• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/31/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley
Sign in to follow this  
itiswhatitis

Linton at Barr Reeve

I think this is the first time I've posted on the basketball website.  I'm usually all about football.  Didn't see a topic for this game and thought it should have one.  Maybe it won't get many posts but wanted to say how big of a game this is this early in the season since it is a big test for both teams.  Barr Reeve is ranked #1 in the class 1A polls and Linton is ranked #3 in the 2A polls.  Both are undefeated.  Barr Reeve is a one point favorite according to Harrell's website.  Who will take care of the ball?  Both defenses can put a lot of pressure on an offense, so I am expecting a fairly low scoring game.  I'm thinking whichever team scores 40, wins.  Should be a dandy! 

BR has yet to be beaten by Linton but I think that changes Friday night. BR is young and still trying to figure things out.  I think Linton wins by double digits.

28 minutes ago, SmallTown said:

BR has yet to be beaten by Linton but I think that changes Friday night. BR is young and still trying to figure things out.  I think Linton wins by double digits.

Hard for anyone to walk into Montgomery and walk out with a double digit win.  Last team to get a win by more than 10 in Montgomery was Orleans on December 1, 2007 (thank you, Harrell).  I'm not saying the SWIAC team can't go get the W, but there is only one 6'8" beefy kid on the floor and only one super athletic guard with a smooth stroke, and both play for BR.  From what I've seen, Linton has an athlete to match him, and other kids who are better pure shooters than him... but not in a combo pkg.

I've heard an opposing coach say that Linton's bench could start for most area teams and that they have no significant drop off when substituting.  I can't say for sure, just passing along what I heard.  I know they (the Miners) have several good shooters and defenders.  I would agree it is hard for anyone to go into Montgomery and get a "W" let alone get one by double digits.  Then again, I was a bit surprised at the game last weekend against Vincennes Lincoln (double digit win).  With the Vikings and the Miners playing solid defense, you have to expect it to be a low scoring game.  If it is, that probably favors the Vikings.  As I said, "it should be a dandy!"

I have seen both teams play twice and I think Linton is a much better team. This is not a typical BR team. Usually the word to describe BR is "heady" or "intelligent". Not this team - at least not so far. If you know coach Hughes you know from his comments in the local press that he was really disappointed in the behavior of his team in the Orleans game, and also he feels his team has weaknesses from a basketball perspective. I'm sure he blistered them pretty good this week. Maybe they will get the message and turn things around but I will be surprised if they are able to hang with Linton.

Linton by 8, BR stays close with FTs.  The Miners have too much depth this year, and too many ways to put the ball in the basket.  The strategy of getting the Miners best player in foul trouble wont work this year, very balanced team with multiple scoring options inside and out.  Like I said the Miners win even if a certain ref makes the trip to Montgomery.

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Hard for anyone to walk into Montgomery and walk out with a double digit win.  Last team to get a win by more than 10 in Montgomery was Orleans on December 1, 2007 (thank you, Harrell).  I'm not saying the SWIAC team can't go get the W, but there is only one 6'8" beefy kid on the floor and only one super athletic guard with a smooth stroke, and both play for BR.  From what I've seen, Linton has an athlete to match him, and other kids who are better pure shooters than him... but not in a combo pkg.

Heard an opposing coach say they felt this was the best team that Coach Hart has had while at Linton.  That is saying something when you consider the 2012 - 2013 team played for the state championship.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, basketballjones said:

but there is only one 6'8" beefy kid on the floor and only one super athletic guard with a smooth stroke, and both play for BR.  From what I've seen, Linton has an athlete to match him, and other kids who are better pure shooters than him... but not in a combo pkg.

You are right of course. O’Neill (the  beefy 6-8 kid) and Ainscough present matchup problems for the Miners. O’Neill is averaging nearly a double-double (17 ppg, 9.7 rpg) and could potentially dominate.

Linton has never matched up well with Barr-Reeve.

I’d like to see the Miners get out and run and shoot like they have so far this year. Don’t try to beat Barr-Reeve at their game.

I think this will be one of the premier matchups in SW Indiana this season.

9 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Heard an opposing coach say they felt this was the best team that Coach Hart has had while at Linton.  That is saying something when you consider the 2012 - 2013 team played for the state championship.

Deepest team for sure. There’s no Austin or Dess but this team has 9-10 guys who can play whereas the ‘12-13 team didn’t.

Should be a good game, I have Linton by 5.   Just wish Barr-Reeve's gym wasn't so terrible or I would go. 

4 hours ago, Ltown said:

Should be a good game, I have Linton by 5.   Just wish Barr-Reeve's gym wasn't so terrible or I would go. 

I know the very idea of a small rural school like BR building a new gym seems absurd in today's financial climate. However, BR really needs a better place for the kids to play. Schools today are competing for students and BR is very attractive because of their academic success, but I think their success in basketball and volleyball is also part of the package. They are planning on doing some remodeling and part of that will take away one of their practice gyms. I don't really see how they can expect to continue their successful program with only two gyms. I just think it is a shame that the players in their program put in such total effort and they have sub standard facilities.

5 hours ago, Ltown said:

I like Barr-Reeve’s gym a lot better than I like Linton’s! :08_v:

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:34 AM, itiswhatitis said:

I think that is jumping the gun a bit. The 2013 team was really good. Once they got used to the speed of the game, they gave the Gary All star team all they could handle. I like this team too, and they without question have depth that you just don't see at small schools, but let's give them time to see where they are. So far they have one seemingly good win, which may turn out not to be that good.

12 hours ago, Taps Browning said:

I think that is jumping the gun a bit. The 2013 team was really good. Once they got used to the speed of the game, they gave the Gary All star team all they could handle. I like this team too, and they without question have depth that you just don't see at small schools, but let's give them time to see where they are. So far they have one seemingly good win, which may turn out not to be that good.

Don't shoot the messenger.  LOL  I was just passing along what I heard a coach say.  Nothing more.  I agree it is way too early in the season and time will tell.  This game and the Wabash Valley classic will tell us a lot more about how good this year's Miner team is.  In 2013 that Bowman Academy team had a couple of D-1 recruits on it.  They were talented and very athletic.  Linton stayed with them for 3 quarters but I think they got a bit tired in that fourth quarter and Bowman pulled away.  It is difficult to maintain a high energy level for 4 full quarters.

That's interesting. My recollection is Linton got well behind early because they were unaccustomed to the speed that the Gary all stars played at, but after they adjusted they played them pretty even.

2 hours ago, Taps Browning said:

That's interesting. My recollection is Linton got well behind early because they were unaccustomed to the speed that the Gary all stars played at, but after they adjusted they played them pretty even.

Correct.  I remember a Linton kid burying a corner three to make it a 4 point game about midway through the final quarter.  The last few minutes Linton had to speed it up to try and close the gap, which played right into Bowman's hands and they stretched it out in the final minute.

Also, Taps did you hack Harrell to create poster board material?  His site is now saying Linton by 20.  John must be growing and smoking something good!  That number can't be right.

LOL. I don't know how the Harrell system works. I always assumed it used Sagarin somehow, but it is too early for that. I will say this if BR plays the way it has thus far, and Linton plays the way they have thus far, Linton will win by a bunch. BR has had so many good teams in a row you just assume they have another one, but not so far.

1 hour ago, Taps Browning said:

LOL. I don't know how the Harrell system works. I always assumed it used Sagarin somehow, but it is too early for that. I will say this if BR plays the way it has thus far, and Linton plays the way they have thus far, Linton will win by a bunch. BR has had so many good teams in a row you just assume they have another one, but not so far.

I don't know how it works now either.  When I stated this thread it showed Barr Reeve as a one point favorite.  Today it shows Linton is the favorite by a LOT.  LOL  

On 12/7/2017 at 9:28 AM, Ltown said:

Well I missed that one. 

Let's put the better than 2013 team talk to rest. This team couldn't get a shot inside of 25'. BR played lights out & Linton was exposed.  We don't have near the toughness or quickness we've had the past 3 years. Our defense was awful. 2013 would put this team to bed by halftime just like BR did. This maybe our worst team since 2011-12.  

For the record Linton is not deep.  Sure we have 7-8 pretty good players vs the bottom half of the SWIAC. The 9th kid rarely plays now and the 10th is a JV player on a JV team that has looked bad the last two games. In big games our rotation will be primarily 7. And all of those 7 have flaws. 

Coach Hart is a great coach and we will improve, but this is not a top 10 2A team right now. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hick said:

Let's put the better than 2013 team talk to rest. This team couldn't get a shot inside of 25'. BR played lights out & Linton was exposed.  We don't have near the toughness or quickness we've had the past 3 years. Our defense was awful. 2013 would put this team to bed by halftime just like BR did. This maybe our worst team since 2011-12.  

For the record Linton is not deep.  Sure we have 7-8 pretty good players vs the bottom half of the SWIAC. The 9th kid rarely plays now and the 10th is a JV player on a JV team that has looked bad the last two games. In big games our rotation will be primarily 7. And all of those 7 have flaws. 

Coach Hart is a great coach and we will improve, but this is not a top 10 2A team right now. 

Before the season started I wondered whether we'd be able to guard anyone. At least anyone any good, anyway. And you're right, even the top 7, every one is limited in some form or fashion.

Linton settled for passing the ball lazily around the perimeter and chucking threes. Because you're right, they couldn't get a shot inside 25 feet. Linton needs to get out and run to free up their shooters in transition. But you can't do that when the other guys are hitting 7-9 in the first quarter, 4-6 on 3s. Defense creates offense.

5 hours ago, Globemstr3 said:

Typical Miner BB stuff over the years. I cant take em serious. Never have.

This is also wrong.  Very wrong. Not sure what years you're referring to but since the 2012-13 season Linton has been one of the premier programs in both 2A and Southern Indiana. Unquestionably the best SWIAC program going.  Our record since that time is 113-29.  We've won at least 20 games every year over that span.  5 Greene Co Tourney Championships, 4 sectional titles, been to two semi-states and played in a state championship game. 

Frankly, if you can't "take that seriously" we probably shouldn't take you seriously. 

• Upvote 1

Easy.... One game... Yes, Linton was exposed a bit.  There is no football athletes that have provided athletic defenders who gave the Miners that toughness.  I think these are concerns that Coach Hart had from day 1.  A couple guys need to become tougher... Soft is the best way to describe some of them.  They will need to be more physical.  On the plus side, Lincoln Hale looked to hit a nice groove.  Right now... They have some serious work to do, but there is talent.  The foot speed issue will be the toughest to address.  

• Upvote 1