• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/31/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner
Sign in to follow this  
1st_and_10

2017 Mr. Football... Reese Taylor

Congrats to Isaac Guerendo winning the position award for WR best of luck at Wisconsin! Isaac is also the 3rd consecutive Oriole to win a Mr. Football position award:

Bryant Fitzgerald DB 2016 

Brandon Peters QB 2015 (Overall winner) 

Congratulations to Reese and to Johnny Adams! Two very deserving players! Two of the best I've seen at BD.

As always, a great representation of Indy area players (with a sprinkle of northern IN)....

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, tango said:

As always, a great representation of Indy area players (with a sprinkle of northern IN)....

:15_v:

5 hours ago, tango said:

It makes sense considering it's "The Indystar Mr Football Awards" and "The Indystar Position Awards". I would expect if it were "The CourierPress Mr. Football" it would lean more towards the Evansville area players. 

In curiosity whom do you feel is undeserving of the awards and whom should replace them?

Then why have kids from northern Indiana, who I assume made all-whatever teams from South Bend and Ft. Wayne?  I would assume “Mr. Position Anything” would encompass the entire state, from N to S, E to W.  Does the Star not have a all-Metro team?  It did when I lived there.  I can give you stats, but won’t do it on an open forum out of respect for the kids who were given the awards.  If you want to PM me, feel free and I’ll provide an example of Indy bias or simple laziness on the part of the person(s) who made the selection .  BTW, I have zero issue with Mr. Football.  It was a no-brainer and the kid was flat out amazing...And he won a state title.

Edited by tango
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, tango said:

Then why have kids from northern Indiana, who I assume made all-whatever teams from South Bend and Ft. Wayne?  I would assume “Mr. Position Anything” would encompass the entire state, from N to S, E to W.  Does the Star not have a all-Metro team?  It did when I lived there.  I can give you stats, but won’t do it on an open forum out of respect for the kids who were given the awards.  If you want to PM me, feel free and I’ll provide an example of Indy bias or simple laziness on the part of the person(s) who made the selection .  BTW, I have zero issue with Mr. Football.  It was a no-brainer and the kid was flat out amazing...And he won a state title.

Anyone arguing Reese Taylor winning Mr. Football missed the State game or has their rose color glasses on... I thought they should have walked out there after the 1st Q of the 6A State Finals and gave it to him.

No doubt there is a Central Indiana/"doughnut" county bias... IndyStar is going to cater to their readers/demographic/geographic area...

Sure, stats are good... But are the stats against the same level of competition?  We have seen it forever... I am not sure a 1A player will ever win Mr. Football, there has only been 1 2A winner (that I can recall off the top of my head) and only  2 3A winners (unless Franklin County was 3A back in 92)...

Year Player High School College  
1992 Alex Smith, RB[2] Franklin County Indiana  
1993 Bo Barzilauskas, OL/DL Bloomington South Indiana  
1994 Josh Martini, RB East Central United States Marine Corps  
1995 Earl Haniford, QB Martinsville Indiana  
1996 Israel Thompson, RB Martinsville Ball State  
1997 DuJuan Daniels, RB Bishop Chatard Boston College  
1998 Rex Grossman, QB Bloomington South Florida  
1999 Derrick Ellis, RB Indianapolis Arlington    
2000 Otis Shannon, RB Indianapolis Cathedral Harper College  
2001 James Banks, QB/DB[3] Ben Davis Tennessee
Carson–Newman

2002 Clayton Richard, QB McCutcheon Michigan  
2003 Desmond Tardy, QB Warren Central Purdue  
2004 Jason Werner, WR/S Roncalli Purdue  
2005 Dexter Taylor, QB Warren Central Tulsa
Western Kentucky
Marian

2006 Darren Evans, RB Warren Central Virginia Tech  
2007 Paul McIntosh, QB Evansville Reitz Army
Southern Illinois

2008 Morgan Newton, QB Carmel Kentucky  
2009 Daniel Wodicka, QB[4] West Lafayette Johns Hopkins University  
2010 Tre Roberson, QB[5] Lawrence Central Indiana
Illinois State

2011 Gunner Kiel, QB Columbus East Notre Dame
Cincinnati

2012 Jaylon Smith, RB/LB[1] Bishop Luers Notre Dame  
2013 Terry McLaurin, WR[6] Cathedral Ohio State  
2014 Markell Jones, RB[7] Columbus East Purdue  
2015 Brandon Peters, QB[8] Avon Michigan  
2016 Hunter Johnson, QB[9] Brownsburg Clemson  
2017 Reese Taylor, QB[10] Ben Davis Indiana

On 12/6/2017 at 10:55 PM, tango said:

I agree Mr. Position anything would encompass the entire state from N to S to E to W. Yes there is an All City and All County. What I am stating is these awards are not based solely on statistics and I personally wouldn't want it to be based on stats (so you don't need to share stats). The reason why because stats can be misleading and inflated depending on who a team plays throughout the season. By stating that it makes sense, I mean that the proportion of Indy area kids is greater than other places in the State because this is awarded by the IndyStar who is able to see a majority of the Indy area players. There has been Mr. Football awarded to a player from Evansville.

I have watched all of the players that won the position awards play except for: Punter, Defensive Line, and Kicker. All teh players I have watched were very deserving of the award and I can definitely see why the colleges that they are going to have recruited them. Reese Taylor is an unbelievable talent and fun to watch. Emil Ekiyor has amazing footwork for a big man and is a dominant O-lineman. Cam McGrone and Hugh Davis were both extremely fun to watch Linebackers who were doing so against some very good teams. Isaac Guerendo was a fantastic WR that some may not know but when you watch him play he was extremely good not just at WR but as a return man. Alec Burton was a fantastic Tight End very talented and I am surprised he isn't getting looks by Indiana or Purdue. Johnny Adams throughout the season was a game breaker RB to compliment Taylor. Paul Moala was a fantastic DB that flew all over the field and was also a great return man. All of them I felt were deserving of their awards That is just my opinion.

Edited to strike through the sentence about the IndyStar being able to see a majority of Indy area players. I still stand by my statement about these awards not based solely on stats and my statements on the terrific players that won these awards.

Edited by FastpacedO

The IndyStar does not select the winners of Mr. Football/Mr. Football Position Awards.  They are selected by Coaches, specifically the IFCA ratings board.  Each sectional across the state has a representative there to vote so that every area of the state is represented. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

Thank you for the information Coach.  Congrats on a great season and some darn good football players you have up there.  

5 minutes ago, tango said:

Thank you for the information Coach.  Congrats on a great season and some darn good football players you have up there.  

No problem. Thank you! And congrats to Memorial nation on a well-earned State Championship! 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

I agree Mr. Position anything would encompass the entire state from N to S to E to W. Yes there is an All City and All County. What I am stating is these awards are not based solely on statistics and I personally wouldn't want it to be based on stats (so you don't need to share stats). The reason why because stats can be misleading and inflated depending on who a team plays throughout the season. By stating that it makes sense, I mean that the proportion of Indy area kids is greater than other places in the State because this is awarded by the IndyStar who is able to see a majority of the Indy area players. There has been Mr. Football awarded to a player from Evansville.

I have watched all of the players that won the position awards play except for: Punter, Defensive Line, and Kicker. All teh players I have watched were very deserving of the award and I can definitely see why the colleges that they are going to have recruited them. Reese Taylor is an unbelievable talent and fun to watch. Emil Ekiyor has amazing footwork for a big man and is a dominant O-lineman. Cam McGrone and Hugh Davis were both extremely fun to watch Linebackers who were doing so against some very good teams. Isaac Guerendo was a fantastic WR that some may not know but when you watch him play he was extremely good not just at WR but as a return man. Alec Burton was a fantastic Tight End very talented and I am surprised he isn't getting looks by Indiana or Purdue. Johnny Adams throughout the season was a game breaker RB to compliment Taylor. Paul Moala was a fantastic DB that flew all over the field and was also a great return man. All of them I felt were deserving of their awards That is just my opinion.

2 hours ago, CoachWoodsDanville said:

The IndyStar does not select the winners of Mr. Football/Mr. Football Position Awards.  They are selected by Coaches, specifically the IFCA ratings board.  Each sectional across the state has a representative there to vote so that every area of the state is represented. 

Thanks Coach.  No system will be perfect, even with 1 rep per sectional.  That said, congrats to this list of position recipients!

Edited by Titan32

Indy Star sponsors it, but as Coach Woods said, selected by IFCA folks.   I thought they did a fine job once again.   

• Upvote 1

Congratulations to Reese Taylor!  It's an honor well deserved!

Congrats also to Cathedral's Emil Ekiyor and Hugh Davis !