• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/22/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller  Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  Tell City:  Josh Teague  Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly  Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired   
Sign in to follow this  
jakone

EACS schools to get field turf

36 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

No

I'm disappointed Muda, I thought we were having an honest conversation.  But it can't continue with statements made like this.  Any reasonable person could list 1/2 dozen functions beyond EXC's a school could use that space for.  Your refusal because of your need to live in a world of black/white in regards to spending, is requiring you to be less than truthful.  If your were employed by the district to find suitable uses for the field with dead time, you'd find plenty.  In the end it just weakens your other points of view.  

Edited by Coach_G
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Coach_G said:

I'm disappointed Muda, I thought we were having an honest conversation.  But it can't continue with statements made like this.  Any reasonable person could list 1/2 dozen functions beyond EXC's a school could use that space for.  Your refusal because of your need to live in a world of black/white in regards to spending, is requiring you to be less than truthful.  If your were employed by the district to find suitable uses for the field with dead time, you'd find plenty.  In the end it just weakens your other points of view.  

I guess I misunderstood your question.  I guess I could see that space being used for additional instructional classroom space, if enrollment growth warranted it.

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

As stated before, whoever oversees band competitions, requires turf to be installed to host competitions. The amount of use that Physical Education classes get out of it goes up tremendously. Add to it the number of community events and youth activities that will be able to use the fields. You ignored the fact that it will actually be a savings to the district over the life of the turf and that by doing all of them at once, will provide even more of a savings to the district, as one of the fields is basically free.

We at KV host an annual marching band competition (which is AWESOME btw.  I live close enough, open the windows, and free, beautiful music concert)and the football field is grass.  I believe Rennsy hosts some marching band invite too, and their field is grass.

Just now, Coach Ellenwood said:

We at KV host an annual marching band competition (which is AWESOME btw.  I live close enough, open the windows, and free, beautiful music concert)and the football field is grass.  I believe Rennsy hosts some marching band invite too, and their field is grass.

But to qualify for ISSSMA, or whatever the association is, it has to be on turf. So, like scrimmages in the Summer, there could be events outside of the sanctioned events.

• Thanks 1

Just now, football dog said:

I heard New Haven was last to get turf in EACS. Why are they last?

We host both track conference and sectionals.

4 minutes ago, Irishman said:

We host both track conference and sectionals.

Why do you host it this year? Past it on to someone else!

31 minutes ago, football dog said:

Why do you host it this year? Past it on to someone else!

They actually earn a decent amount of money, and I am not sure other tracks have the required 8 lanes in the conference. As far as sectionals though; my thinking is once you give it up, it is hard to get it back.

1 hour ago, football dog said:

I heard New Haven was last to get turf in EACS. Why are they last?

The timeline I read said all EAC schools will have it before the Football games commence this coming fall.  Does it matter who's first or last?  None of the EAC schools have turf at this point in time.  And in all honesty, if you look at the EAC schools, New Haven has always had the "Taj Mahal" of stadiums/stands compared to the other schools.

54 minutes ago, Dabears said:

The timeline I read said all EAC schools will have it before the Football games commence this coming fall.  Does it matter who's first or last?  None of the EAC schools have turf at this point in time.  And in all honesty, if you look at the EAC schools, New Haven has always had the "Taj Mahal" of stadiums/stands compared to the other schools.

I bet they have more tax money coming from their community than the other 3 schools together!

24 minutes ago, football dog said:

I bet they have more tax money coming from their community than the other 3 schools together!

I think you would lose that bet.  Why should/would it matter if more tax money comes from the New Haven boundaries?  I expect the goal would be to make all of the schools equal in all respects.

1 hour ago, football dog said:

I have been told the Harding attendance area is the highest due to the tax rate of apartment complexes, but that is just rumor mill info.

Here's a few random takes on the issue. I'm not a football coach, so I have an unbiased point of view:
1. If a school corporation can afford it, without overlooking necessary academic funding issues, go for it.
2. I do not think, however, that money should be spent for a field turf for football (and various other activities) that should be used for the original purpose of schools - that of educating students. I have been a varsity coach and a varsity official in other sports, as well as a classroom teacher for 15 years. I have seen the good athletics can do. But, as I said, this should only be done if there is enough money and there are no greater needs. (If some "sugar daddy", likely at a private school, wants to get out the checkbook and pay for it then that's great.)
3. I am mostly against spending public money for them because the warranty is only for eight years, and at a cost of $1 million that's $125K a year. I don't know how much it costs to manually care for a field per year, but I'd be surprised if it's that much. Maybe it is. Anybody know?
4. I was at a girls' soccer sectional championship this year, at a school with field turf, and a horrendous rainstorm hit for over an hour. Had to be several inches of rain. When the rain stopped, they played. It was pretty amazing. No effect on the match at all. The field definitely saved the match.

I hope your school has field turf, and if not I hope you can afford it soon. But if you don't have it or don't get it, you'll be just fine.