• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/21/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired
Sign in to follow this  
falconsfbref

State Finals

Question

Congrats to those chosen to work the state finals.  My question is:  Isn't in the requirements that half of the crews should be new to the state level?  There is very little rotation.....

10 answers to this question

2 hours ago, falconsfbref said:

Congrats to those chosen to work the state finals.  My question is:  Isn't in the requirements that half of the crews should be new to the state level?  There is very little rotation.....

It's a guideline but there were only 2 eligible new crews this year.

4 hours ago, falconsfbref said:

2 hours ago, BisonUmpire said:

Perhaps the same next year.

A change is gonna come....

11 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

Perhaps the same next year.

A change is gonna come....

There are 3 eligible new crews for next year so at least it's possible. There were only 2 possible new crews this year.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, BisonUmpire said:

There is also a guideline that 60% of the semi state and 50% of the regional crews will have not worked the state finals.  All of these are guidelines and the IHSAA will do what the IHSAA wants to do.   

I understand that these are the only crews eligible.  That just means this has been a problem for the past 3-5 years in building into this scenerio.  Look, the system is a joke.  I think we can all agree that something needs done, but no one has an answer.  They want to know why people do not get into officiating, and/or stick with it.  I could find a magic genie....suddenly become the best official in the state, find 4 others to become the next 4 best officials.  We would not be allowed to work a state final game for 3 years.  Something is wrong with that logic and the fact that some crews, no matter how many people turnover, work state finals every 4 years.  It is a broken system...good or bad

7 hours ago, falconsfbref said:

I understand that these are the only crews eligible.  That just means this has been a problem for the past 3-5 years in building into this scenerio.  Look, the system is a joke.  I think we can all agree that something needs done, but no one has an answer.  They want to know why people do not get into officiating, and/or stick with it.  I could find a magic genie....suddenly become the best official in the state, find 4 others to become the next 4 best officials.  We would not be allowed to work a state final game for 3 years.  Something is wrong with that logic and the fact that some crews, no matter how many people turnover, work state finals every 4 years.  It is a broken system...good or bad

Keep in mind no matter which system the state uses the same number of crews will be upset because they don't advance. It may just change which ones are upset. I would not want a system that allows someone to put a crew together and they work a state final the first year. That's not a logical example. The current system doesn't necessarily advance the best crews, but most of the crews working state finals the past several years have been good crews. Nobody is perfect so mistakes are made. Focus on what you can control and work the best you can. And I'm not on a crew that is advancing either so I'm not benefiting from this system either.

I think it would be useful to answer a question that, to my knowledge, has never been asked: “How do we construct a playoff assignment and advancement system so as to improve officiating at all levels to the maximum extent possible during the regular season?” Most of the peiople who look at the system view it from the standpoint of how well it selects the best crews for the upper levels of the tournament. They’re not necessarily the same thing. By not using the “carrot” of playoff advancement to drive real improvement, we are missing an opportunity to make all 160 crews in the state better.

I agree...the goal should be to make the regular season officiated better and more consistent.  This can be done a couple of ways.  1.  The IHSAA would need a director of football officials. He/She would have to be able to create weekly videos of plays throughout the state and show examples of good or bad and how the IHSAA wants things interpreted.   2.  The director would then maintain contact with coaches and explain why things are being called.  Example, the uniforms.....I am sure we are all aware of the knee bad messeges...but if flags are thrown and players are taken out.....it would not be pretty.   3.  IF we have to attend meetings, the associations should have meetings during season....not just to get them over before season.  

15 hours ago, BisonUmpire said:

Keep in mind no matter which system the state uses the same number of crews will be upset because they don't advance. It may just change which ones are upset. I would not want a system that allows someone to put a crew together and they work a state final the first year. That's not a logical example. The current system doesn't necessarily advance the best crews, but most of the crews working state finals the past several years have been good crews. Nobody is perfect so mistakes are made. Focus on what you can control and work the best you can. And I'm not on a crew that is advancing either so I'm not benefiting from this system either.

The coaches 50% vote is too much power.  They do not know officiating mechanics, so not sure how they can give fair observation on positioning and such.  Also, the current system is unfair to those crews without a regional or higher game.  They get an extra point, so the turnover/rotation of crews is slow to non-existent.

17 hours ago, bobref said:

I think it would be useful to answer a question that, to my knowledge, has never been asked: “How do we construct a playoff assignment and advancement system so as to improve officiating at all levels to the maximum extent possible during the regular season?” Most of the peiople who look at the system view it from the standpoint of how well it selects the best crews for the upper levels of the tournament. They’re not necessarily the same thing. By not using the “carrot” of playoff advancement to drive real improvement, we are missing an opportunity to make all 160 crews in the state better.

2 hours ago, falconsfbref said:

I agree...the goal should be to make the regular season officiated better and more consistent.  This can be done a couple of ways.  1.  The IHSAA would need a director of football officials. He/She would have to be able to create weekly videos of plays throughout the state and show examples of good or bad and how the IHSAA wants things interpreted.   2.  The director would then maintain contact with coaches and explain why things are being called.  Example, the uniforms.....I am sure we are all aware of the knee bad messeges...but if flags are thrown and players are taken out.....it would not be pretty.   3.  IF we have to attend meetings, the associations should have meetings during season....not just to get them over before season.  

The coaches 50% vote is too much power.  They do not know officiating mechanics, so not sure how they can give fair observation on positioning and such.  Also, the current system is unfair to those crews without a regional or higher game.  They get an extra point, so the turnover/rotation of crews is slow to non-existent.

On the other hand, if you viewed the regular season as simply a series of glorified exhibition games, then why would you care about ways to make officiating during the regular season better?  Hmmm.... makes you think.

On 11/25/2017 at 12:12 PM, bobref said:

On the other hand, if you viewed the regular season as simply a series of glorified exhibition games, then why would you care about ways to make officiating during the regular season better?  Hmmm.... makes you think.

Great point.