• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/19/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired North Newton Jeff Bean Scott Rouch Promoted Madison Grant:  Kyle Booher Brady Turner Promoted 
Sign in to follow this  
southend

Officiating both days at state games

I'm going to say, that these were probable the best, officiated state games I have watched, as a collective group. The officials were almost invisible, but kept the games legit. I may be in dream land here, but I don't think it could get any better than how the games were called.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

This is always great to hear. I think, based on the lack of issues brought up on the GID, the officiating in the tournament was less controversial than in some past years. While I’d like to think that this was due to increased proficiency within the ranks, and/or a better job of selecting and advancing tournament officials, IMO it was neither. Basically, we were lucky. Whether you know it or not, a great deal about how officials are perceived has to do with luck. The ball isn’t round. It bounces funny. The bounces it takes can often determine how the job you do is perceived by coaches, players, fans, media, etc.

• Upvote 1

Thought both days were officiated very well. The only hit I saw was knee pads. All season long the pre-game meeting  between officials and coaches centered around the knee pads covering the knees of the players. In some cases officials made claim that players that don't abide by this policy will not play. Yet in the 6A game I see a player from Penn and from Ben Davis that clearly did not have their knee pads covering the knees. Must just be a regular season rule!

• Sad 1

I would say the 3A crew was above average, no where near great.  Felt that way live and confirmed on TV broadcast yesterday.  Lance Scheib was delicate and diplomatic.  

2 hours ago, cw13 said:

Thought both days were officiated very well. The only hit I saw was knee pads. All season long the pre-game meeting  between officials and coaches centered around the knee pads covering the knees of the players. In some cases officials made claim that players that don't abide by this policy will not play. Yet in the 6A game I see a player from Penn and from Ben Davis that clearly did not have their knee pads covering the knees. Must just be a regular season rule!

I did too.  And his was Dad was a  fine QB at Notre Dame.  Just kinda glad you hung around until the end.  

I know I did.   ZING!!!!!

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, bobref said:

. While I’d like to think that this was due to increased proficiency within the ranks, and/or a better job of selecting and advancing tournament officials, IMO it was neither.

I would like to politely disagree with you, I don't think you are giving the people in charge enough credit here. And attributing  it to luck, doesn't resonate with me. All 6 games this weekend were officiated almost flawlessly. I would  like to think all games could be called like these, but that is not a practical thought, given the shortage of referees. You know, all of your physicians ,doctors that you go to, some of them got C's in medical school. They weren't all A students, but they are still practicing medicine.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, southend said:

I would like to politely disagree with you, I don't think you are giving the people in charge enough credit here. And attributing  it to luck, doesn't resonate with me. All 6 games this weekend were officiated almost flawlessly. I would  like to think all games could be called like these, but that is not a practical thought, given the shortage of referees. You know, all of your physicians ,doctors that you go to, some of them got C's in medical school. They weren't all A students, but they are still practicing medicine.

You misunderstood my point. I didn’t say the officials that worked the finals weren’t top flight crews, every one of them. I only said that they weren’t selected for that reason —- because the people doing the selecting are not trained to recognize what differentiates a top flight crew from one that is merely good.  The selectors use other criteria like communication skills, appearance, hustle, demeanor, etc. All of these are important aspects of officiating, don’t get me wrong. But mechanics, philosophy, rules knowledge and implementation, these things take specialized training that the people doing the selecting just don’t have. Not their fault, except to the extent they refuse to believe they are ill-suited to that task.

On 11/26/2017 at 3:51 PM, Yuccaguy said:

I did too.  And his was Dad was a  fine QB at Notre Dame.  Just kinda glad you hung around until the end.  

I know I did.   ZING!!!!!

Your crew did a fine job Saturday!

• Like 1

I've often wondered if officials ever get caught up in a game?  Meaning, do they see a kid make a play and just stop for a moment to admire it?  After all officials are humans too (well most of them).  LOL

43 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I've often wondered if officials ever get caught up in a game?  Meaning, do they see a kid make a play and just stop for a moment to admire it?  After all officials are humans too (well most of them).  LOL

I’ve done that many, many times. It’s one of the great benefits of officiating.

7 minutes ago, bobref said:

I’ve done that many, many times. It’s one of the great benefits of officiating.

I had already counted you as one of the "human" officials, Bob.  LOL  Since you are from Ohio, I KNOW you love your football.  It's inherent in almost all Buckeyes.  I'm sure you have many stories to tell.  You should do a book.

57 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Definitely! Not to the point that I stopped officiating on a play, but I often admire an amazing play by either team. Close, exciting games at the end are the most fun. It's weird because as an official you can remain calm because you aren't concerned with the result of the game or any play and you can officiate it like any other play. I worked a playoff game where the home team scored twice in the last 2 minutes to tie it and won in OT on a 2-point conversion. That was fun!

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, BisonUmpire said:

Definitely! Not to the point that I stopped officiating on a play, but I often admire an amazing play by either team. Close, exciting games at the end are the most fun. It's weird because as an official you can remain calm because you aren't concerned with the result of the game or any play and you can officiate it like any other play. I worked a playoff game where the home team scored twice in the last 2 minutes to tie it and won in OT on a 2-point conversion. That was fun!

This is the very reason I would never make a good official (well that and now I'm way too old).  I'd quit the officiating part and become a spectator on the field.  LOL  I don't need a dog in the fight to appreciate good play.  I have always liked high school football that much.  I have attended several state finals when I really had no team to support.  I recall being in Florida in the 1980's and saw a state championship game with the final score of 92 - 14!  It was the two best teams in the state (ranked 1 and 2 in the polls and both undefeated).  I don't recall the losing team but the winner was Pensacola Pine Forrest.  They led 49 - 7 at halftime and already had 3 running backs over 100 yards rushing.  It was THE most dominant performance I have ever seen by a high school team.

36 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I'm sure you have many stories to tell.  You should do a book.

I started one, but couldn’t come up with enough synonyms for “you s*ck!” It got kind of repetitive.

Edited by bobref
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

This is the very reason I would never make a good official (well that and now I'm way too old).  I'd quit the officiating part and become a spectator on the field.  LOL  I don't need a dog in the fight to appreciate good play.  I have always liked high school football that much.  I have attended several state finals when I really had no team to support.  I recall being in Florida in the 1980's and saw a state championship game with the final score of 92 - 14!  It was the two best teams in the state (ranked 1 and 2 in the polls and both undefeated).  I don't recall the losing team but the winner was Pensacola Pine Forrest.  They led 49 - 7 at halftime and already had 3 running backs over 100 yards rushing.  It was THE most dominant performance I have ever seen by a high school team.

That is actually the hardest part for new officials. You are so used to ball watching as a fan, but as an official you rarely watch the ball. Usually only 1 official will be watching the ball carrier at any time and if he's not threatened nobody is watching him. The other officials are watching other players. Once you are trained to focus on your keys and you get good at it (can take years to do really well) you don't always directly see the amazing aspects of plays (i.e. toe touch catch at the sideline), but you do sense them. As a referee you often have no idea what happens downfield because you stay focused on the quarterback. It's a very different way to "watch" a game.

26 minutes ago, bobref said:

I started one, but couldn’t come up with enough synonyms for “you s*ck!” It got kind of repetitive.

LOL  You should try again.  Do something "novel".  Tell the story from the football's perspective.  That would be different.

There was only one major play I would like either video or better description.  In one of the games, I think it was Saturday, it seems the defense got an INT.  During the return, B blocked in back and then A tackled by facemask?  Or something like that.  Anyone have video or know the play I am referring to?

1 hour ago, falconsfbref said:

There was only one major play I would like either video or better description.  In one of the games, I think it was Saturday, it seems the defense got an INT.  During the return, B blocked in back and then A tackled by facemask?  Or something like that.  Anyone have video or know the play I am referring to?

Go to IHSAATV.NET  and look it up.  Both fouls were post possession.  

Admittedly, I didn’t watch every play of the 6 games but the most questionable play that I saw came in the 3A game. The Memorial qb threw and interception while rolling left under duress. After the pass he continued out of bounds by more than a yard (beyond the white belt), ran 10 yards out of bounds returning to the field to make the tackle. IMO this is a clear illegal participation call. 

2 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

Go to IHSAATV.NET  and look it up.  Both fouls were post possession.  

I understand that...but what game?  qtr?   If both were post possesion, then B has to decline the facemask and have their foul enforced  to keep the ball.  Both are not enforced

Did anyone else notice that the Kokomo qb never put his mouthpiece in? He just placed a portion of it in the side of his mouth. Is this illegal? If it is, it was never called.