones was hurt on the last play of the 1st quarter.  Are you suggesting that he would not have broke a long run or two over the next three quarters?  I mean after all- he broke a few long runs against the Great Linton Miners.  If he could do that, surely he could break one or two against EG.  He broke a couple in the first quarter......however with Lutheran being Lutheran, at least one of those was called back.  I'm thinking surely they could not have committed a foul at some point when he made a long run.  I know that's a  lot to ask of Lutheran.  Jones is probably the second best player in 1A, behind Kiser.  

I'm happy for EG.  I just don't think they are a state caliber team.  1A south was down this year.  They beat 1 good team in the tournament, and their best player couldn't run the ball for the last three quarters.   Also kind of funny that EG made it to the state finals on their first attempt.  Linton had to grind and endure a lot of heartache before punching their ticket to the finals. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Reb08 said:

First of all, Jones was hurt on the last play of the 1st quarter.  Are you suggesting that he would not have broke a long run or two over the next three quarters?  I mean after all- he broke a few long runs against the Great Linton Miners.  If he could do that, surely he could break one or two against EG.  He broke a couple in the first quarter......however with Lutheran being Lutheran, at least one of those was called back.  I'm thinking surely they could not have committed a foul at some point when he made a long run.  I know that's a  lot to ask of Lutheran.  Jones is probably the second best player in 1A, behind Kiser.  

I'm happy for EG.  I just don't think they are a state caliber team.  1A south was down this year.  They beat 1 good team in the tournament, and their best player couldn't run the ball for the last three quarters.   Also kind of funny that EG made it to the state finals on their first attempt.  Linton had to grind and endure a lot of heartache before punching their ticket to the finals. 

Jesus Christ dude, sour grapes? And you are a coach? Bottom line, they are in the state title game and South Spencer is trash like normal.

• Upvote 1

Lutheran hadn't been held to one score all year long, so to say that if Jones was healthy this entire game that they wouldn't have scored at least once more is pretty silly,  That's not a  knock on EG defense bc i think they are very good, but Jones is great and was having success running before he was hurt. I Just don't believe that if he's healthy that he doesn't score in that game and Lutheran wins. That being said EG played great defense and did just enough to win and that's all that matters. I'll be pulling for EG at the can for sure!

1 hour ago, Reb08 said:

Please Lord, let us draw South Spencer in the sectional next season. As Olympian said, trash program.  No surprise that a trash comment would come from a trash program. 

North Vermillion is an example: 2014 State Champs, 2015 Regional Champs = 6 pts, but the back to back years happened to be in two different cycles.  NV could've played the last 2 years in 2A if the success factor '14 and '15 were the same cycle.

8 minutes ago, kingtut said:

That's true, Knowledge.  I've been arguing that point with several guys but no one believes me.  Theoretically ,  A team could win three straight titles before moving up.  Or in Pioneer's case, a runner-up and two straight titles.  Actually, all Pioneer has to do (realistically) is to win this year and beat LCC next year to move up after next year.

LCC is in Pioneer's sectional

Just now, CharlieTweeder said:

LCC is in Pioneer's sectional

I know that.  If Pioneer beats LCC, I'm confident they also win the Regional.

2 hours ago, Reb08 said:

Also kind of funny that EG made it to the state finals on their first attempt.  Linton had to grind and endure a lot of heartache before punching their ticket to the finals. 

True, but Linton also ran into Scecena  twice, Ritter twice, North Vermilion on their way to the title and a couple of outstanding Perry Central teams.  The only game that wasn't decided by a TD or less was the 17 - 0 loss to Scecena in '12 or '13.  Yes, the south is down from what it used to be.

2 hours ago, Reb08 said:

And guess what?  Linton STILL won that game 43 - 14.  And guess what?  Eastern Greene STILL won this game, too. Whether or not Jones would have made a difference is pure speculation.  How is it that a fan of 2A South Spencer knows so much about all of these 1A schools?  (Lutheran, Pioneer, AND Eastern Greene)   How is it that you know Eastern Greene isn't a state caliber team?   Is that just an opinion or are you basing that on games you have actually seen?   I give my opinion like everyone else, but it's always on what I have seen and not what I read here on the GID.  I've seen games of all of these teams in person and also have seen a few of them live streamed on the internet.  Not to mention I have seen a few LCC games as well (in person).  In spite of what we say or think, Eastern Greene is playing Pioneer for the 1A state title this Friday.  BOTH of them are deserving to be in this game.  No one asked either team to draw pictures of their wins to get there.  Bottom line is this:  one team gets a blue ring, the other gets a red one and there are what?  62 other teams who don't get either one.  Why would someone want to belittle a team's accomplishment for making a state final?  If Eastern Greene wins do they HAVE to put an asterisk on their trophy because Jones got hurt in the semi-state game?  Don't think so.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

And guess what?  Linton STILL won that game 43 - 14.  And guess what?  Eastern Greene STILL won this game, too. Whether or not Jones would have made a difference is pure speculation.  How is it that a fan of 2A South Spencer knows so much about all of these 1A schools?  (Lutheran, Pioneer, AND Eastern Greene)   How is it that you know Eastern Greene isn't a state caliber team?   Is that just an opinion or are you basing that on games you have actually seen?   I give my opinion like everyone else, but it's always on what I have seen and not what I read here on the GID.  I've seen games of all of these teams in person and also have seen a few of them live streamed on the internet.  Not to mention I have seen a few LCC games as well (in person).  In spite of what we say or think, Eastern Greene is playing Pioneer for the 1A state title this Friday.  BOTH of them are deserving to be in this game.  No one asked either team to draw pictures of their wins to get there.  Bottom line is this:  one team gets a blue ring, the other gets a red one and there are what?  62 other teams who don't get either one.  Why would someone want to belittle a team's accomplishment for making a state final?  If Eastern Greene wins do they HAVE to put an asterisk on their trophy because Jones got hurt in the semi-state game?  Don't think so.

I think the asterisk would be for the coaching staff knowingly playing ineligible players during the season...