• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/31/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley
Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

DTs Dandy Dozen - Top Off Season Topics

Now, the real fun begins.

Key offseason topics this forum will be discussing:

1. Contraction - next phase

Surrounding states are seeing more and more schools drop football at the high school level.  I expect Indiana to soon follow what is likely to become a national trend.  Look for the first round of contraction casualties to hit this offseason.  

2. PP Hegemony and the Cathedral - Peebles Marriage

What does Coach Peebles' move to Cathedral say about the recent power shift away from PPs and towards the direction of the publics?  I think a lot.  Let's discuss the ramifications.

3. Conference Realignment

Big moves already have impacted the Mid State and Conference Indiana.  Lots of chatter surrounding the Hoosier Hills and the Northwest Crossroads.  Who else is on the move, and why?

4. Coaching Changes

Several interesting current openings, and many more likely to come.  

5. Participation decline

The numbers are undeniable.  Will the trend continue?  Are moms calling all the shots and keeping junior off the gridiron?  

6. The "Bro Culture" - will it continue to spread?

God, I hope not.  But it's like a plague that is out of control.  It's unstoppable.

7. Attendance declines

Game attendance is down across the board, in every market, and at every stage of the season.  How does King Bobby Cox reverse the trend in the state tournament, and how do ADs get people away from the internet and back in to the high school football stadiums on Friday nights?

8. Officiating Shortage

Big problem for ADs and admins.  Will we see more games moved to Saturdays due to the shortage?  Will millennials answer the call and put down the joystick and pick up the whistle?  

9. Seeding and Neutral Sites

Are these options to improve the post season or just bandages on a gaping wound?  

10. IU-Purdue Recruiting in state

Are Tom Allen or Jeff Brohm proceeding with the intent to barricade off Hoosier state borders to Big Ten competitors?  Is there really enough talent in state to even bother?  Early recruiting results by both staffs seem to indicate that they are both primarily focused out of state.  

11. Does a bad Indianapolis Colts organization have a negative impact on Indiana high school football?

12. Is the success factor destroying Indiana high school's greatest football dynasties?

Edited by DrivenT

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

Surrounding states are seeing more and more schools drop football at the high school level.  I expect Indiana to soon follow what is likely to become a national trend.  Look for the first round of contraction casualties to hit this offseason.  

What does Coach Peebles' move to Cathedral say about the recent power shift away from PPs and towards the direction of the publics?  I think a lot.  Let's discuss the ramifications.

Big moves already have impacted the Mid State and Conference Indiana.  Lots of chatter surrounding the Hoosier Hills and the Northwest Crossroads.  Who else is on the move, and why?

4. Coaching Changes

5. Participation decline

The numbers are undeniable.  Will the trend continue?  Are moms calling all the shots and keeping junior off the gridiron?  

God, I hope not.  But it's like a plague that is out of control.  It's unstoppable.

7. Attendance declines

Game attendance is down across the board, in every market, and at every stage of the season.  How does King Bobby Cox reverse the trend in the state tournament, and how do ADs get people away from the internet and back in to the high school football stadiums on Friday nights?

8. Officiating Shortage

Big problem for ADs and admins.  Will we see more games moved to Saturdays due to the shortage?  Will millennials answer the call and put down the joystick and pick up the whistle?  

Are these options to improve the post season or just bandages on a gaping wound?  

Are Tom Allen or Jeff Brohm proceeding with the intent to barricade off Hoosier state borders to Big Ten competitors?  Is there really enough talent in state to even bother?  Early recruiting results by both staffs seem to indicate that they are both primarily focused out of state.  

11. Does a bad Indianapolis Colts organization have a negative impact on Indiana high school football?

12. Is the success factor destroying Indiana high school's greatest football dynasties?

You’re really stretching #2. Cathedral, Roncalli, Chatard, LCC may not have won state this year (heaven forbid) but I’ll assure you they are going nowhere. I’m more interested to know if schools like Columbus East, Lowell, East Central, Pioneer, etc can have repeat performances. Most, if not all these publics, have proud football history and I see no reason why they can’t. 

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

You’re really stretching #2. Cathedral, Roncalli, Chatard, LCC may not have won state this year (heaven forbid) but I’ll assure you they are going nowhere. I’m more interested to know if schools like Columbus East, Lowell, East Central, Pioneer, etc can have repeat performances. Most, if not all these publics, have proud football history and I see no reason why they can’t. 

This year may be the tipping point.  Bobby Cox' master plan is nearly complete, as publics took 5 out 6 state championship trophys home from Lucas Oil.  Will the pendulum swing back in the direction of the PPs?  Not if you take a look at the decline in the overall quality, depth and experience in the PP coaching ranks.  These young PP coaches have been given some great opportunities.  Expectations remain high but the fact is, PPs are not dominating at the level they used to, and the penalties imposed by the Success Factor are the primary culprit.  

The better publics have raised their game in the past few seasons.  The playing field now is much more level and competitive between the two sides.  

Answer to #7 is not broadcast the games live on the internet or TV. When I played  back in the early 2000's the only game I got to watch other than the one I had just played in was the channel 40 WHMB game of the week and I loved watching it after I got home at 1030. No one wants to go out and watch a game live at the stadium in either 100 degree heat or 20 degree winter weather when they can sit at home and watch it from the couch or La-z boy. 

Edited by warren05

20 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Other than the Turkey Run/Rockville  consolidation, which will result in one less football playing high school next season, what other Indiana school do you expect to drop football?

1 minute ago, Muda69 said:

Other than the Turkey Run/Rockville  consolidation, which will result in one less football playing high school next season, what other Indiana school do you expect to drop football?

Several are already on the chopping block due to closings/consolidations.

IPS is "biggly" impacted.

Hammond and Gary will soon follow.

The big question remains:

Which schools will contract due to competitive issues?

Those can be found at the very bottom of the Sagarin ratings.  

On 12/5/2017 at 3:31 PM, Muda69 said:

IPS is contracting without actually calling that. You're going from...

Broad Ripple, Northwest, Arlington, Shortridge, Tech, Washington, and Attucks (plus Marshall) to...

Shortridge, Tech, Washington, Attucks

8 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Broad Ripple, Northwest, Arlington, Shortridge, Tech, Washington, and Attucks (plus Marshall) to...

10 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

IPS really should just cut down to 2 football playing schools.  I big (Tech) and 1 small (Shortridge)

Attacks and Washington should be contracted for competitive reasons based on the attached Sagarins.  The programs are simply not competitive, and given the cost cutting trends at IPS, the right thing to do financially for the district in this case is to contract.

http://sagarin.com/sports/hsfsend.htm

On 12/4/2017 at 6:31 PM, DrivenT said:

4. Coaching Changes

5. Participation decline

7. Attendance declines

8. Officiating Shortage

Long time reader, first time responder...

5) Participation decline

Participation is at an all time high in our community with our youth league completely full.  Numbers are so high for our middle school and varsity programs that we had to purchase more equipment.

7) Attendance declines

We set a new gate record for the season nearly doubling the previous record which was set back in 2009

8) Officiating Shortage

While this is a problem 3 of my students that graduated last year entered the ranks and said they were not alone with quite a few other young men going to the clinics and camps with them. As coaches we are encouraging our guys that don't go play college ball but want to stay in the game to give it a try.

Despite what the media wants there is still a bright future for football...we just have to work together as a football community to continue to educate and promote safety.

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 4