• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/29/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak  Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired
POTLUCK

Use of a Guardian for Helmet

Has anyone used the Guardian in their program or had players use them? If so what feedback can you provide on this product?

vegasf.fw2_.fw_-mo3yhnzles05bscv98y5wakc0wybxd4nahevwks94c.png

Delphi has used it the last several years in JV football games.  They do not use it for the varsity games.  I have been told they use it in practice.

Prior to our Wk 1 game against Jasper, I saw a TV clip previewing the game from a practice up there and noticed several players were wearing them.  It looked like about half from what I could see on the short clip.  We had 1 player whose parents bought one and he wore it all season.  We only had 1-2 players who went into the concussion protocol this season.  Last year we had several.  I think it will become much more prevalent.  

It is my understanding it cannot be used in games because the warning label on a helmet cannot be covered up.  I have no idea if that is true though.

21 minutes ago, tango said:

Prior to our Wk 1 game against Jasper, I saw a TV clip previewing the game from a practice up there and noticed several players were wearing them.  It looked like about half from what I could see on the short clip.  We had 1 player whose parents bought one and he wore it all season.  We only had 1-2 players who went into the concussion protocol this season.  Last year we had several.  I think it will become much more prevalent.  

It is my understanding it cannot be used in games because the warning label on a helmet cannot be covered up.  I have no idea if that is true though.

Niles high school in Michigan has been wearing them for 3-4 years or more in varsity games.  I think they had some Kate Upton fund raiser. Not sure about the label

1 minute ago, Huge football fan said:

Niles high school in Michigan has been wearing them for 3-4 years or more in varsity games.  I think they had some Kate Upton fund raiser. Not sure about the label

I stopped reading at Kate Upton...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

That is kind of what I was thinking, but a visor isn't standard issue either.  I would think the state could adopt a rule that protection is allowed.  But I'm way above my pay grade on those kinds of issues.  

Bloomington South used them in a lower level game I had at Columbus North, not sure if it was frosh or JV. Coach told me they wear them in practice and in all lower level games. He said they've had good results with them. He said they had used them for 2 or 3 years I don't recall. 

I was not the U or the R, I know nothing of the potential rule implications.

Edited by Impartial_Observer

I’m for improving safety in football but I have to wonder in our sue happy society, if an injury does occur we’aring something like this, what legal liability is present?  

I agree that safety is good for the game as well,  but Riddell reps have told me on more than one occasion that any injury to a player wearing anything on the helmet alleviates them from any law suit because the helmet was modified from its intended use.  That being said I know several teams that wear them in practice and believe that it is reducing the amount of heads hits through out the week thus reducing their total concussions.  I say wear them in practice and take your chances with that big hit that is more likely to happen in a game.

Any truth to the rumor their deluxe model's going to be called, The Muda?

• Haha 2

My wife and I use one of these at home....oak provincial headboard and all.  I find her to be more coherent and lucid.  Thanks Guardian!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

21 hours ago, Titan32 said:

My wife and I use one of these at home....oak provincial headboard and all.  I find her to be more coherent and lucid.  Thanks Guardian!

WOW!  TMI ... TMI!  :10_v:

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

big traps and old school neck machine should eliminate half of these concussions. 20 years ago you could spot a football player from a mile away because we all had big necks and traps.

• Upvote 1

On 12/22/2017 at 3:14 AM, bigjay said:

big traps and old school neck machine should eliminate half of these concussions. 20 years ago you could spot a football player from a mile away because we all had big necks and traps.

When I played ball back in the 70s, I recall that our warmups had six neck-focus exercises ... rolls to the left and right for general loosening and then forward neck rocks, back neck rocks, and left-side/right-side resistance against a teammates knee for strengthening.  Don't see that much attention paid to necks like back then except for the neck rolls for stretching.

• Upvote 2

I seriously believe if you don't have a big neck/traps then you are missing some natural force absorbing cushioning. kinda like shocks. I'm not saying concussions would never happen because this is a violent sport but they sure would be less then they are now with these skinny necked kids running around. Seems like this should be a type of prehab or insurance for safety. its silly that we spend endless hours teaching heads up football, we extremely limit hitting in practice, we change the actual rules of the game, we actually sissify the game until it's hardly recognizable at times, but we don't build our bodies to be able to take these hits.