• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/29/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak  Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired
Sign in to follow this  
BisonUmpire

40-Second Play Clock

If I am not mistaken, we were told with the implementation of the 40 second play clock to have the ball spotted within 8-12 seconds of the play clock starting.  I feel like eight seconds is plenty of time for hurry up offenses.  The only thing that got in the way sometimes was when you had a slow box.  The umpire is supposed to stay over the ball until we have the box.  If you have a long run and an slow person on the box, that is what can get in the way...  But I am with most officials.... Keep the 40

• Upvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:04 AM, BisonUmpire said:

Why do you think the play clock has an affect on the length of your games? We've been tracking game length for the past 2 years and our average is about 2:20. We've had several just over 2:00. The biggest impact to game length has been number of scores, turnovers, and incomplete passes. Those are the things that extend the length of the game because they cause the clock to be stopped for a period of time.

Looking back over some of the years in which I have data, 2:20 was about the average.  However, now it seems 2:30 to be the average for us.  Is there more scoring, passes, longer 1/2 time, more penalties, poor clock operators, were we faster at placing and starting the 25 clock then what the 40 clock can do?  I don't know. Like I said, it just seems to be longer.  I haven't kept data for the past few years.  I know there is a correlation between all that and game length.  We had a 3 hour game this year with one team going 3 of 17 in the air and the other going 5 of 20 and a combined 20 penalties and 60+ points.  That makes for a crappy night.

14 minutes ago, zardoz34 said:

Looking back over some of the years in which I have data, 2:20 was about the average.  However, now it seems 2:30 to be the average for us.  Is there more scoring, passes, longer 1/2 time, more penalties, poor clock operators, were we faster at placing and starting the 25 clock then what the 40 clock can do?  I don't know. Like I said, it just seems to be longer.  I haven't kept data for the past few years.  I know there is a correlation between all that and game length.  We had a 3 hour game this year with one team going 3 of 17 in the air and the other going 5 of 20 and a combined 20 penalties and 60+ points.  That makes for a crappy night.

I think it has much more to do with the prevalence of passing in today’s game.

2 hours ago, bobref said:

I think it has much more to do with the prevalence of passing in today’s game.

When the timing rules were changed however many years ago, that was the biggest difference I've seen. 

We had IC back in the Casey Gillin days, we had a first half that lasted like 1:30, we were kinda like that's the longest half of Football in history, and one of their assistants told us going in at halftime, great job guys, that's the fastest half we've played all year.

Several years back had two no huddle spread check with me teams. Neither team could throw it or catch it. Nearly two hours for the first half. I didn't think that game would EVER get over. Aside from the fact it was two bad teams.