• Announcements

    • Coach Nowlin

      HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/28/2017

      CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak  Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street
Sign in to follow this  
NRRaider2001

South Bend schools consider upgrading School Field

Recommended Posts

Per the SB Tribune Article found here

SOUTH BEND — South Bend Community School Corp. tonight could consider a $1.5 million upgrade to School Field that would include the installation of Field Turf as its playing surface.

As part of the improvement plan, each of the South Bend Community School Corp. high school football programs would be invited to use the stadium as its home field, according to corporation Athletic Director Seabe Gavin.

“It would bring the entire corporation together, bring the entire community together,” Gavin said. “Money is always going to be an obstacle, but let’s use our resources to find a way around those obstacles.”

 

The stadium dates as far back as the 1930s and sits just north of the St. Joseph River along Eddy Street. It is home field to the Adams and Washington high school football teams. Clay currently plays its home games at Clay Intermediate Center and Riley plays its home games at Jackson Intermediate Center.

“Every high school in the corporation would be invited to play there,” Gavin said of an upgraded School Field. “We’d put a giant SB at midfield.”

The cost of replacing the natural grass surface with artificial Field Turf is estimated at $900,000. The plan does not include replacing the turf of the adjacent soccer field. The corporation also plans to make improvements to School Field’s stadium lighting ($350,000) and substructure ($100,000).

According to an attachment to Thursday’s school board agenda, the design and construction costs are being kept separate until funding for the project is identified. The board is set to consider hiring architects and engineers for a variety of summer projects that includes the School Field work, according to district spokeswoman Sue Coney.

But is is unclear where the money will come from to pay for the School Field work, she said.

If approved, South Bend schools would join a handful of other corporations to make the switch to Field Turf in recent years.

Two area schools play on Field Turf. Father Bly Field opened in conjunction with the new private South Bend St. Joseph High School in 2012. Prior to that, St. Joe played many of its home games at School Field. Penn moved from natural grass in 2010 at a cost of $700,000. Of that, $250,000 was raised via private money. The project took just over three months from start to finish.

“It was one of the best decisions for our athletic programs, to be able to play regardless of weather,” said former Penn athletic director Ben Karasiak. “It was something our entire community could use. It was something our physical education classes could use.

“It worked out well for everything that we wanted to do. It was big.”

 

At School City of Mishawaka, it was a different story.

Coming off a runner-up finish in the 2012 Class 4-A state football championship, School City of Mishawaka officials pondered replacing the grass surface of historic Steele Stadium with Field Turf. Cost of the entire project — which also included a new running track and lighting — was $2.2 million.

The Field Turf plan eventually fizzled because of financial concerns. School City instead replaced one natural grass surface at Steele Stadium with another in 2017. It held up well enough for the Mishawaka Football League to have its championships played in the stadium last fall.

Gavin said that usage is a concern at School Field. In 2017, there were a combined 13 varsity football games at School Field, where Adams and Washington also play its freshman and junior varsity games.

“We get a lot of use out of it,” Gavin said. “But by October and November, that field is pretty well trucked up.”

He believes that Field Turf at School Field would help teams of South Bend schools be more competitive with perennial state football powers.

“If we can have the top-ranked team in the state in boys’ basketball (Riley is currently No. 1 in Class 4-A), why not in football?” Gavin wondered. “You never know what could happen (if) we provide the best possible resources for our kids to succeed.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

It passed last night.  I read where they plan on selling naming rights to help found improvements.

maybe the Pokagon band will hop on this one like they did the cove

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

I doubt that the IHSAA would appreciate having Casino money associated with high school athletics.

Right!

I said it in gest (to hopefully stir some banter), especially with the uproar about the new casino scheduled to open on Tuesday.  More likely corporate sponsors would be someone like Beacon or SBO.

Maybe that former Clay QB that just got a new gig can throw some of his $100 mil into the mix.

School Field improvements moving ahead

Upgrades may be funded by public contributions

 

SOUTH BEND — The South Bend schools will move ahead with design plans for improvements at School Field that could include Field Turf, new lighting and public address systems, modernized concessions and other upgrades.

The improvements, expected to cost about $1.5 million, would be paid for primarily through a public fundraising drive, said Mike Szymanski, director of capital projects for the South Bend Community School Corp. The school corporation also would look into whether some grants might be available to help with the project.

It's possible some improvements could occur by next football season.

 

"My goal is to get (artificial) turf on that field by next fall," Szymanski said.

With a 7-0 vote, the South Bend school board on Thursday night approved paying Alliance Architects of South Bend $112,200 for architectural services. Under the contract, the architecture firm will document the current condition of School Field and recommend necessary improvements, as well as prepare documents for bidding and serve as construction administrator.

The design work will precede the fundraising drive.

Two members of the public spoke in favor of the project at the meeting, and no one raised any concerns about it.

Edited by NRRaider2001

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything they want to do is needed badly.  But I still am curious about when they will have to major structure repairs to the south stands.  Few years back there was talk of tearing them down and replacing with traditional stands.  See if they are able to find the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, NRRaider2001 said:

Right!

I said it in gest (to hopefully stir some banter), especially with the uproar about the new casino scheduled to open on Tuesday.  More likely corporate sponsors would be someone like Beacon or SBO.

Maybe that former Clay QB that just got a new gig can throw some of his $100 mil into the mix.

School Field improvements moving ahead

Upgrades may be funded by public contributions

 

SOUTH BEND — The South Bend schools will move ahead with design plans for improvements at School Field that could include Field Turf, new lighting and public address systems, modernized concessions and other upgrades.

The improvements, expected to cost about $1.5 million, would be paid for primarily through a public fundraising drive, said Mike Szymanski, director of capital projects for the South Bend Community School Corp. The school corporation also would look into whether some grants might be available to help with the project.

It's possible some improvements could occur by next football season.

 

"My goal is to get (artificial) turf on that field by next fall," Szymanski said.

With a 7-0 vote, the South Bend school board on Thursday night approved paying Alliance Architects of South Bend $112,200 for architectural services. Under the contract, the architecture firm will document the current condition of School Field and recommend necessary improvements, as well as prepare documents for bidding and serve as construction administrator.

The design work will precede the fundraising drive.

Two members of the public spoke in favor of the project at the meeting, and no one raised any concerns about it.

 

The school board could be in for a rude awakening if the architect finds issues with the south stands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NRRaider2001 said:

maybe the Pokagon band will hop on this one like they did the cove

Isn't part of the profit from the Casino already been committed to the South Bend Publics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see this as a huge can of worms for the SB teams. Who gets to play on it? Riley and Clay were ok playing on Clay Field and Jackson field, but now, those teams will want a share of the new field. With the constant fight for SB Athletes, it's a huge upper hand for Adams and Washington school of choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On January 12, 2018 at 4:32 PM, npfb said:

I see this as a huge can of worms for the SB teams. Who gets to play on it? Riley and Clay were ok playing on Clay Field and Jackson field, but now, those teams will want a share of the new field. With the constant fight for SB Athletes, it's a huge upper hand for Adams and Washington school of choice. 

The easy solution would be to have doubleheaders at School Field every Friday.  Don't know if it's possible, but all the home games could be played there.

The NIC and Ads would have to work out schedules where there are two home and two away games every week for the SB schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

The easy solution would be to have doubleheaders at School Field every Friday.  Don't know if it's possible, but all the home games could be played there.

The NIC and Ads would have to work out schedules where there are two home and two away games every week for the SB schools.

I agree, I would think all SB Schools would want an even playing field, no pun intended. We just all know that this is a game changer when the fight for the top athletes in SB select a HS.  Especially when one SB school is extremely struggling keeping their program alive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, npfb said:

I agree, I would think all SB Schools would want an even playing field, no pun intended. We just all know that this is a game changer when the fight for the top athletes in SB select a HS.  Especially when one SB school is extremely struggling keeping their program alive. 

Perhaps this is the move that pushes Clay towards program contraction.  They are likely tipping right on the precipice.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it will be hard to find a NIC school that will want to play on a Thursday or a Saturday using the theme of wanting all schools to use SF.

And they have to find the money and hope the architects find nothing wrong with the stands on the south side

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Indian72 said:

I think it will be hard to find a NIC school that will want to play on a Thursday or a Saturday using the theme of wanting all schools to use SF.

And they have to find the money and hope the architects find nothing wrong with the stands on the south side

I said to play double headers on Friday.  I can be done with lots of cooperation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.