• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/29/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak  Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired
DrivenT

Coaching Turnover - Heading for an All Time High?

On 12/12/2017 at 11:03 AM, CoachK_75 said:

Realistically, as a head coach I can tell you that time commitment plays a big role in those decisions. For example, and this is without getting too personal, I have kids that do other stuff while I am in football season. So for me, I am going to miss dance classes, sports, and any other activity they may be involved in that doesn't fall on the weekend. I know this going in, and have accepted that. I think for a lot of guys, once they become head coaches, this plays a huge role in longevity. In addition, I think that the off-season demands play a huge role in longevity. This was a popular discussion among a lot of coaches at clinics this year. As a head coach, I do not feel particularly comfortable not being at every in-season and off-season activity. So for me personally, I am making sacrifices not only in-season but out of season as well. Just a few random thoughts. Obviously there are other factors, and each person's decision is unique to him. I can tell you that there are coaches that think the stipends are not where they need to be. I think everyone agrees with that, but we know that going in.

Also, I wanted to add that you need a very understanding spouse to do what you love doing. If my wife wasn't as supportive as she is, being a head coach would be a recipe for divorce/marital difficulties. I love doing what I am doing, and I hope to coach forever. None of it is possible without her carting my kids everywhere and being supportive.

Thank you for mentioning the spouses... we sacrifice time (especially when children are involved) for no stipend! Watching the state championship games, where everyone involved with the team gets a medal, including the bus drivers, I wondered where the coaches' wives medals were? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

This young man was and is total class!  Indiana HS FB should hope that he continues to give his guidance for years to come, though not on the sidelines anymore....   

I am glad that I had the chance to officiate his team, on their way to the State Championship a few years ago.

54fe03a81ea14.image.jpg

7 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Note that he learned under Saban.  

Learned what under Saban?  

2 hours ago, Night Hawk said:

Learned what under Saban?  

The same things that Jimbo Fisher and Kirby Smart learned.  How to become a championship level Head Coach.  Nick taught them well.

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, DrivenT said:

The same things that Jimbo Fisher and Kirby Smart learned.  How to become a championship level Head Coach.  Nick taught them well.

He coached with Saban when?

15 hours ago, RhinoMama73 said:

Thank you for mentioning the spouses... we sacrifice time (especially when children are involved) for no stipend! Watching the state championship games, where everyone involved with the team gets a medal, including the bus drivers, I wondered where the coaches' wives medals were? 

Rhino,

You are totally right on this. My wife comes to all of the games (Three kids 8, 4, 10 months), team meals, and most other team functions. We are a football family, and frankly, that's the only way to make it happen. My kids sing the fight song, and love being around the boys. You guys sacrifice so much to make our dreams possible. It is important to acknowledge it, because without you guys we couldn't do it. You guys deserve more than medals for sure!!

1 hour ago, Night Hawk said:

He coached with Saban when?

Off season clinics

:02_v:

39 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Off season clinics

:02_v:

So we are still slinging crap....endless entertainment

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Peru (IN): Per source, Elkhart Memorial (IN) defensive coordinator Romison Sain-Louis will be the new head coach.

footballscoop.com

According to fbscoop, you can check Peru HS off the list.

On 12/12/2017 at 12:57 PM, Veechy63 said:

Something DT insists runs rampant in an occupation he's not a part of. 

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

I feel the administration loses sight of what athletics are all about. Lets be real, in each class from year to year there is a handful of teams that have a legit shot at winning a state championship. I have seen some great coaches resign/get fired because of a win/lose record that are great mentors and leaders of young men. Pressure to win in a unrealistic situation drives a lot of coaches out of the profession. Granted no one wants to lose, but is that really the main focus of high school athletics?

This is a quote from Dabo Swinney that in my opinion is the sole purpose of athletics. 

"You can Win, Win, Win but if you're not equipping young men to be great husbands, and fathers you lose."

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, POTLUCK said:

I feel the administration loses sight of what athletics are all about. Lets be real, in each class from year to year there is a handful of teams that have a legit shot at winning a state championship. I have seen some great coaches resign/get fired because of a win/lose record that are great mentors and leaders of young men. Pressure to win in a unrealistic situation drives a lot of coaches out of the profession. Granted no one wants to lose, but is that really the main focus of high school athletics?

This is a quote from Dabo Swinney that in my opinion is the sole purpose of athletics. 

"You can Win, Win, Win but if you're not equipping young men to be great husbands, and fathers you lose."

Exactly how does extracurricular athletics equip young men to be great husbands and fathers?

• Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Exactly how does extracurricular athletics equip young men to be great husbands and fathers?

So, I guess we should all just ignore the life lessons that sports and other extra/co-curricular activities can teach young people.  

- leadership 

- responsibility

- accountability

- punctuality

None of these things (this is a wildly incomplete list btw) are applicable beyond the gridiron or any other activity which a young person may participate?

Edited by eschnur66
Typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Some kids never have a positive role model except through extracurricular activities. I know, teachers should be positive role models but some coaches can do what no teacher can do!

You want to debate argue it? go ahead. I've experienced this.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

For many it's the only father figure they see daily in their lives.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, POTLUCK said:

Sounds like something a high school coach would say.  I thought Sweeney's job was to win championships for his university, generate revenue for the school and prepare athletes for the NFL. Where is his contract does it say "prepare young men  to be future husbands" ?   No high school player goes to Clemson without having the possibility of a pro career in the back of his mind.  

32 minutes ago, eschnur66 said:

So, I guess we should all just ignore the life lessons that sports and other extra/co-curricular activities can teach young people.  

- leadership 

- responsibility

- accountability

- punctuality

None of these things (this is a wildly incomplete list btw) are applicable beyond the gridiron or any other activity which a young person may participate?

I have never said that.  In fact I have championed other activities/programs, other than extracurricular athletics,  that strive to teach exactly those items, and more.

28 minutes ago, Coach_G said:

For many it's the only father figure they see daily in their lives.  

Please better define the word "many".   Do you have a percentage?

30 minutes ago, Blue Racer said:

Some kids never have a positive role model except through extracurricular activities. I know, teachers should be positive role models but some coaches can do what no teacher can do!

You want to debate argue it? go ahead. I've experienced this.

I don't really want you to debate.  I want to know exactly how extracurricular athletics equip young men to be great husbands and fathers.

Because when I see reports of the violence perpetrated against women by male athletes, both at the college and professional levels,  it is clear this "equipping" has failed them.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

2 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I have never said that.  In fact I have championed other activities/programs, other than extracurricular athletics,  that strive to teach exactly those items, and more.

Care to explain what it is that you were insinuating?  And notice that I also included Co-Curricular activities.  There are a multitude of activities that help build the skills which can help make better, fathers, husbands, mothers, wives, men, women, employees, or even employers.   

7 minutes ago, eschnur66 said:

Care to explain what it is that you were insinuating?  And notice that I also included Co-Curricular activities.  There are a multitude of activities that help build the skills which can help make better, fathers, husbands, mothers, wives, men, women, employees, or even employers.   

I don't think I was insinuating anything.     And what is the difference between extracurricular and co-curricular activities?

• Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Please better define the word "many".   Do you have a percentage?

I don't really want you to debate.  I want to know exactly how extracurricular athletics equip young men to be great husbands and fathers.

Because when I see reports of the violence perpetrated against women by male athletes, both at the college and professional levels,  it is clear this "equipping" has failed them.

Name a profession without stain, please. 

Really finished now.