• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/31/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner
jsawright

Class 3A State Championship: Brebeuf Jesuit (10-4) vs. Evansville Memorial (13-1)

Game Details - Lucas Oil Stadium
3A State Finals

Evansville Memorial vs. Brebeuf Jesuit 

Friday, November 24 @ 3:30pm EST.

Ev. Memorial wins this game...  QB play is too great..  Best QB in the state of Indiana plays for Memorial 

• Like 1

Brebeuf Jesuit (10-4) vs. Evansville Memorial (13-1)
GAME TIME: 2:30 pm CT, Enlow Field.
COACHES: Mic Roessler, 37-23 in 5th year at Brebeuf Jesuit. John Hurley, 72-53 in 10th year at Evansville Memorial.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Evansville Memorial, 84.15, 24th overall, 3rd in Class 3A. Brebeuf Jesuit, 78.16, 32nd overall, 5th in Class 3A.
LAST OUTING: Brebeuf Jesuit defeated Mishawaka Marian, 17-0. Evansville Memorial defeated Danville, 28-7.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Brebeuf Jesuit 95-65, Evansville Memorial 90-58.
SERIES LAST 30 YEARS: No meetings.
PREDICTION: Evansville Memorial, 28-24.

From John Herrel's website.

In the final polls (that we know mean nothing) Brebeuf was ranked #12 AP and #8 IFCA and Memorial was ranked #4 in AP and #3 in IFCA.   Interestingly, in the post-season, both teams have defeated a #1 team, Brebeuf having defeated West Lafayette (#1 IFCA) for a regional title and Memorial having defeated Gibson Southern (#1 AP) for the Sectional 32 title.  I'm looking forward to watching the films more, but Brebeuf and Memorial run similar spread offenses with a lot of athletes on the field and stout defenses.  After this past weekend, it will be nice to watch a game inside climate-controlled LOS.  I just don't think my old bones could withstand another game like yesterday.  It was truly one of the most miserable conditions I've ever experienced.  

Good luck to both teams and congrats for being one of the 12 teams who get to practice on Thanksgiving!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, greyhound3175 said:

Ev. Memorial wins this game...  QB play is too great..  Best QB in the state of Indiana plays for Memorial 

Hell of a player, tons of people on this board will disagree that he is the best in the state, however.

2 hours ago, jsawright said:
Game Details - Lucas Oil Stadium
3A State Finals

Evansville Memorial vs. Brebeuf Jesuit 

Friday, November 24 @ 3:30pm EST.

Lets see if Stink town clown holds true to his word . Blue tigers always!!! 

• Like 1

I’m pulling for all the Southern teams...

Memorial 36-21 Brebeuf

although, Brebuef is one of the underdog teams to win semi state. Not many people thought they would be here. 

• Like 1

Brebeuf has 0 chance in my humble opinion. Ritter beat brebeuf, chatard dismantled Ritter, Danville waxed chatard, Evansville spanked Danville! Game over 

56 minutes ago, Raider85 said:

Brebeuf has 0 chance in my humble opinion. Ritter beat brebeuf, chatard dismantled Ritter, Danville waxed chatard, Evansville spanked Danville! Game over 

That whole thing really doesn't mean that much.

Brebeuf is a team that got hot towards the end of the season.  Back-to-back wins over 6A teams in HSE (30-0 shutout) and Westfield.  Both had down seasons but how many other 3A teams in the state have 1 win over a 6A opponent, let alone 2 in consecutive weeks?  Then beat #1 West Lafayette (a very similar team in some regards to EV Memorial).  And has arguably been the best defensive team in 3A in the 2nd half of the year.  Brebeuf certainly does have a chance.  MUCH more of a chance then a few other state finalists do in their perspective games (there are likely to be some awful mismatches this weekend)

That being said, I wouldn't want to play Evansville Memorial inside, in perfect weather.  That is a scary group to try and defend for 4 quarters.  And the QB is the best junior QB in the state.  I think Memorial wins but Brebeuf hangs in there and stays within shouting distance.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, greyhound3175 said:

Homestead QB is better

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Raider85 said:

No kidding.

Memorial beat Danville, who beat Chatard, who beat East Central, who beat Evansville Central, who beat Evansville Memorial.  So by my count, Memorial should beat itself by 119 points. Now that is a mismatch! 

• Upvote 5

I bet against Memorial last week and won't make that same mistake twice. After watching them multiple games this year, I just don't see how they can lose. They always find a way to grind it out. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, greyhound3175 said:

Haven't seen him play, but apparently you haven't seen BD's QB play either...

2017 State Finals

No Cathedral

No Roncalli

No Chatard

No Ritter

No Scecina

No Guerin

Just BREBEUF JESUIT PREPARATORY SCHOOL!!!

Congrats Braves

• Like 2

If you haven't seen this Brebeuf team since Week 8, you don't understand how much they have improved.  Fine group of young men that will flat get after you on defense.  It's been a joy to follow them.

1 hour ago, Coach_G said:

2017 State Finals

No Cathedral

No Roncalli

No Chatard

No Ritter

No Scecina

No Guerin

Just BREBEUF JESUIT PREPARATORY SCHOOL!!!

Congrats Braves

Crazy that these are the only 2 P/P's in the Finals

Congrats to both schools!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Von2Rov said:

Crazy that these are the only 2 P/P's in the Finals

Congrats to both schools!

Maybe the trend is turning.  Only 2 last year too in Roncalli and Ritter.  Only 2 Indy area teams too this year which is nice to see.

Brebeufs special teams this year have been great all year long (Coach Clem is a stud specials teams coach) . Could be a difference maker but I think Lindeuar and the offense and Keioni #45 on defense get it done and bring it home to Evansville . Looking forward to a great game at LOS! 

34-21 Tigers 

• Like 1

Think this will be the closet game out of all state title games going to give Memorial the edge with a victory by a touchdown

• Like 1

Interesting from the media guide that after their respective Regional wins, Brebeuf's coach got a tattoo and Memorial's coach had emergency cervical neck fusion.  Both tough in their own ways....  

• Like 1

These two programs have met on the gridiron before, but not since 1974.  The Tigers lead the series 2-0, having beaten the Braves 21-14 in 1973 at Pike (where Brebeuf Jesuit played most of its home games prior to 1992, when the school finally got its own football field) and 29-6 in 1974 at Evansville's Enlow Field.

Some interesting history regarding these two programs:  Reitz Memorial had a 40-game unbeaten streak (35 wins, 0 losses, 5 ties) from 1934 to 1938 under head coach Don Ping.  Meanwhile, Brebeuf posted a 24-game winning streak from 1965 to 1967 under head coach Jack Baker, who started the program at the school on the freshman level in 1962 before it began varsity competition two years later.

This Class 3A game is the only one of the State Finals featuring private or parochial schools.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This thread has been really quiet compared to others. Let's try to get some conversation going.

I expect both teams to get after each other Friday afternoon. One recurring theme in Memorial's journey is that they have faced and stood toe to toe with some very physical football teams while coming out victorious. They heard all about how physical Gibson Southern played, they faced the leading tackler in 3A from Lawrenceburg (another physical team) and last week faced the state sack leader from Danville (again another physical team) and they have continued to do what it takes to win!

They are playing with a lot of confidence on both sides of the ball. Versus Danville, the defense matched the offense's 14 points with a fumble and interception returned for touchdowns. Something this defense has done all season. 

After winning state titles in both girls and boys soccer, they are looking to finish off an historic fall athletic season.

Edited by jsawright
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Along the same vein, Brebeuf is working on a fairly historic fall as well.  Their football team will also be their third to appear in a state championship (alongside Girls XC and Volleyball).  They also had two Boys XC runners compete in the state finals.  Depending on the source, their Girls Soccer team was the top ranked team in the state and a top 25 team in the nation during the regular season.  Hopefully they can cap it off with a win Friday afternoon.