• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/31/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner
Sign in to follow this  
NRRaider2001

Warsaw Coach Phil Jensen Retires

Warsaw football coach Phil Jensen just told his players he is retiring from coaching effective immediately. He steps down as the All time winning coach

Beat me to it...
http://www.inkfreenews.com/2017/12/04/breaking-news-jensen-steps-down-at-warsaw/
https://warsawtigers.org/2017/12/04/386/

Should be interesting to see who they go after.  A few good internal guys in my opinion, and a few outside names.  Those external options are the former Tiger great Brad Seiss (obviously) at Merrillville and Andy Thomas who was a former assistant at Warsaw who has had great success turning around programs at Garrett, Culver and Angola. These are just my opinions and I have no inside knowledge of who they are considering.  I'd love to see either of these guys come back to Warsaw personally, or have one of the assistants like Kris Huber (current head wrestling coach for the Tigers) or Matt Thacker (current head boys & girls track coach).

Edited by NLCTigerFan07
clarified my opinions

I remember talking to him at the bar at an Indy Glazier clinic. I had no idea who he was at the time but he was a pleasure to talk to as we talked for at least an hour about a number of things. .  I wish him nothing but the best.  

Edited by Canoe Fest Charlie

An extremely good guy. Good coach, but better dude.. Wish him the best

12 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Beat me to it...

https://warsawtigers.org/2017/12/04/386/

Should be interesting to see who they go after.  A few good internal guys in my opinion, and a few outside names.  Those external options are the former Tiger great Brad Seiss (obviously) at Merrillville and Andy Thomas who was a former assistant at Warsaw who has had great success turning around programs at Garrett, Culver and Angola. These are just my opinions and I have no inside knowledge of who they are considering.  I'd love to see either of these guys come back to Warsaw personally, or have one of the assistants like Kris Huber (current head wrestling coach for the Tigers) or Matt Thacker (current head boys & girls track coach).

Seiss had a very tough year at Merrillville, probably the worst season in Merrillville football history.  

Has that tarnished his relative attractiveness to the Warsaw program?

• Upvote 1

Just now, DrivenT said:

Seiss had a very tough year at Merrillville, probably the worst season in Merrillville football history.  

Has that tarnished his relative attractiveness to the Warsaw program?

Secondhand, I've heard he's had nothing but support from their administration.  I am not from "The Region" so I can't speak specifically to this, maybe you can.  Apparently there has been quite the demographic shift over the past few years in Merrillville and surrounding areas.  They believe he's a great leader and understand some of the difficulties facing not only athletics but in the classroom in Merrillville.  I don't know what that specifically means, but a vague-ish answer to you question, no I don't think that has tarnished his attractiveness to Warsaw.

Merrillville is to Region football what Penn is to South Bend and Snider is to Fort Wayne.

It's been very difficult to witness the program's demise.

Hard to believe that he could have full backing based on the results after two full seasons.  Perhaps expectations have been diminished at Merrillville.  That might explain it.

Ironically, Coach Jensen’s last game and my last game were ... the same game. Despite a disappointing outcome to the game, when it was over he made a point of coming across the field to shake my hand. First class all the way!

• Upvote 3

On 12/4/2017 at 4:56 PM, bobref said:

Ironically, Coach Jensen’s last game and my last game were ... the same game. Despite a disappointing outcome to the game, when it was over he made a point of coming across the field to shake my hand. First class all the way!

And, as the article indicated, it was at his alma mater.

Coach Jensen is a fine example of the several gentlemen over the years who have impacted both the Warsaw and Penn athletic programs.  He and AD Dave Anson are graduates of Penn.    Jim Miller and the late Ike Tallman coached basketball at both schools.   And Al Rhodes graduated from Penn and has coached basketball at both.   

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:02 PM, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Just an outsider's opinion....I feel like Warsaw, if they want good, big, positive change, should hire someone who has never been a part of a Jensen program.  (Or someone who has proven themselves successful).  If Warsaw makes the right hire...the Tiger program could dominate.

Edited by Fairfield02