• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/31/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner
Sign in to follow this  
fc coach

Kirk Kennedy Retires

Come on down Wes Gillman!

It's a shame. He was demanding and old school and probably hadn't changed from his Lowell days but he had a number of kids quit on him during the year.  My guess it was a combination of the admin asking him to step down / things are just different at FC.  He's a very good coach when kids decide they want to buy in.

Edited by Canoe Fest Charlie
  • Upvote 1

Note how Kennedy commented on the roster size at FC this season.  Only 36 kids on a 4A roster.  No doubt that factored into his decision to walk away

8 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Note how Kennedy commented on the roster size at FC this season.  Only 36 kids on a 4A roster.  No doubt that factored into his decision to walk away

Part of the reason kids walked away is because Kennedy was "too tough" on them.  FC has been 'apathetic' ever since the Grider days.  

Edited by Canoe Fest Charlie

I guess that is just a sign of the times.  If kids are no longer responding to your approach and your methods, its best to hand off the torch to a "bro" who can better connect with the kids on an emotional level.

His last year at North Judson, in week 3 I think I remember seeing 20-23 some players in uniform 9-12th grade.   His style wins if buy in happens.   Lowell bought in.  Bloomington South, Judson, and now FC seems like they didn't.   Lowell still buys in.   

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Can't teach an old dog new tricks.  I doubt Kennedy was doing any flying chest bumps with his players or his assistants during games this season.  He just doesn't fit in anymore.  Out to pasture.  

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

I guess that is just a sign of the times.  If kids are no longer responding to your approach and your methods, its best to hand off the torch to a "bro" who can better connect with the kids on an emotional level.

I don't see how adapting to the culture and kids you are coaching is a bad thing? Obviously there is a line between player and coach, but just because it isn't the same as it was in the "old school" days doesn't mean it isn't successful or productive. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

His last year at North Judson, in week 3 I think I remember seeing 20-23 some players in uniform 9-12th grade.   His style wins if buy in happens.   Lowell bought in.  Bloomington South, Judson, and now FC seems like they didn't.   Lowell still buys in.   

You know who else will buy in around the area? East Central.  He'd be a great addition to the coaching staff if he wants to go along for the ride next year. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DrivenT said:

Kennedy apparently couldn't adapt to that new line.  

How do we know this is the reason? He has been coaching a long time. He has had success in many seasons. Maybe he just wanted to call it a career and do/be something besides a  football coach. Just because someone doesnt coach until they die does not mean they are unable to adapt with the kids along the way. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, olinecoach said:

How do we know this is the reason? He has been coaching a long time. He has had success in many seasons. Maybe he just wanted to call it a career and do/be something besides a  football coach. Just because someone doesnt coach until they die does not mean they are unable to adapt with the kids along the way. 

As a FC fan, I can tell you there were a number of kids that quit throughout the year. Heck, some quit before the season started because of his style.  Now, is that the reason he quit? I don't know. But I think it's a good assumption.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, olinecoach said:

Coaches usually have a reason for walking away.  Kennedy has struggled at his last 3 stops after leaving Lowell.  Perhaps that failure combined with the dwindling participation numbers is what pushed him to make the final decision.  Or maybe he's just tired of it, like Trent Grider seemed to be at Highland.  

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

Your "Bro" comments are getting tiresome. New rant please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Congratulations to Coach Kennedy on a fantastic coaching career.  No doubt that those who were privileged to play for him learned many valuable life lessons.  He held people accountable and had higher expectations for players and his staff than they had for themselves. 

I wish him the best of luck in retirement.  

His run from 2003 to 2009 is nothing short of impressive.   

Kirk Kennedy coaching record
Season School Won Lost Championship
1994 Lowell 11   regional
1995 Lowell  
1996 Lowell  
1997 Lowell  
1998 Lowell  
1999 Lowell 12   regional
2000 Lowell  
2001 Lowell  
2002 Lowell  
2003 Lowell 11   sectional
2004 Lowell  sectional
2005 Lowell 11   state
2006 Lowell  sectional
2007 Lowell 13   semistate
2008 Lowell 13   regional
2009 Lowell 13   semistate

Edited by Sycamore78
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

Can't teach an old dog new tricks.  

Disagree. There are plenty of "old dogs" still out there coaching with success.

This comment is specific to your post and not a knock on Kennedy. I heartily congratulate him on a career full of making a difference for student athletes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

The Ole Dog Changed His Offence,  You know the kind that Kids want to run now days.

Team Numbers are down and so is the Enrollment

Millennials are a different breed. You do have to coach different of they will not respond. Can one put the blame on them...NO

AC in every home, Internet, Cell phones, Computers, Why would a kid  want to go out side and sweat work hard.

Now the Concussion deal has parents worried.

NFL has changed ( the games are boring )

Coaching in an area where you are not from is hard when the community will not open up to your ways.

Franklin County ..... UNIQUE to say the least

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, wolves on the prowl said:

Can someone refresh my memory, why did he leave Lowell? 

Without being inside his head, obviously, he got an opportunity to coach Bloomington South along with a job in the school that wasn't teaching.  I'm not sure what the actual title was, but it was something that wouldn't have him int he classroom (or gym/classroom as was the case at Lowell) all day.  Plus, the chance to work at a 5a school.  

Personally, i always thought Lowell was the perfect setting for him. I never thought his ways would work at a 5a program, especially one like Bloomington South.  Never should have left Lowell, in my humble opinion.  But to each his own.

Although he would probably be surprised to hear it, Coach Kennedy was one of my very favorites among the coaches I’ve worked for. We had our share of disagreements. But I loved working games involving his teams. Always so intense, so committed. Just like him.

9 hours ago, Fringe said:

Franklin County ..... UNIQUE to say the least

YES....and that is an understatement.

Brookville is perhaps the most oddly insular community I have ever seen (and I grew up there) - outsiders need not apply.  They don't even like people from other parts of the county. 

I was afraid that Kennedy would be fighting an uphill battle from the beginning regardless of his style.  I had hoped he could change things there - but then, I still believe in Santa Claus.

Strange little town....

East Central would totally "get" him if he were on staff there, btw.  East Central is pretty much "Lowell South" (or Lowell is "East Central North") from what I can tell.

Bummer to hear this.

Edit - btw, he did manage to get his team to battle EC up through the 4th Quarter this year.

Edited by Lysander

10 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

He probably didn't make many friends at BHSS since he lost to BNL twice.

On 12/6/2017 at 8:47 PM, DanteEstonia said:

He probably didn't make many friends at BHSS since he lost to BNL twice.

Those two losses to bnl were competitive close games  at least. His third year  at south he handled bnl then proceeded to lose the rest of the games that year. I cannot say it was all his fault at bhss . During his tenure the panthers had an amazing run at boys basketball and football was just the sport that was played until basketball started. Losing to bnl wasn't that hard to take bnl was probably at the highest level they have seen during that time period. Problem i did have during his tenure was the amount of kids that transferred to bhsn or elsewhere or just flat out quit football and played other sports , kennedy supporters will say what they want but this era of kids just did not/ do not  not like him so much.  Could be his brand of coaching is a bygone philosophy that will only succeed in certain environments. Had all those kids not left team etc etc we may not have lost those two very close games to bnl But brett szabo had a good thing going there in bedford give credit where it is due .  Back to kennedy though  He actually wasn't doing that bad at fc he had .500 + seasons each year he was there. Sort of shocked to see him hang it up.