• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/24/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street Knightstown:  Kevin Miller  Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Kokomo:  Brett Colby  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  
Sign in to follow this  
Grover

Kirschner Resigns from BD

6 hours ago, raiderx2 said:

TC don't let facts get in the way of a man babbling.

Carmel is basically the IMG affiliate in Indianapolis.  If you want to count them as bigger than BD, have at it.  If Carmel was running their city the right way, they would have split that monster into 2 or 3 schools years ago.  

But they are in the blue ring and championship banner business.  Can't upset that apple cart

:02_v:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Carmel is basically the IMG affiliate in Indianapolis.  If you want to count them as bigger than BD, have at it.  If Carmel was running their city the right way, they would have split that monster into 2 or 3 schools years ago.  

But they are in the blue ring and championship banner business.  Can't upset that apple cart

Why would you?

21 minutes ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

Why would you?

Im sure they have their reasons for not breaking it up.  I prefer the Fishers / HSE model.  It puts kids first, not trophys.  

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Gonzoron said:

He was first at Chatard, then Carmel, then BD.

Chatard, Carmel, Purdue, Army then Ben Davis.

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

Im sure they have their reasons for not breaking it up.  I prefer the Fishers / HSE model.  It puts kids first, not trophys.  

But without trophies you run the risk of being labeled good instead of great. 

In all seriousness those mega schools surely have a fair number of students that are capable of playing at the varsity level that miss out on the experience just because there is a limited number of playing time. 

Do any States or sports allow for a school to have multiple varsity teams? What would be the benefit or consequences of doing this? 

Pros: more kids can compete for a school and be involved with extracurricular activities

Cons: logistics, potential costs, cuts back roster depth to the first team

I am not saying it’s feasible or a good idea. Just interested me thinking about the school split. 

In my view, this is a parent issue.

Parents choose to live in school districts/corporations like Carmel, Ben Davis,  Penn, Warren, North Central, Lake Central, etc.  Mega schools with limited varsity slots in all sports.  The IHSAA has done all it can possibly do to level the playing field.  The next cutdown would be a 16 school 'Mega Class," and you would still have some schools on the bottom end of the enrollment count griping about numbers.  

I have family in the Crown Point school district, and that is getting borderline too large.  They sometimes regret moving out of Winfield and sending their kids off to Wheeler High School.  

Every family makes choices.  Sometimes they work out.  Sometimes not

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

In my view, this is a parent issue.

Parents choose to live in school districts/corporations like Carmel, Ben Davis,  Penn, Warren, North Central, Lake Central, etc.  Mega schools with limited varsity slots in all sports.  The IHSAA has done all it can possibly do to level the playing field.  The next cutdown would be a 16 school 'Mega Class," and you would still have some schools on the bottom end of the enrollment count griping about numbers.  

I have family in the Crown Point school district, and that is getting borderline too large.  They sometimes regret moving out of Winfield and sending their kids off to Wheeler High School.  

Every family makes choices.  Sometimes they work out.  Sometimes not

You really don't have a clue about Indianapolis schools do you?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Or they don't manage their school district as a whole with regards to extra curricular activities at all.  They manage their district based off what they feel is the most economic way to educated 16,000 students.  Multiple high schools for a relatively small geographic area (50 sq/mi) is more expensive.  They get the extra added benefit of the bigger athlete pool.  The decision to stick with one high school was made long, long ago, like before they were the state swimming or cross country champions.  At that time, with the board and city administration, it was old cronyism, not championship rings or banners that influenced it.  

5 hours ago, DrivenT said:

I think Carmel is doing just fine...in the academics world, they're far ahead of Fishers/HSE.  They're rated one of the best schools to receive an education in the country and the city is ranked #1 place in America to live.  

1 hour ago, bowwowindy1 said:

Or they don't manage their school district as a whole with regards to extra curricular activities at all.  They manage their district based off what they feel is the most economic way to educated 16,000 students.  Multiple high schools for a relatively small geographic area (50 sq/mi) is more expensive.  They get the extra added benefit of the bigger athlete pool.  The decision to stick with one high school was made long, long ago, like before they were the state swimming or cross country champions.  At that time, with the board and city administration, it was old cronyism, not championship rings or banners that influenced it.  

Carmel is over 5000 enrollment today.  Wonder what it was 20 years ago?

19 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Carmel is over 5000 enrollment today.  Wonder what it was 20 years ago?

Not sure...less and likely equal ratio to the town.  It's tripled in population, but no one in city planning for Carmel is surprised.  In the 20 years prior to that it also tripled.  People now recognize the advantage for athletics but that had zero bearing on the long term planning to keep it all under one roof.

I moved to Carmel in 1993 which was a couple years after the decision was made to stick with one high school. The school district owned property at 116th Street and Spring Mill Road which could have been used to build a second high school but obviously that was never done. That property was eventually sold and is now occupied primarily by retail plus a Mormon Temple. In 1993 CHS was grades 10-12 only. Not sure of the enrollment at that time but I am guessing about 750 per class. I do know that the enrollment in 2009 was 4,170 so it has increased by close to 900 over the last 8 years.

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2018 at 6:54 PM, Gonzoron said:

You really don't have a clue about Indianapolis schools do you?

Never a more true statement.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm not from the area, but it seems to me like having a high school that big means limited opportunities for participation in sports and activities by its students.  Still only 5 on the basketball court at a time, 11 on the football field, etc., which I understand is economically efficient but I'm not sure its good for kids.   Can someone offer some insight or their opinion on how this might play on school culture?  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Wedgebuster said:

I'm not from the area, but it seems to me like having a high school that big means limited opportunities for participation in sports and activities by its students.  Still only 5 on the basketball court at a time, 11 on the football field, etc., which I understand is economically efficient but I'm not sure its good for kids.   Can someone offer some insight or their opinion on how this might play on school culture?  

Sure. When you have a larger high school, you have MANY more opportunities. Sure, not in sports per se, but in a school like Ben Davis, you have a full tv station, radio station, a STEM career center that you don't have to leave the building for, teachers who get paid better than small districts, larger special needs departments (and better), and I'll be quite honest - schools that size, most kids have someone like them and can find a group of friends. 

Like anything, there are limits to the benefits. Once you get into large school corporations - 3+ high schools, etc. - I'm sure the benefits become less manageable.

Edited by butlerguy03

I take my card and I stand in line
To make a buck I work overtime
Dear Sir letters keep coming in the mail

I work my back till it's racked with pain
The boss can't even recall my name
I show up late and I'm docked
It never fails

I feel like just another
Spoke in a great big wheel
Like a tiny blade of grass
In a great big field

To workers I'm just another drone
To Ma Bell I'm just another phone
I'm just another statistic on a sheet

To teachers I'm just another child
To IRS I'm another file
I'm just another consensus on the street

Gonna cruise out of this city
Head down to the sea
Gonna shout out at the ocean
Hey it's me

And I feel like a number
Feel like a number
Feel like a stranger
A stranger in this land
I feel like a number
I'm not a number
I'm not a number
Dammit I'm a man
I said I'm a man

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

It never fails

I feel like just another
In a great big field

To IRS I'm another file

Head down to the sea
Hey it's me

And I feel like a number
Feel like a number
Feel like a stranger
A stranger in this land
I feel like a number
I'm not a number
I'm not a number
Dammit I'm a man
I said I'm a man

Very true. Moving to or relocating from is always an option. 

4 hours ago, Muda69 said:

It never fails

I feel like just another
In a great big field

To IRS I'm another file

Head down to the sea
Hey it's me

And I feel like a number
Feel like a number
Feel like a stranger
A stranger in this land
I feel like a number
I'm not a number
I'm not a number
Dammit I'm a man
I said I'm a man

You get out of it what you put in.  Wanna sit in the back of the class and be a number, that's what you'll be.  Big school or small school it can be the same.

• Upvote 2

Recently, Ben Davis implemented an "Impact" period where each student goes for 25 minutes daily. They loop with the same teacher for three years. BD also has award-winning programs outside of athletics. Performing arts offerings are second to none. Clubs are healthy. A STEM-certified career center is housed on site with about 40 career programs.  An effort is made to connect every kid with something at BD. 

As far as football goes, each kid works with an academic advisor through Play It Smart. The football program will have kids going to all different sorts of colleges. Some, like the valedictorian...who played on the offensive line...can do whatever he wants athletically or academically.

If you are a number at BD, it's likely because you want to be.

Edited by BDGiant93
  • Upvote 1

On 1/19/2018 at 4:11 PM, coachfields said:

Do any States or sports allow for a school to have multiple varsity teams? What would be the benefit or consequences of doing this? 

The NIAA probably would, if there was less apathy and more money. I know at Chaparral HS the football coach didn't make the JV show up to Varsity games, and it showed on the quality of play.