• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/28/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak  Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street
Sign in to follow this  
itiswhatitis

Linton at Barr Reeve

14 hours ago, Globemstr3 said:

Typical Miner BB stuff over the years. I cant take em serious. Never have.

Really? 

The last six years have been the first time Linton has had a decent basketball program with sustained success since back when I played - over 40 years ago!

Never have? Did you take our teams serious when we were in high school winning three sectionals in a row?

Edited by ts32
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This defiantly isn't the worst team since 2011-12,  I have a very good memory of that team, you might want to get on harrells website and look at the schedule that we played at that time and look at our schedule now, the quality of teams has increased drastically.  This team is talented, but young.  Coach Hart has made a lot of good athletes into basketball players, now we get the opportunity to watch him coach some kids that already have good basketball skills and talent.  Globemstr3 this isn't typical Linton basketball, the basketball culture has completely shifted at Linton from the 1990s and 2000s teams.  I an not meaning to take a shot at those teams either, Linton basketball teams have always played hard and aggressive. 

I whiffed on predicting the outcome of the BR game.  Greene County Coach is right lets take it one game at a time, its a process, Coach Harts teams always improve over the course of the season.  Looking forward to the only home game before the holidays Friday, should be a good one.

It has been interesting to read some of the after game comments. Coming in to this game I thought Linton was a really good 2A basketball team. I liked their depth especially. No they aren't super athletic overall, but when you have numbers, especially numbers of shooters, you can play quicker than what you are - if that makes any sense.

I didn't like the approach of Linton in the BR game. Now, the first thing to do is give credit to BR. They simply played great. Linton isn't the first talented team to come into Kavanaugh Kourt and get it's butt handed to them. However, Linton acted like they had never seen a zone defense. They did not attack it properly - you have to penetrate a zone and collapse it. They just tossed it around the perimeter a couple of times and then jacked a long shot. When BR went to man defense towards the end of the 3rd quarter Linton also did not run any offense. It was just one on one moves. Hale was good in that situation, but a team like Linton needs to be cutting and screening and getting looks from multiple players. In other words they need to do what BR did to them. I thought the execution of BR on the offensive end was nearly perfect. Finally for all the talk about the bench of Linton, it was the bench of BR that impressed. BR played 8 guys and they were all solid.

I still like Linton, but they need a different approach. They need to be much more fundamentally sound. A team with multiple shooters, playing correctly, can be really hard to beat no matter if the other team is physically superior. See Butler over the last few years as an example.

Edited by Taps Browning

On 12/10/2017 at 3:49 AM, ts32 said:

Really? 

The last six years have been the first time Linton has had a decent basketball program with sustained success since back when I played - over 40 years ago!

Never have? Did you take our teams serious when we were in high school winning three sectionals in a row?

Yes really! Overhyped Miners lose again on a clutch game. Whats new? Not in the 70's TS no way to win the State. #1 1A vs #3 2A.  2A loses by 20?

11 hours ago, Globemstr3 said:

Yes really! Overhyped Miners lose again on a clutch game. Whats new? Not in the 70's TS no way to win the State. #1 1A vs #3 2A.  2A loses by 20?

Overhyped Miners lose clutch game again? Yeah, I’ll give you that. On this occasion.

FWIW, I never thought the Miners were a Top-10 2A team to begin with. Too many questions (which were answered).

For instance, coming into this season I knew the personnel they had coming in and I knew they’d likely struggle to guard (anyone good anyway).

Overhyped? We all know what rankings are based on, especially early in the season. Rankings are basically worthless.

But typical Miner BB stuff over the years? Can’t take ‘em serious? That’s where you and I will have to agree to disagree my friend.

The 2014 team overachieved. They came within a busted inbounds play in the final seconds of repeating as regional champions. This was a ragtag bunch that didn’t even win the Greene County tourney or the SWIAC. Yet they won a sectional I didn’t figure they’d win. Beat South Knox who pounded them at Linton during the regular season.

The 2015 team went back to the semistate. Beat Mater Dei by a dozen in the regional after Mater Dei beat them by 15 in the regular season.

2016, yes they laid an egg against Providence in the regional. So maybe that’s “Typical Miner BB stuff.” But they did win their fourth sectional in a row - something that had never been done before at Linton. And winning “that” sectional is in itself an accomplishment.

Last year? I knew they’d struggle against Barr-Reeve in the sectional. But they did beat Terre Haute South in the Wabash Valley. Which only fueled the “hype” I guess.

You’re right. Losing by 20 to #1 1A is no way to win the State.

But this team is not a state title contender. Maybe they will be by March, maybe they won’t. I think not, it’s a flawed team.

But do they have to win a state title to be taken seriously????

Edited by ts32
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Globemstr3 said:

Wow.  It is called parity; lots of it in southern Indiana basketball.  For a Miner fan you don't support your boys too much.

Every year I watch the WVC... last year I sat back and watched Joey's team win 3 straight games at the WVC that they were predicted, by Harrell, to lose.  They beat Cloverdale, Northview and THS.  And starting with their sectional title victory over 2A #2 Sullivan in 2013, something like 10 of their next 12 postseason wins were "upsets" per Harrells predictions.

Clay City's boys won a handful of postseason games they were expected to lose over the past 5 years, and Shakamak won a couple last year; Bloomfield did it regularly about 15 years ago... but honestly I've not seen anyone outplay their talent the way Linton has since 2012.  I'm have no idea where you are getting "lose again in a clutch game."  Hart has built a great program over there that rivals all 2A's in the state since '12.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, ts32 said:

Overhyped Miners lose clutch game again? Yeah, I’ll give you that. On this occasion.

FWIW, I never thought the Miners were a Top-10 2A team to begin with. Too many questions (which were answered).

For instance, coming into this season I knew the personnel they had coming in and I knew they’d likely struggle to guard (anyone good anyway).

Overhyped? We all know what rankings are based on, especially early in the season. Rankings are basically worthless.

But typical Miner BB stuff over the years? Can’t take ‘em serious? That’s where you and I will have to agree to disagree my friend.

The 2014 team overachieved. They came within a busted inbounds play in the final seconds of repeating as regional champions. This was a ragtag bunch that didn’t even win the Greene County tourney or the SWIAC. Yet they won a sectional I didn’t figure they’d win. Beat South Knox who pounded them at Linton during the regular season.

The 2015 team went back to the semistate. Beat Mater Dei by a dozen in the regional after Mater Dei beat them by 15 in the regular season.

2016, yes they laid an egg against Providence in the regional. So maybe that’s “Typical Miner BB stuff.” But they did win their fourth sectional in a row - something that had never been done before at Linton. And winning “that” sectional is in itself an accomplishment.

Last year? I knew they’d struggle against Barr-Reeve in the sectional. But they did beat Terre Haute South in the Wabash Valley. Which only fueled the “hype” I guess.

You’re right. Losing by 20 to #1 1A is no way to win the State.

But this team is not a state title contender. Maybe they will be by March, maybe they won’t. I think not, it’s a flawed team.

But do they have to win a state title to be taken seriously????

^^ This! I loved that 2014 team. Hands down my favorite of Coach Hart's tenure. That team's cup overflowed with toughness. They returned one starter (role player in 2013) from a state runner up and two others who saw some spot duty. The makeup of that team was a bunch of kids trying to prove something. A lot seniors who felt their shot at the big stage was overdue after playing JV for three years. 

I loved watching Zach Ridell play basketball. He was a undersized post with what, a 4" vertical? But he was a leader, smart, crafty and stretched the floor.  A tough kid that wasn't born with a silver spoon, but backed down to no one.

2017 would be a top 5 2A team with Zach Ridell

Edited by hick
  • Upvote 1

Zach and Bryant Jackson both brought a level of toughness to that team... They would make any team tougher and better.  I think there are guys with some of those qualities on the 2017 team... They just haven't quite figured it out yet.  Evan Slover has some of that grit as does Silas Robbins... I'm not sure either one realize how important they will be to this team.  

One last post from me on this. I absolutely think Linton can compete for a 2A title this year. They are going to have to play different. They need to develop zone defense post haste.

But they have things that win tournament games. Looking way down the road you ask how could they beat a team like Indianapolis Howe? Maybe they couldn't - but the way to beat them would be to force them to shoot jump shots, block out, don't turn it over, and light em up with perimeter shots. You can always get good shots off a team like Howe if you are patient and can beat their pressure. Know any teams that have guys who can light it up with jump shots?

Don't give up on Linton because of a loss to a good team that just played nearly perfect.

I certainly am not giving up on this team and any Miner fan with a clue should not either. I don't however believe our bumps in the road are all in the rearview mirror. Coach Hart uses those bumps as moments to define his team's character. 

Coach Hart is a top 5 coach in Southern Indiana (as is Coach Hughes).  Barring injury or the unforeseen, it's a near certainty Linton will be better in March and in my mind we are the sectional favorite.  Joey is pretty darn good in the tourney incase anyone forgot. 

Mental 1st, toughness 2nd, togetherness 3rd, ability 4th, technique 5th....