• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/28/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak  Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street
Sign in to follow this  
Muda69

Old School: This 83-year-old coach and freshman phenom are rejuvenating Blackford hoops

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/12/07/old-school-83-year-old-coach-and-freshman-phenom-rejuvenating-blackford-hoops/920152001/

HARTFORD CITY, Ind. — Let’s play a little game. Following this paragraph are three storylines. Pick out the one that seems the most unreal:

1.  An 82-year-old man is hired to coach a high school basketball team after stepping down from his last coaching job three years ago.
  2.  A freshman, who was home-schooled until high school, scores 98 points (32.7 per game) in the first three games of his career.
  3.  A high school basketball team starts the season 3-0 after going a combined 0-47 over the last two years.

The most unreal? All of the above?

Actually, all are true. And as unbelievable as it sounds, they're all happening on the same team.

That's right, after a win at Blue River last weekend, Blackford is 3-0 in boys basketball for the first time since the 1991-92 season. The same program that had become an East Central Indiana doormat over the past few seasons is filling gyms and believing it can beat anyone on its schedule.

A nice story so far.  I wish Blackford continued success.

Love seeing this for blackford! I think though I will be more impressed when they play some better quality teams. Teams with an 0-10 combined record is hard to judge your team against! It is still impressive that he has upgraded the team with his coachi g and his grandson shooting so well. Again good luck to coach and blackford

Edited by caliboy24

On 12/7/2017 at 2:57 PM, Muda69 said:

Well, when I read the IndyStar article and saw the "83-year-old coach" was Jerry Hoover, I wasn't surprised they're having success. 

JD Hoover was in the Heritage Hills program the past two seasons as a Sophomore he was one of the best JV players on the team and last year as a Junior he was 6th man and averaged 4.9 ppg.

Nice story.... but something seems fishy with this. 4 year contract to the Hoover family as the grandson and grandson's friend are freshman stars...

I'm not sure there is anything fishy... they are pretty adamant the only reason this kid went to Blackford was due to the family ties.  Perfectly legal as long as he is a freshman... IHSAA transfer rules don't apply.

Watch some of this kids you tube videos... pretty impressive.  I think they compared him to the next Steve Nash... probably a little premature, but he is clearly a talented kid.  There are a couple more Hoover boys moving through the ranks.  

The families have moved and become part of our community. Besides basketball the kids are a fine additions to our school and the coach and parents are great additions to our community. 

• Upvote 2

Really happy for Jerry Hoover too. And kudos to Blackford for looking past his age, seeing what he's accomplished and realizing he's still capable.

1 hour ago, ts32 said:

Really happy for Jerry Hoover too. And kudos to Blackford for looking past his age, seeing what he's accomplished and realizing he's still capable.

Really? You think if he wasn't bringing ringers with him that they still would have hired him?

38 minutes ago, Taps Browning said:

Really? You think if he wasn't bringing ringers with him that they still would have hired him?

Taps, I'm just going by what I read in the IndyStar article LOL!

That and what I know of Jerry Hoover's history. 

According to the article, Blackford wasn't going to hire him until they vetted him and a simple Google search turned up an endless list of Jerry Hoover stuff.

Of course ringers help. And maybe that's why they hired him.

But as an old guy who's been "put out to pasture" a time or two myself, I'm happy to see the old guy get another chance to do what he does.

I'm still p!ssed Dos Equis put my man "The Most Interesting Man In The World" out to pasture to cater to millennials!!! :07_v: 

I have noticed that the person who plays the most interesting man in the world is no longer interesting.

I'm old too, and being pushed aside because of your age is tough to take, but at the same time I'm a realist and age takes its toll eventually.

I get it. It's a nice story. However, for me, I see another side. The whole premise of high school basketball is to have randomly distributed abilities. In other words even competition. What I see happening is it becoming a recruiting exercise more like college basketball. It was really hard to have actual competition in classes when we just had a few private schools, but now with all of the charters and also with open enrollment it may be impossible.

4 hours ago, Taps Browning said:

I get it. It's a nice story. However, for me, I see another side. The whole premise of high school basketball is to have randomly distributed abilities. In other words even competition. What I see happening is it becoming a recruiting exercise more like college basketball. It was really hard to have actual competition in classes when we just had a few private schools, but now with all of the charters and also with open enrollment it may be impossible.

Good point.

I got a chance to meet some of the Hoover family... Good kids.  As for the other kid, it isn't as if they went to AAU tournament and started promising the world.   He had a connection to the Hoover family, so he decided to play at Blackford.  

Coach Hoover coached at Ben Davis from 1975-1978...he's still coaching. Just crazy.