• Announcements

    • Coach Nowlin

      HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/28/2017

      CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak  Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street
Sign in to follow this  
NRRaider2001

New Haven coach Jim Rowland resigns

Recommended Posts

Per the News Sentinel

New Haven football coach Jim Rowland has resigned after 17 years as coach.

Rowland’s tenure was the current longest streak at one school of any coach in Allen County. He informed his players of his decision today.

The Bulldogs were 9-2 last season and 6-1 in the Northeast 8 Conference, tying East Noble and Leo for the championship. New Haven’s season ended with a 13-6 loss to Bishop Dwenger in the sectional semifinals.

During his tenure, Rowland led the Bulldogs to four sectional titles and one regional title. He led them to at least seven wins over the last eight seasons. New Haven won 11 games twice, including an 11-1 season in 2016.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

My dad's alma mater (class of 1954).

Go Bulldogs!

Best wishes all!

Same here, my alma mater.. Roland did a fine job. Very respectable tenure at new Haven. We were the whippin’ boys when I went thru there, with coach Armstrong and coach Becker. Who ever takes over will have big shoes to fill. 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to Coach Rowland for his successful run! Hopefully he’ll be back coaching some day in the future. Can remember watching Jacquay run all over people his fist year. Hard to believe that was over 15 years ago.

 

Should be interesting to see whom gets this job. NH is 20-3 past two seasons, and competed well against BD this year. Seems to me they have a pretty decent talent pool of athletes. Lots of potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just thinking to myself, maybe Warsaw would be a good fit as well....but from what I've read, he wants to step away for now to spend more time with family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2017 at 9:38 AM, NRRaider2001 said:

Just thinking to myself, maybe Warsaw would be a good fit as well....but from what I've read, he wants to step away for now to spend more time with family.

Maybe Dwenger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think both schools Warsaw and Dwenger are lateral moves for him. Doubt those are in his list of dream jobs. If he would ever to get back in. 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, southend said:

I think both schools Warsaw and Dwenger are lateral moves for him. Doubt those are in his list of dream jobs. If he would ever to get back in. 

Moving from New Haven with one regional championship in it's history to Dwenger who has won 5 state, 15 semi states, and 20 regional championships is a lateral move?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While success is not comparable between the two, the drastic pay cut he would have to take, along with the benefits he would lose,  would make it a lateral move at best.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that Dwenger has bounced 4 of our best teams I've coached out of the playoffs in the last nine years proves that it would NOT be a lateral move football wise.  However, the point is moot.  I didn't just give lip service when I stepped down.  I'm going to be coaching my 4th grade son and his friends for the next few years!  In my eyes, that's not a lateral move either.  I just want to hang out with my kids while they still want to!!  As for Dwenger, I have a ton of respect for the Saints.  Better men than me have done both, but I'm happy to step back and be more involved with my family.  I'm young--plenty of time to coach on Fridays again if that's where the Lord leads me!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CoachR said:

The fact that Dwenger has bounced 4 of our best teams I've coached out of the playoffs in the last nine years proves that it would NOT be a lateral move football wise.  However, the point is moot.  I didn't just give lip service when I stepped down.  I'm going to be coaching my 4th grade son and his friends for the next few years!  In my eyes, that's not a lateral move either.  I just want to hang out with my kids while they still want to!!  As for Dwenger, I have a ton of respect for the Saints.  Better men than me have done both, but I'm happy to step back and be more involved with my family.  I'm young--plenty of time to coach on Fridays again if that's where the Lord leads me!

This is awesome, someone meaning what they say!  I've coached my son from K-5th grade thus far, only this year has he started to not want to hang out quite as much, but it's only beginning to show.  Soak it up while you can and best of luck moving forward!

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2017 at 9:28 AM, Irishman said:

While success is not comparable between the two, the drastic pay cut he would have to take, along with the benefits he would lose,  would make it a lateral move at best.

Pay cut, yes, benefits, yes (The Church, which is very wealthy, needs to look at this for everyone!).  But, not a lateral move as far as anything else.  My lousy opinion.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2017 at 12:42 PM, jakone said:

Moving from New Haven with one regional championship in it's history to Dwenger who has won 5 state, 15 semi states, and 20 regional championships is a lateral move?

Dwenger had 4 state titles not 5. 

1983, 1990, 1991 and 2015

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mebuck said:

Dwenger had 4 state titles not 5. 

1983, 1990, 1991 and 2015

Well then they are overrated.:17_v:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.