• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/23/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street Knightstown:  Kevin Miller  Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Kokomo:  Brett Colby  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones Elwood:  Joe Kwisz
Sign in to follow this  
Grover

Kirschner Resigns from BD

Anybody know why?

In The Star article he said he’s been presented with some new opportunities and felt it was time for a change. College assistant maybe?

1 hour ago, Peter Simon Veeder said:

In The Star article he said he’s been presented with some new opportunities and felt it was time for a change. College assistant maybe?

I figured College or IMG.

21 minutes ago, CGFan2017 said:

I figured College or IMG.

You think he would leave BD to go join Coach Wright's staff in Florida? 

24 minutes ago, warren05 said:

You think he would leave BD to go join Coach Wright's staff in Florida? 

I think it could be a possibility. Also wouldn't be shocked to see him in Bloomington.

Not a surprise at all--his wife retired from working and he's gained two grandkids, and he moved to the Pittsboro area all within the last two years.

From the outside, few realize the level of challenges that are involved leading the Ben Davis football program these  days==and, I don't mean just football.  Best of luck, Mike!!

• Upvote 1

The speculation that I added involved a coach who both already resigned his position and a school that has no head coach.  My bad.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

even so, we have always honored the process for each the Coach and the School.   

We are not in the rumor game or the breaking news game.   

Nothing concrete, but things have gotten more interesting by the day. We continue to wish him the best.

15 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Nothing concrete, but things have gotten more interesting by the day. We continue to wish him the best.

Do you have any idea if the hire is expected from inside the school or are they looking externally

Zero clue. You hear all sorts of rumors. I have no inside knowledge. This is the first time in a long time that BD has been in this position. 

I will say this, the names I've heard in rumors are all excellent football coaches.

Edited by BDGiant93

Not sure this is a very attractive job, unless the money is just over the top.

Given Ben Davis' size and resources, anything less than a state finals appearance every year is likely deemed a failure.  

Coaches by nature are builders.  There is nothing to build at BD.  The job is a maintenance position.  

Or a big stroke to the ego of whoever takes it on.

• Confused 1

"Not sure this is a very attractive job, unless the money is just over the top."

You really just need to stop.  Your foolishness is just over the top. 

• Upvote 2

Kirschner was a good coach, not a great one.  

Nonetheless, whoever follows him will be stepping into a position with impossibly high expectations.  

Central Indiana football is still strong, but not as deep as it was 10 years ago.  Unless they make it worth someone's while financially, Im not sure its worth all that.  

9 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Kirschner was a good coach, not a great one.  

Nonetheless, whoever follows him will be stepping into a position with impossibly high expectations.  

Central Indiana football is still strong, but not as deep as it was 10 years ago.  Unless they make it worth someone's while financially, Im not sure its worth all that.  

WHAT?

Have you ever seen him on a day in day out basis.  I had the pleasure many times while at team camps over the summers while i coached at Crown Point.  GREAT coach!

1 minute ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

WHAT?

Have you ever seen him on a day in day out basis.  I had the pleasure many times while at team camps over the summers while i coached at Crown Point.  GREAT coach!

He struggled for many years to get BD up to elite status, which is really where they should always be given the vast resources available

CG, Carmel and Warren Central forcibly took away the Giants status as Indiana's top program while it was under the direction of Tom Allen and Coach Kirschner.

Kirschner deserves credit for regaining elite status, but is also accountable for the down years.  That makes him "good," not "great" in my view.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

WHAT?

Goes back years. DT has never liked Mike. For him to say he was a "good coach" is, frankly, surprising. The best part about everything is that we all know who Mike is, and whatever you think of him, he's a great man who cares about kids. I happen to think he was a great coach.

• Upvote 2

Coach K coached me as a senior at Down and Dirty Camps, I worked with him at Down and Dirty Camps while in college, and I coached Middle School football under Coach K.  He is a great coach, but I think the most underrated side that people do not talk about is his ability to motivate.  Between him and Coach Scifres, I have not seen 2 coaches with the ability to motivate kids and young adults like they have done.  

Best of luck Coach......

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, DrivenT said:

He struggled for many years to get BD up to elite status, which is really where they should always be given the vast resources available

CG, Carmel and Warren Central forcibly took away the Giants status as Indiana's top program while it was under the direction of Tom Allen and Coach Kirschner.

Kirschner deserves credit for regaining elite status, but is also accountable for the down years.  That makes him "good," not "great" in my view.

You can be a great coach, however, regardless of your W-L record.

You can have all the resources in the world. You can have 200 kids in the program, but they need to know that someone is in their corner and will be there for them. That the coach is going to help you win games, but more importantly will help you get that diploma and get to college. That the coach will catch them when they inevitably fall. That someone...like the coach will take their call when they mess up. That the coach will support you because no one else will or will find people to put in your life to help you so that when you come back because you got a head coaching job at another Indiana school that he'll help you again.  That he cares enough about you and your family that he'll visit your sick parent in the hospital. That he will visit you when you're in intensive care. That he cares enough about you that he'll come to your college games even when he has games of his own to prepare for...and the list goes on.

That's a great coach to me, and Mike did all those things. Good coach...great coach...Great MAN. Great REPRESENTATIVE of Ben Davis. That's more important to me than a great .725 winning percentage in the toughest conference in Indiana and against one of the toughest schedules in Indiana.

• Upvote 3

Anyone else thinking that DT is doing this on purpose? So that we get to keep hearing all the great stories that go way beyond wins and losses and the game of football to lessons in life? I don’t know Mike very well. We were students in a Summer school class early in my teaching career, while he was still the head coach at Cascade. We had a blast working together. It was a team building class, and seeing the energy and determination he brought to it made the class that much better. 

• Upvote 2