• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/19/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired North Newton Jeff Bean Scott Rouch Promoted Madison Grant:  Kyle Booher Brady Turner Promoted 
Sign in to follow this  
falconsfbref

Rules Ideas

Question

I know its too late to submit, and the new NF rules should be out next month....but what are some ideas for new HS rules that should be added:  

Here are a couple of mine....

1.  Eliminate the coaches box.  No one can be in the 3 yard belt at any time.  This is for safety for all....and it just eliminates some sideline issues. NFL/NCAA have this rule

2.  Follow the NCAA/NFL rule of IF the runner goes out of bounds, wind the clock when ball is set.  If pass is incomplete, the clock stays stopped.  Of course, inside 4 or 2 min we could stop clock.  

3.  Go back to original rules for facemask/helmet opening fouls...15 yards.....safety issue and eliminates a judgement issue (NFL only has 15)

4.  Allow the QB to ground the ball "outside the tackle box".  Everyone thinks this is a rule already, NFL/NCAA allow it.......its time......keep same constraints: pass has to get to scrimmage.

Just a couple of thoughts......

31 answers to this question

I talk to coaches before the game. I have one wing who is pretty quick with a sideline warning, he has very few problems. My other wing for whatever reason doesn't like to use his freebie and complains constantly about his sideline. I tell coaches we can work with you, but when the ball's in play, no one can be in the white. When I worked the chains, I never had much problem with it. I was always up front about what my expectations were and most guys respected that. 

3 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I talk to coaches before the game. I have one wing who is pretty quick with a sideline warning, he has very few problems. My other wing for whatever reason doesn't like to use his freebie and complains constantly about his sideline. I tell coaches we can work with you, but when the ball's in play, no one can be in the white. When I worked the chains, I never had much problem with it. I was always up front about what my expectations were and most guys respected that. 

Exactly my point good and bad.  Coaches and players will adjust and do what you let them.  Your one that is quick with the warning has very few issues because they deal with it early.  The other doesn't and has issues, you perfectly sum up the solution, jsut enforce it and it will not typically be an issue.  My question is this, if some are not enforcing it when the rule is 3, why would you think they magically start enforcing it if the rule was no one in there?  

The bad part is just what I have said all along, a lack of consistency, if properly enforced early and often in the year, it will become a non issue

OK - switching gears from the sideline debate. 

I brought this up in another thread that was on the regular forum, but it didn't gain much traction nor generate any response from any officials, so I'll try again on this thread. 

Illegal men downfield?? With the advent of all these RPO teams and having built-in pass plays packaged with runs ...why isn't ineligible man downfield called more often? Seriously, I don't understand why officials seem to refuse to call this rule? Most of these RPO plays are packaged with a "zone-blocking" scheme in which the lineman are taking more "lateral" steps than gaining any ground...I get that. But when the uncovered lineman...say the Center..is trying to reach our ILB and is standing right next to the middle official when a pass is thrown?? I don't get it?? Does that play happen to fast that the official just doesn't want to throw his flag?? I could show examples of numerous plays from our past season...to me it is sort of becoming an epidemic that if not handled will change the way the game is played, turning it into a sort of playground mess. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, jets said:

OK - switching gears from the sideline debate. 

I brought this up in another thread that was on the regular forum, but it didn't gain much traction nor generate any response from any officials, so I'll try again on this thread. 

Illegal men downfield?? With the advent of all these RPO teams and having built-in pass plays packaged with runs ...why isn't ineligible man downfield called more often? Seriously, I don't understand why officials seem to refuse to call this rule? Most of these RPO plays are packaged with a "zone-blocking" scheme in which the lineman are taking more "lateral" steps than gaining any ground...I get that. But when the uncovered lineman...say the Center..is trying to reach our ILB and is standing right next to the middle official when a pass is thrown?? I don't get it?? Does that play happen to fast that the official just doesn't want to throw his flag?? I could show examples of numerous plays from our past season...to me it is sort of becoming an epidemic that if not handled will change the way the game is played, turning it into a sort of playground mess. 

When my keys begin to pass block, as the Umpire I move towards the line of scrimmage.  Generally I am at the LOS when the pass is released so if a lineman is standing right next to me there is no foul.  

Jets, if you want to send me some plays to look at I'll try to give you some explanation. 

Edited by fbofficial

Agree with fbofficial. Although on RPO plays the linemen usually don't pass set so you don't usually have a pass read. The tricky part of this is the foul occurs when the pass is RELEASED. The U is not looking directly at the QB when the pass is thrown and may be watching a different blocker who is engaged legally. He has to realize the pass has been released and immediately determine where the linemen were when the pass was released. It's somewhat tricky to catch that. I've been burned a couple time flagging it thinking the lineman was at least 3-4 yards downfield (they get 2 yards before it's a foul). When I saw the video I realized the lineman was still within the 2 yards when the ball was released but got to the 3-4 yard range pretty quickly and I was fooled. That's why I am even more careful now I don't pull on that too quickly. I key on the linemen and when I see they have gone more than 2 yards I take a quick peak at the QB. If the ball is already gone I don't flag it. If he throws it after that then I have a foul. Using that mechanic I've found I've been right almost every time. The good news is I haven't thrown a flag when it wasn't a foul. There have been a couple where I probably could have flagged it, but it would have been really close.

In summary, it's somewhat tricky to get for an excellent official. I expect you see a lot of inconsistency both ways with average officials. I do know that most of the time when I hear coaches complain about not having a flag, video shows the lineman was fine when the pass left the QB's hand. I would just work with the officials and understand how the play is officiated. I hope that helps.

46 minutes ago, BisonUmpire said:

Agree with fbofficial. Although on RPO plays the linemen usually don't pass set so you don't usually have a pass read. The tricky part of this is the foul occurs when the pass is RELEASED. The U is not looking directly at the QB when the pass is thrown and may be watching a different blocker who is engaged legally. He has to realize the pass has been released and immediately determine where the linemen were when the pass was released. It's somewhat tricky to catch that. I've been burned a couple time flagging it thinking the lineman was at least 3-4 yards downfield (they get 2 yards before it's a foul). When I saw the video I realized the lineman was still within the 2 yards when the ball was released but got to the 3-4 yard range pretty quickly and I was fooled. That's why I am even more careful now I don't pull on that too quickly. I key on the linemen and when I see they have gone more than 2 yards I take a quick peak at the QB. If the ball is already gone I don't flag it. If he throws it after that then I have a foul. Using that mechanic I've found I've been right almost every time. The good news is I haven't thrown a flag when it wasn't a foul. There have been a couple where I probably could have flagged it, but it would have been really close.

In summary, it's somewhat tricky to get for an excellent official. I expect you see a lot of inconsistency both ways with average officials. I do know that most of the time when I hear coaches complain about not having a flag, video shows the lineman was fine when the pass left the QB's hand. I would just work with the officials and understand how the play is officiated. I hope that helps.

Also, depending on which side QB is on, or pass is going, maybe get some help from wing official.  I know if wing official is on line and play is on opposite side, they can possibly help out and see where the lineman is when pass is thrown.  

• Upvote 2