• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/22/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller  Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  Tell City:  Josh Teague  Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly  Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired 
Sign in to follow this  
NRRaider2001

Warsaw Coach Phil Jensen Retires

Beat me to it...
http://www.inkfreenews.com/2017/12/04/breaking-news-jensen-steps-down-at-warsaw/
https://warsawtigers.org/2017/12/04/386/

Should be interesting to see who they go after.  A few good internal guys in my opinion, and a few outside names.  Those external options are the former Tiger great Brad Seiss (obviously) at Merrillville and Andy Thomas who was a former assistant at Warsaw who has had great success turning around programs at Garrett, Culver and Angola. These are just my opinions and I have no inside knowledge of who they are considering.  I'd love to see either of these guys come back to Warsaw personally, or have one of the assistants like Kris Huber (current head wrestling coach for the Tigers) or Matt Thacker (current head boys & girls track coach).

Edited by NLCTigerFan07
clarified my opinions

I remember talking to him at the bar at an Indy Glazier clinic. I had no idea who he was at the time but he was a pleasure to talk to as we talked for at least an hour about a number of things. .  I wish him nothing but the best.  

Edited by Canoe Fest Charlie

12 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Beat me to it...

https://warsawtigers.org/2017/12/04/386/

Should be interesting to see who they go after.  A few good internal guys in my opinion, and a few outside names.  Those external options are the former Tiger great Brad Seiss (obviously) at Merrillville and Andy Thomas who was a former assistant at Warsaw who has had great success turning around programs at Garrett, Culver and Angola. These are just my opinions and I have no inside knowledge of who they are considering.  I'd love to see either of these guys come back to Warsaw personally, or have one of the assistants like Kris Huber (current head wrestling coach for the Tigers) or Matt Thacker (current head boys & girls track coach).

Seiss had a very tough year at Merrillville, probably the worst season in Merrillville football history.  

Has that tarnished his relative attractiveness to the Warsaw program?

• Upvote 1

Just now, DrivenT said:

Seiss had a very tough year at Merrillville, probably the worst season in Merrillville football history.  

Has that tarnished his relative attractiveness to the Warsaw program?

Secondhand, I've heard he's had nothing but support from their administration.  I am not from "The Region" so I can't speak specifically to this, maybe you can.  Apparently there has been quite the demographic shift over the past few years in Merrillville and surrounding areas.  They believe he's a great leader and understand some of the difficulties facing not only athletics but in the classroom in Merrillville.  I don't know what that specifically means, but a vague-ish answer to you question, no I don't think that has tarnished his attractiveness to Warsaw.

Merrillville is to Region football what Penn is to South Bend and Snider is to Fort Wayne.

It's been very difficult to witness the program's demise.

Hard to believe that he could have full backing based on the results after two full seasons.  Perhaps expectations have been diminished at Merrillville.  That might explain it.

Ironically, Coach Jensen’s last game and my last game were ... the same game. Despite a disappointing outcome to the game, when it was over he made a point of coming across the field to shake my hand. First class all the way!

• Upvote 4

On 12/4/2017 at 4:56 PM, bobref said:

Ironically, Coach Jensen’s last game and my last game were ... the same game. Despite a disappointing outcome to the game, when it was over he made a point of coming across the field to shake my hand. First class all the way!

And, as the article indicated, it was at his alma mater.

Coach Jensen is a fine example of the several gentlemen over the years who have impacted both the Warsaw and Penn athletic programs.  He and AD Dave Anson are graduates of Penn.    Jim Miller and the late Ike Tallman coached basketball at both schools.   And Al Rhodes graduated from Penn and has coached basketball at both.   

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:02 PM, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Just an outsider's opinion....I feel like Warsaw, if they want good, big, positive change, should hire someone who has never been a part of a Jensen program.  (Or someone who has proven themselves successful).  If Warsaw makes the right hire...the Tiger program could dominate.

Edited by Fairfield02
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Fairfield02 said:

Just an outsider's opinion....I feel like Warsaw, if they want good, big, positive change, should hire someone who has never been a part of a Jensen program.  (Or someone who has proven themselves successful).  If Warsaw makes the right hire...the Tiger program could dominate.

Why?  

• Downvote 1

Because they have a talent pool that is far bigger than anyone in their conference...or in the area besides Penn.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:56 PM, bobref said:

I had the good fortune to work at Warsaw this year.  My 1st time.  It was a pleasure to have had the chance to work with him.  I wish him the best.

Very good guy. I know Coach Barron and Coach Jensen played and I believe were roomates in college. He's always handled the Plymouth/Warsaw rivarly with class. 

wish him the best. 

On 12/11/2017 at 11:58 AM, Fairfield02 said:

I would say that Warsaw made an AWESOME hire.  Lookout NLC, Warsaw just got themselves a ball coach!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Fairfield02 said:

I would say that Warsaw made an AWESOME hire.  Lookout NLC, Warsaw just got themselves a ball coach!

I'm happy with their hire,  we will become a better conference from top to bottom with a competitive Warsaw program.

Warsaw will be very competitive...new scheme, new culture, they could be very good.

3 hours ago, NRRaider2001 said:

I'm happy with their hire,  we will become a better conference from top to bottom with a competitive Warsaw program.

I really agree with this outlook. Biggest school in the conference, so no one will have to worry about them in the postseason, but it gives the conference another layer of depth. Over in the NECC, when Angola hired Coach Thomas, it was very similar. It made our conference better, but they are the biggest school and no one has to deal with them in the post season either. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, CoachWeber said:

I really agree with this outlook. Biggest school in the conference, so no one will have to worry about them in the postseason, but it gives the conference another layer of depth. Over in the NECC, when Angola hired Coach Thomas, it was very similar. It made our conference better, but they are the biggest school and no one has to deal with them in the post season either. 

I MUST preference this by saying I am a HUGE fan of option football.

Both Andy and Bart are great coaches......coincidence?  :)

Good luck fellas.

• Upvote 4