• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/21/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired
Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

Hobart Job is Open NOW FILLED

Hobart Head Coach Ryan Turley has resigned and the job is now open.  The Brickies finished 6-4 this season, 3-2 in the Northwest Crossroads Conference.

Hobart has a storied football history, with 11 state finals appearances and 4 championships, all under legendary Coach Don Howell.

Edited by Coach Nowlin

12 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Not a single comment on the Hobart opening.

Interesting

There are 26 job openings now!  I think that is a big number for this time of year especially since the shuffle has not taken place yet.  I just think everyone sees the Hobart job as just another job.  It does not hold the credibility that it once did.  

From up this way, it is widely considered a done conclusion w Craig Osika getting the nod.  In the building.  Former player.  Current Assistant.

I dont necessarily believe it.  Not saying it wont happen or that Coach O is not capable, you just never know who might apply.  Maybe a college coach who wants to be closer to home.  Maybe an experienced coach from out of the area looking for a "challenge".  Maybe a coach who is retired and wants to get back into it.  You just never know.

Edited by Coach Ellenwood

19 minutes ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

From up this way, it is widely considered a done conclusion w Craig Osika getting the nod.  In the building.  Former player.  Current Assistant.

I dont necessarily believe it.  Not saying it wont happen or that Coach O is not capable, you just never know who might apply.  Maybe a college coach who wants to be clsoer to home.  Maybe an experienced coach from out of the area looking for a "challenge".  Maybe a coach who is retired and wants to get back into it.  You just never know.

Perhaps its time Hobart take a look at an outsider for this job.

14 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Last time Hobart did that, they ran Wally out of town, in my opinion unjustly.........

Thought he resigned.

Edited by Coach Ellenwood

This is something...

I’ve always admired the Brickies’ program and hope they bring in a good coach.

IMO, it's amazing that Hobart completely fell off the radar after Howell retired. In '95, they blew a huge hafltime lead in Semi-State to eventual State Champ Fort Wayne Wayne. They lost to Cathedral in the State Championship in '96. In '97 they had 1 loss to eventual State Champ Griffith in Regionals. In '98, Howell's last year, they went 4-6. Since then, they have 1 Sectional Championship. What did Howell do so well and what is keeping Hobart from having the same success as Lowell?

I suppose if Osika wanted it he would be a front runner. He’s a teacher, wife is a teacher, Mom is a teacher, Fathernin law is a teacher and long time coach all in Hobart. Not that’s why he’d get it but he is a part of a great family all tied into the education. He’s a good fit and I think the kids would play hard for him.  Hard to say what he wants though.. a lot has changed this year losing Turley plus not really knowing if long time D coordinator will be or wants to be back anytime soon after having health issues. 

Who knows what teaching jobs are opening and who is available...always a dilemma. 

As far as the Outsider taking the job like Wally. I was a Wally Fan but a lot of people weren’t. I think he dealt with thing s that a lot of coaches dealt with but the fact that it happened in Hobart made Brickie fans out to be villains. Some deserving. But he quit. His next stint didn’t go well either so even though I thought he was a decent coach it’s not like he moved on and turned Portage around. That’s not a knock. It’s the truth. Life changes and I think that effects coaches and how they coach...or prepare anyway. 

Coach E mentioned old time Brickies maybe through with the college scene IE Karras. I love the idea of the Karasses coming no to town. Again there would have to be an opening. I don’t think the administration truly cares about how the product does as long as it looks good. Who knows how hard they look to replace Turley. Osika if he wants it I’d bet would get it and Id be good with that. I’d like to see them at least interview some people though. See who wlse even wants it. 

As far as the comment about being just another job...certainly not the program it once was...but they are loaded with talent right now varsity through 7th grade good pop warner teams coming up, beautiful field , great facilities, new school, great fan support, Big booster club, nice AD budget....I think it’s potentially at least better than just another job. 

Why did we fall off after Howell?? Legacy kids are rare anymore...half of Hobart settled down in Fishers..kids went to college instead of the mills. Used to see kids playing sandlot on every corner in town. Got all new people who didn’t know Hobart was even good at football. It’s a different world for sure but I think it’s a good place to be still...maybe they do need a fresh start with someone new from the outside but I don't have faith that they wouldn’t  make the right hire looking at some of the other sports hires if they did. The school system has become a girls club leadership wise and the school board works for the super int.  Or that’s the optics anyway. That’s not to say they aren’t good people, because there are some exceptional people....just don’t believe athletics is their priority, or winning athletics is anyway. 

When we played Hobart in the sectional I got the feeling the coach was going to hang it up.  Seemed like the tournament intensity was not there

19 hours ago, Indian72 said:

When we played Hobart in the sectional I got the feeling the coach was going to hang it up.  Seemed like the tournament intensity was not there

That may have some truth, but the fact is he was arrested for DUI on November 18th.  I'm pretty sure that sealed the deal as far as his "retirement".

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/news/ct-ptb-hobart-turley-dui-st-1209-20171208-story.html

Hopefully they are able to bring in someone to keep the momentum going.  I thought they had a pretty decent last couple years. They just really struggled at the end of the season this year. A lot of football history there as well as great new facilities.

Ouch not good.  Agree that I was surprised at them during the last game.  Not physical like you expected from the Brickies.

One never knows what goes on in one's personal life

as expected by many:  Craig Osika was promoted to Head Coach tonight.  Congrats