• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/20/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired
Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

Bears Fire Fox - Harbaugh Up next?

Posted (edited)

Bears whack John Fox, 14-34 after 3 seasons.  100% totally expected move.

My top 3 candidates :

Jim Harbaugh

Ron Rivera

Pat Fitzgerald

Wild Card Candidate

Nick Saban

Might be watching Coach Khaki in last last game today leading the Maize and Blue.

I would like to see Jim Harbaugh take over the Bears.  I would expect significant immediate improvement, with the Bears in contention for an NFC Championship in 2 to 3 years.  The pendulum in the Bears - Packers rivalry will begin to swing back south with this new hire.  

Edited by DrivenT

GB 

Khaki boy with an epic choke job in progress at the Outback Bowl. You want Harbaugh? Be careful what you ask for.

Don't see why Mr. Rivera would leave his Carolina jobs, other than probably Cam Newton.   He seems basically un-coachable to me.

• Like 1

Great article by Dan Bernstein on what a mess the Bears are as an organization.

By Dan Bernstein —
670TheScore.com senior columnist

(670 The Score) It says something about a team when press conferences consistently raise more questions than they answer.

Nothing good, to be specific, and nothing that convinces wary observers that the Bears have started to find a way to keep from stepping all over themselves when it comes to messaging and managing both their public face and the ongoing perception problems that they have come to deserve.

The lead-up to the inevitable and long-leaked John Fox firing included assertions from the team that general manager Ryan Pace was the top football voice in the building, making the final call on the current coach and then in full command of the ensuing search and next hire. The Bears said so both publicly and privately and were all set to solidify Pace in his proper position, even using an official release Monday to note that “general manager Ryan Pace has informed John Fox he will not return.”

It was touted as a day on which Pace would be the lone speaker at the lectern, too, serving in his proper role as the organization’s highest-ranking football opinion.

And then the Bears went ahead and Bears-ed it all up.

First, president Ted Phillips showed up to announce a two-year contract extension for Pace, taking too much time to list what they see as his accomplishments after three miserable seasons and insisting that this was confirmation of their belief in his initially stated plans to rebuild. Instead of a simple, printed release distributed minutes before Pace spoke, Phillips reinserted himself into the story unnecessarily. And it didn’t stop there.

Pace kept describing himself as the final decision-maker, yet undermined that with constant talk of collaboration at Halas Hall. He and Phillips tried to have it both ways, holding to the fact that it’s Pace’s show now, but then painting a picture of a group effort that leaves us wondering how Pace can feel as empowered as he says he is.

Chairman George McCaskey had to weigh in too, presiding over his own side session with the media after Pace finished 30 minutes of not really answering questions. McCaskey performed his usual bit of pandering to the fans, all while describing his continued role alongside Phillips as self-described “support” as “sounding boards” for Pace’s search and interview efforts.

And just like that, an afternoon on which everything could finally have been streamlined properly turned into just the latest bizarre exercise in double-talk.

The team has been trying to position Phillips increasingly as a Crane Kenney-type president, involved in football matters only as they relate to large-scale budgeting and multi-year economic concerns. You could hear it in all the times he, Pace and McCaskey reminded us of Pace’s authority on the day his position was further solidified.  But actions and presence speak as much as so many words.

It was supposed to have been a day for and about Pace, given new and full investment by his bosses at a critical time for the organization. But by choosing to involve themselves when there was no need, Phillips and McCaskey only added ambiguity for no good reason, eroding so much of the progress they had made in empowering the general manager they claim to be behind like never before.

The best thing they can do for Pace and the Bears is get off the stage and get out of his darn way.

Never been a fan of the snarky Bernstein.  Didn't care much for his listeners either.  They belong together.  :02_v:

Concur DT on Bernstein

Dave Toub with a good OC looks the part for me

McDaniels is scary because is it scheme or is it Brady?   I tend to Brady......and Pats Culture 

big fan of Pat Schumer:  Won games in Cleveland and what he did with Vikings with all those injuries and X/O to their strengths gives me great confidence in him as HC

No go on Harbaugh, cannot say NO enough  

8 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Concur DT on Bernstein

Dave Toub with a good OC looks the part for me

McDaniels is scary because is it scheme or is it Brady?   I tend to Brady......and Pats Culture 

big fan of Pat Schumer:  Won games in Cleveland and what he did with Vikings with all those injuries and X/O to their strengths gives me great confidence in him as HC

No go on Harbaugh, cannot say NO enough  

Thought you were a Vic Fangio Guy?

not long term:   I wanted to see what he could do last few weeks of this year, but I do not want a defensive minded HC again.......  Not with the need to improve and grow our QB.  

ie:  LA Rams, hired 31 year old McVay :  See GOFF year 2 

ie: Doug Pederson Eagles (OC/former QB, offensive minded) See Wentz Year 2  

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

not long term:   I wanted to see what he could do last few weeks of this year, but I do not want a defensive minded HC again.......  Not with the need to improve and grow our QB.  

ie:  LA Rams, hired 31 year old McVay :  See GOFF year 2 

ie: Doug Pederson Eagles (OC/former QB, offensive minded) See Wentz Year 2  

Would they try to bring Adam Gase back from Miami?  He is exactly what you have described above and they let him get away.  

Doubtful, especially with Loggins already on Dolphins staff,   I think Miami will ride with Gase thru his next QB he snags in this year draft 

Posted (edited)

I think the Bears need to make a high profile hire with this next coaching move.  The Cubs and Hawks have taken over the city and the Bears have been relegated in terms of professional sporting status in Chicago. 

A Dick Jauron, Lovie Smith,  Marc Trestman, John Fox hire is not what the fanbase is looking for.

I hope they step out of their comfort zone and go big with this opportunity.

Pat Fitzgerald would be a huge hire for the Bears and would completely energize the fans.  

http://sportsmockery.com/2017/11/next-bears-head-coach-could-be-right-in-their-backyard/

Edited by DrivenT

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with giving Trubiski a HC with no NFL experience. I would prefer Nagy from Kansas City or the QB coach from Philly. Nagy would be my #1. He was supposedly really high on Trubiski last year, KC has been undefeated since he started calling plays, and Andy Reid''s coaching tree has been fairly sucessful. Nagy is supposedly a highly regarded offensive mind by those familiar with the Andy Reid lineage. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Pace had a complete wildcard in his pocket that nobody is mentioning. Afterall, he kept his intention to move up and take Trubiski a secret from nearly everyone at Halas Hall.

How much did NAGY have in input only given Kareem Hunt the ball 11 times in a playoff game??   

More i have seen on QB Coach Deflippo more I liking him.   Still think Schumer is the best of the lot we have seen.   

Nagy gets the nod.    Another coach from the  Reid coaching tree.    Fits what a lot of the Bears were looking for:  Young, QB minded coach, from the article I read in Sun Times, looks like he was very fond of Trubisky last year draft, so that is a plus.   I do like how they use motions and some good Shotgun run plays which statistically speaking, Howard has good stats from that formation last year.   I can see him using Cohen and Howard at same time a lot next year.  

Also early reports looks like Fangio to Green Bay, which is a huge get for Packers......

Such a Bears move..your team just blew a 21-3 halftime lead and you gave the NFL's leading rusher the ball only 11 times? You're hired!

Hopefully Andy Reid was more involved with play calling duties Saturday; I did see several shots of him talking on the headset with his oversized call sheet out--if not calling the play directly, maybe some highly influenced suggestions.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I believe I heard that Reid called the plays in playoffs according to reports out of Chicago.    I saw the same thing, sure did look like Andy took reigns even though Nagy went 5-0

As always I am an ultra optimist, so I will get behind Nagy and see where it goes.   

Posted (edited)

LOL.

SAD!

Best they can do?

Pace is now linked to a QB that he drafted that started all of 13 games in college, yet passing on DeShaun Watson.....and has hired a new hfb coach that has very minimal (maybe 4 games) play calling experience?

Edited by Coach Ellenwood

For a guy who doesn't care about the NFL you sure do care enough to comment 

Unfortunately, I missed Chiefs game. I heard the play calling in the 2nd half was atrocius. I'm hoping Reid did take over playcalling in this one. 

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

For a guy who doesn't care about the NFL you sure do care enough to comment 

Yep. 

Behind paysite at Atlantic.   Lots of positive news coming from the Nagy hire.  

https://theathletic.com/206862/2018/01/09/middlekauff-on-matt-nagy-hire-the-bears-just-got-a-stud/

I’ve already witnessed this kind of connection with Shanahan and Jimmy Garoppolo. We also saw it this year with the Rams and Sean McVay. Nagy is the same way. You either get quarterbacks or you don’t, and Nagy does. To be clear, there is not a more important skill in the NFL than relating to quarterbacks. If you don’t get quarterbacks, you really have no chance.

I saw it first-hand the last several years when the Chiefs came to Oakland. Nagy's relationship with Alex Smith was very strong. They leaned on each other, warmed up together before games and were in constant communication leading up to kickoff. Smith loved him, as most quarterbacks who have been around him do.

So yes, Mitch Trubisky is in very good hands. I liked Trubisky a lot coming out and believe he has all the physical tools to be a top-10 quarterback. Nagy would not have accepted this job if he didn’t believe in him. They are now tied at the hip. So, for him to say yes to the job, he is clearly a believer in No. 10.

What I most like about this is it seems that management has gotten with the modern day NFL and have allowed Pace's plan to take fruit.  What kind of fruit will it bear? That remains to be seen, but at least they look to have a plan that has been put into place and are executing the plan together with GM/Coach/QB which seems to be the way modern day NFL is being structured.   

It will be scary when a team like Jags get a QB, right now they are Bears from 2006 2.0   

Mark Helfrich as OC.  Will the Bears be running a play every 1.5 seconds?

Hope it is ok for me to comment on this.

• Upvote 1

Excited to see that news of Helfrich, but even more excited for OL coach coming back in Hiestand which is a HUGE loss for the Domer fans out there!!!    

DE:  comment all you want, but I am pretty passionate about my beloved Bears and will defend them from negative comments from someone who openly says they do not care or watch up throws arrows towards my man Mitch and Pace.   :02_v: