• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/31/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner
Sign in to follow this  
BisonUmpire

NFHS Rules Questionnaire

The NFHS releases a rules survey every year for coaches and officials to present to the rules committee. Rule changes had to be submitted by early November so they know which proposals will be presented to the committee when they meet in Indianapolis in January. The survey usually gives you a good idea of the proposed changes submitted that year. Below are the questions on this year's survey. The first set sometimes are just feelers for future rule changes. I'll add a separate topic for the 40-second play clock.

Have you had issues with the following:
1. Announcers announcing or playing amplified music when opponent’s offense is on the field.
2. School bands playing when an opponent’s offense is on the field.
3. Proper enforcement of blindside block fouls.
4. The numbers on game jerseys becoming more difficult to see during a game.
5. Low blocks by the defense against the offense outside the free-blocking zone and not being properly called.
6. Low blocks by the offense against the defense outside the free-blocking zone and not being properly called.
7. The number of non-game personnel that are on the sideline outside the team box.
8. Increasing use of tooth and mouth protectors with logo/pictures/words on them.
9. Different-colored helmets being worn by members of the same team.

Would you favor?
1. Starting a 40-second play count when the ball is ruled dead after a down.
2. Allowing a player to save a loss of yardage by throwing the ball so that it lands beyond the neutral zone, if the player is outside the tackle position.
3. At the snap, no more than four backs rather than seven on the line.
4. Using instant replay, knowing that there will be a financial cost to the schools.
5. Requiring a set distance between each player on the kicking team prior to the kick.
6. Allowing a passer to spike the ball from the shotgun formation.
7. Making forward pass interference by the defense an automatic first down for the offense.
8. Adding the nameplate area on the back of the jersey to the existing Horse-collar rule.
9. All illegal personal contact fouls in Rule 9-4 to carry an automatic first down.

Part 2 - #2.  I'm amazed at the number of fans (and probably HS QB's as well) who don't understand the difference between the NCAA/NFL rules and NFHS.  If I've heard someone in the stands yell "He was out of the tackle box!!!" once, I've heard it 1,000 times.  

#6 - I don't see that as being a problem.  If I'm not mistaken, isn't the spike attempt required to bring the ball above the waist before spiking downward?  It seems like that is rarely enforced, probably because of the uproar it would cause.  But I've seen plenty of HS and college QB's spike attempts look more like dribbling a basketball.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

#6 - I don't see that as being a problem.  If I'm not mistaken, isn't the spike attempt required to bring the ball above the waist before spiking downward?  It seems like that is rarely enforced, probably because of the uproar it would cause.  But I've seen plenty of HS and college QB's spike attempts look more like dribbling a basketball.

That is not a requirement. It just needs to be a pass. Most guys won't get too technical on the technique unless it's absolutely obvious the snap was muffed.

Thanks for the clarification @BisonUmpire. Maybe I just heard it coached that way to Remove any doubt.

At least it’s not like when I played. I was once flagged for intentional grounding on 1st and goal inside the 10 before the NFHS rule allowed spikes. Now that was a tough penalty!!

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

Part 2 - #2.  I'm amazed at the number of fans (and probably HS QB's as well) who don't understand the difference between the NCAA/NFL rules and NFHS.  If I've heard someone in the stands yell "He was out of the tackle box!!!" once, I've heard it 1,000 times.  

Heck, the play-by-play guy on the 3A IHSAA TV broadcast even said it....  LOL.

24 minutes ago, tango said:

Heck, the play-by-play guy on the 3A IHSAA TV broadcast even said it....  LOL.

In either the 4a or 6a game they were debating back and forth on if the ball got to the LOS or not and if the qb was out of the tackle box. That and people yelling about a horse collar tackle when they runner is tackled or falls forward

In the first group, yes to #3 & #4

Second group, yes to #1, #4 only at state games, & maybe #7 only on plays starting within the redzone.