• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/31/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner
Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

Highland Trojans Head Coaching Job Opens Up

Attention all up and coming head coaches!

The Highland job in Northwest Indiana is now officially open, as current HC Trent Grider has stepped down after 5 seasons.

Grider did a nice job of bringing Highland football back to relevance after a deep drought in the mid 2000s.  Highland is a 4A school in the Northwest Crossroads Conference.  

Indiana Hall of Fame Head Coaches Ken "Zip" Sypult, Dave Shelbourne and Brad Smith have all led the Trojan football program.  Shelbourne took the 1987 Highland team to the Class 5A state title game against Ben Davis.  Former Northwestern  and St Louis Rams linebacker Tom Homco was a standout on that Trojan squad.

Highland has stiff competition in the NCC.  Munster, Lowell , Andrean, Kankakee Valley, and Hobart are conference rivals, and the Trojans also play the Hammond schools regularly in non con play.

Highland plays in a beautiful on campus stadium with natural grass turf.

In the 70s and 80s, Highland was a big school with 2200 students.  It is now half that size, with a changing demographic profile.  Good opportunity for a coach who has experience turning around a flailing program.

The job will fill quickly.  Inquire now if interested.

Edited by DrivenT

How is their school board/administration now? There were times in the past when people in a position to know told me that certain school board members had a tendency to try to micro-manage athletic programs.

It is what it is.  Doubt that will ever change

Its in their management DNA

They seemed to let Grider do his own thing.  

Here’s your chance DT to be part of the solution. 

DrivenT, think of it this way. You taking over the program is the only way to be certain there will be no development of "bro" culture for the Trojans. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Woody Hayes said:

DrivenT, think of it this way. You taking over the program is the only way to be certain there will be no development of "bro" culture for the Trojans. 

Good point

I would not allow it.  There would be a clear line of demarcation between the student athletes and the staff.

I would also take full advantage of my complete and total access to the public money trough.

To supplement my income as a business teacher ($65000)  and head football coach ($6500) , I would dip into the trough to access the following publicly provided funds :

Assistant Freshman Basketball Coach  ($2500)

Assistant JV baseball coach  ($2500)

Student Driving Instructor  ($5000)

Concessions Manager at varsity basketball games (paid position at Highland)  ($1000)

After school truancy officer  ($1200)

Scoreboard and Timer Keeper at Varsity Swimming Events ($1000)

Not a bad take 

You don’t need to be a teacher anymore.  You can easily be a lay football coach. 

:06_v:

1 hour ago, Coach_G said:

You don’t need to be a teacher anymore.  You can easily be a lay football coach. 

On that note, do any schools hire professional semi retired business people to teach business class anymore?  Do you have to have a teaching license for this?

Edited by DrivenT

On a side note I worked for Trent at Elmhurst when I was a young dumb coach. We were 0-10, but he taught me a lot about being a family man and bonding as a staff. He’s a good dude! Good luck to him moving forward! 

2 hours ago, DrivenT said:

:06_v:

On that note, do any schools hire professional semi retired business people to teach business class anymore?  Do you have to have a teaching license for this?

Yes. No. 

3 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Good point

I would not allow it.  There would be a clear line of demarcation between the student athletes and the staff.

I would also take full advantage of my complete and total access to the public money trough.

To supplement my income as a business teacher ($65000)  and head football coach ($6500) , I would dip into the trough to access the following publicly provided funds :

Assistant Freshman Basketball Coach  ($2500)

Assistant JV baseball coach  ($2500)

Student Driving Instructor  ($5000)

Concessions Manager at varsity basketball games (paid position at Highland)  ($1000)

After school truancy officer  ($1200)

Not a bad take 

$84,700 if my quick math is correct. You would earn every cent you made. Well worth it. 

Edited by Coach Ellenwood

Good luck finding a school that will let you coach all those sports while you are sitting in the truancy room after school, or working the scoreboard for another sport  :) 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Coach_G said:

Good luck finding a school that will let you coach all those sports while you are sitting in the truancy room after school, or working the scoreboard for another sport  :) 

My thoughts exactly Coach!! You would need more hours in a day!!! 

3 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

It used to be this way

LOL

Please point to an example of a specific individual who held this many positions with overlapping duties and time commitments.

Let's also not ignore the fact you are talking about a teacher on the top end of the pay structure.  Very few people who are 25-30 years into the career are going to do all the things you list on your list and commit to a 70 hour week.  

Since this appears to be a knock on a teacher do you think 80K is an inappropriate level of compensation for a person with 25 years experience a graduate degree working 70 hours a week?  Just curious?

Edited by Coach_G
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Coach_G said:

Please point to an example of a specific individual who held this many positions with overlapping duties and time commitments.

Let's also not ignore the fact you are talking about a teacher on the top end of the pay structure.  Very few people who are 25-30 years into the career are going to do all the things you list on your list and commit to a 70 hour week.  

Since this appears to be a knock on a teacher do you think 80K is an inappropriate level of compensation for a person with 25 years experience a graduate degree working 70 hours a week?  Just curious?

Im referencing something from back in the 70s.  Much before your time G

No knock intended.  I've just seen public school employees game the system in the past to their own financial advantage and benefit.  Im a free market capitalist and want to see everyone do well.  I am somewhat astonished however by some of the compensation numbers I have seen over the past decade relative to teacher salaries.  Knowing all districts are not the same, the old adage that "teachers don't make any money" doesnt ring true anymore.  

• Upvote 2

Game the system?  Again I'd love clarification and examples.  Are you stating that a teacher who takes on an additional stipend to lead a sport, club, aid in working events beyond the standard workday is somehow unethical?

• Upvote 2

I am sorry to hear he is moving on. From the outside looking in, he a a nice program going . They played Lowell tough in their games this year. They beat Lowell last year. His kids played hard and clean. Where is he headed? 

15 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Wait, what!?!? My wife has done this for 5 years and has never received a penny. It's actually a very tough job that you can't just show up and do. It's amazing how many people it takes to run a swim meet and all but the coaches and official and athletic trainer are volunteers. At club meets the officials are volunteers also.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coach_G said:

Game the system?  Again I'd love clarification and examples.  Are you stating that a teacher who takes on an additional stipend to lead a sport, club, aid in working events beyond the standard workday is somehow unethical?

I think its pretty saavy.  But also very selfish.

2 minutes ago, BisonUmpire said:

Wait, what!?!? My wife has done this for 5 years and has never received a penny. It's actually a very tough job that you can't just show up and do. It's amazing how many people it takes to run a swim meet and all but the coaches and official and athletic trainer are volunteers. At club meets the officials are volunteers also.

:07_v:

56 minutes ago, RDP fan said:

I am sorry to hear he is moving on. From the outside looking in, he a a nice program going . They played Lowell tough in their games this year. They beat Lowell last year. His kids played hard and clean. Where is he headed? 

Sounds like he is done coaching.  Read the attached NWI Times story.

His record on the surface was not horrible, but in the NCC, it was abysmal.  Highland must improve to the level where it can compete with Munster and Hobart.  The Trojans haven't beaten either team in 10 years.  That's pathetic.  I think they've given up on competing against Munster, Lowell, Andrean and Hobart.  

Highland needs a coach who believes he can win these games.  

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/football/article_a161f1e3-c38e-52d4-ad9d-482910628eeb.html

I too have witnessed the "Stipend Lady of the Night" Driven T...LOL.

Ok...."Lady of the Night" wasn't what I typed...I typed Wh0re...nice work Invision Community Software!

Edited by Titan32

LOL

Lots of abuse out there, if unmanaged.