• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/22/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller  Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Fairfield:  Bob Miller  East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing 
Sign in to follow this  
bobref

Alabama vs. Georgia - Who Ya' Got?

The lineup for the national championship game is set, and all SEC showdown. I'll take Alabama, for two reasons:

1. Georgia's running game is a beast. But, I won't believe anyone can beat Alabama with a ground-based attack until I see it. Which leads me to:
  2. Georgia's true freshman QB has been terrific all year. But if Georgia can't get traction in their run game, they are going to have to ask him to win it for them. I have a hard time thinking a freshman QB is going to beat Alabama in the biggest game of the year, regardless of how well he's played to date.

Posted (edited)

Agree on Alabama

I think Georgia will be emotionally spent after the Oklahoma 2 OT thriller.  Great game

Might be a Tide blowout.

Two very deserving teams.  Atlanta will be on fire for the game.  The concentration of talent at Bama, Georgia and Clemson is insane.  They almost make Ohio State look like a JV team.  Watching those two games might give Urban Meyer nightmares and chase Jim Harbaugh back to the friendlier confines of the NFL.  

Edited by DrivenT
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I had great faith in Bama rolling into the Clemson game. Give Saban a month to prepare and he could stop global warming. The guy is the best in the business, ever.

If I am Georgia, I am glad I get to play  the Tide when they have  just a week (and somewhat shortened at that as Saban complained about after Monday's game) to prepare and a banged up roster. And I am glad the game is in Atlanta. With a great run game and a good defense, I don't think you can completely count out the Bulldogs. 

That said Alabama has the more experienced coach and the more experienced quarterback. 

Eventually a Saban disciple has to beat the boss, I am just not sure this is the year. 

I want to be bold and pick UGA...but if I had to bet my life savings (and that's not much) give me Alabama. 

Edited by coachfields

Bama. I don't see a frosh QB who isn't a threat to run the ball beating Saban and Co.

That said, I freaking love Roquan Smith and Georgia's running back tandem and think they will keep it interesting.

It pains me to say, but it will be the Bama Death Star in a rout.

Bama!  Saban is the man and for what they lack in offense this year they more than make up for in defense.

18 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Two very deserving teams.  Atlanta will be on fire for the game.  The concentration of talent at Bama, Georgia and Clemson is insane.  They almost make Ohio State look like a JV team.  Watching those two games might give Urban Meyer nightmares and chase Jim Harbaugh back to the friendlier confines of the NFL.  

100% right.  I'm an OSU fan and I didn't believe the Bucks were a top 4 team after the Big10 game in Indy.  After watching those two games, there is zero chance OSU was a top 4 team.  They might be 5 but it's a very distant 5.  Urban ain't scared of those guys though and the Bucks will be back in it soon.  Harbaugh should be worried because they're not close to OSU, Penn St or MSU let alone the top 4.

Both semi-final games extremely entertaining from opposite ends of the spectrum.  

*Mythical National Championship

Heart says Georgia. Mind says Bama. It's not good for a Pro Style offense to face this Alabama defense that's now healthy at LB. I hope Saban rides out into the NFL. The Albama story line is getting a little tiresome for me. I imagine this game will have awful ratings.

The biggest difference I see between the elite Big Ten teams (OSU/PSU/UM) and the playoff teams (Clem/OU/GA/AL) is that the BT elite look like they have maybe 5 or 6 NFL caliber players on the field at any given time.

The playoff teams look like they are stocked with NFL talent at every position on the field.  And 2 deep at some positions.  

Texas and California appear to be falling further behind the southeast in terms of fertile recruiting grounds.  FL/GA/SC/AL.  It doesn't get any better than that area for talent.

2 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Heart says Georgia. Mind says Bama. It's not good for a Pro Style offense to face this Alabama defense that's now healthy at LB. I hope Saban rides out into the NFL. The Albama story line is getting a little tiresome for me. I imagine this game will have awful ratings.

New York Giants or Chicago Bears.

Which one do you pick if you are Nick Saban?

in this mythical scenario, by roster only, should be Bears.   

Giants, not even close. Mara Family >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> McCaskey Family. And then add in the Bears President, Ted Phillips, knows absolutely nothing about football, hard pass. 

• Thanks 1

Giants are a real mess right now.  Bears have promising young roster.  Less competition in Chicago and no NY press to deal with.

I think Chicago looks like the more attractive option, should he consider.

Given history, a Super Bowl win in Chicago is a bigger deal than in NY.  

17 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Dabo will most likely go back to Bama when Sabans tenure is over so I am not sure the storyline changes too much. 

• Upvote 1

Saban isn't going to leave Bama. Especially for a job like the Giants, where you have no QB and a diva wide receiver to deal with, or a job with the Bears where you have very little talent and play in what is becoming an extremely tough division in the league once Aaron Rodgers returns next season. I would pick the Bears over the Giants, but I don't see a 66 year old Saban leaving a place where he is more or less running the campus, if not the entire state and conference, and is about to tie/pass Bear Bryant in number of rings.  

And I agree with coachfields, if Saban does leave any time soon Dabo will come in and have the same level of success. Bama isn't going anywhere

I'm boycotting viewership until they put the game on a weekend or start it earlier....of course if we were on central time like the lord intended none of this would be an issue.

/end grandpa rant/

:36_v:

Got a BOMBER ALUM involved in this game!!!     Excited for him 

3 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Got a BOMBER ALUM involved in this game!!!     Excited for him 

Very excited. Two Indy guys working tonight! The other is a Michigan transplant though so we only can partially claim him. Both of these guys have given a lot back to Indiana high school officials. We are very fortunate to have 5 active and 1 retired NFL official in Indiana (1 in Fort Wayne and the rest in Indy metro) plus 5 B1G officials (I think I counted them right), 1 MAC official, and several MVFC officials. Most of them worked high school games in Indiana earlier in their careers. You all probably complained about them on this site.

• Upvote 1

just saw an amazing stat:   If Bama wins tonight, every single player Saban has recruited since 1999 has won a National Championship.    

MERCY

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

just saw an amazing stat:   If Bama wins tonight, every single player Saban has recruited since 1999 has won a National Championship.    

MERCY

That's an unbelievable stat. You almost have to feel sorry for LSU fans. No reaoson he couldn't have done the same in Baton Rouge had he never left for Miami. Here's a random tidbit: anyone notice former Valpo HS and Penn State kicker Sam Ficken booting FG's for the Rams on Saturday night? They said during the game he had just passed his Series 7 when the Rams called a few weeks ago and asked if he would tryout with a dozen other kickers. Nice little way to supplement your income as a broker.

• Upvote 1