• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/20/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired
Sign in to follow this  
slicer28

Valparaiso Head Coach

5 hours ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

Tommy-

I know what you are talking about, but the link says page is unavailable.

Search

Five teenagers slashed at Indiana high school

Freshman student held in knife attack on classmates

Below:

Share8

Student Injures Eight Classmates In Knife AttackTo Oppose Barack Obama
Tasos Katopodis  /  Getty Images
Parents picks up their children after the knife attacks Wednesday.
APTRANS.gif
updated 11/24/2004 5:06:57 PM ET

VALPARAISO, Ind. — A student carrying two hidden knives slashed five classmates Wednesday morning as they watched a videotape in Spanish class, authorities said.

Eight students at Valparaiso High School were taken to the hospital, including the accused attacker, identified as a 15-year-old freshman, police Chief Michael Brickner said. All but one of those injured were released by Wednesday afternoon, he said. Five suffered cuts, and the others complained of pain from other injuries, authorities said.

Authorities released no information about a possible motive for the attack, which happened as classes were starting about 8 a.m. at the school about 20 miles southeast of Gary.

Students described a struggle in a hallway and said they saw blood on the floor.

“The kid, after he stabbed them, he ran out of the room, and a bunch of teachers tackled him,” said Clark Hogan, a sophomore. “I saw the lady kick the knife down the hallway. She kicked it against the wall.”

Brickner said that one of the knives was a machete and that the other was a serrated knife. The youth accused in the attack remained in custody.

School Superintendent Michael Benway said that the school did not have metal detectors but that school staffers and volunteers monitored the two doors through which the school’s 2,000 students entered the building

Brickner said that when police officers arrived, school administrators were holding the suspect, an A-B student who started in the Valparaiso school system this year.

The uninjured students were allowed to leave school about 3½ hours after the attack. Until then, they said, they were kept locked in their classrooms.

“The teachers wouldn’t tell us what was going on,” said one of the students, Danielle Boer. “We were scared.”

Jeni Bell, a spokeswoman for Porter Memorial Hospital, said that some students suffered severe cuts and that one suffered a hip injury. She said the injuries were not life-threatening.

• Thanks 1

I fail to see how something in 2004 has any bearing on this situation.

Wish Bill Marshall and folks at Valpo the best, my Dad played for Coach Stokes back in the 60s......

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I fail to see how something in 2004 has any bearing on this situation.

Wish Bill Marshall and folks at Valpo the best, my Dad played for Coach Stokes back in the 60s......

That incident is still fresh in people's minds now they have coach Buzz Cut coming in posting signs around the school that read “Execute with violent precision” .

The old adage.......

If they want you out, they will find anything and everything to get you to surrender.    Like the article I read today said that had quotes from an actual player......  He was already getting blowback and it was only 3 weeks.   Valpo knew what they were getting when they hired him.  Sad to see Facebook parents....or advocate group I think is the new term can wield that much power.   

I wish he would of stayed instead of ringing the bell.......  But if he didn't have confidence like the article indicated that he was gonna be able to run the program as he deemed fit then I guess I understand bouncing.   SO they didn't like the signs......fine.....take them down, re-word them.....get them approved, whatever the case may be.   Part of working with you school, but if he felt like he was getting micro managed then so be it.   At least its relatively early in the off season and not in June/July.     I am sure Coach Marshall will step right up .  There was a reason they named him "Associate Head Coach" at the same time as Hiring Mueller as HC

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

The old adage.......

If they want you out, they will find anything and everything to get you to surrender.    Like the article I read today said that had quotes from an actual player......  He was already getting blowback and it was only 3 weeks.   Valpo knew what they were getting when they hired him.  Sad to see Facebook parents....or advocate group I think is the new term can wield that much power.   

I wish he would of stayed instead of ringing the bell.......  But if he didn't have confidence like the article indicated that he was gonna be able to run the program as he deemed fit then I guess I understand bouncing.   SO they didn't like the signs......fine.....take them down, re-word them.....get them approved, whatever the case may be.   Part of working with you school, but if he felt like he was getting micro managed then so be it.   At least its relatively early in the off season and not in June/July.     I am sure Coach Marshall will step right up .  There was a reason they named him "Associate Head Coach" at the same time as Hiring Mueller as HC

Weren’t the signs already approved?  Thought I read that somewhere. 

13 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Thanks. Maybe I missed it again in your posted link. Then again maybe it was someone on Twitter or another media outlet. Again I could be wrong. 

Man.  I thought I was going crazy.....LOL.  

I knew I saw it somewhere.

School did approve the signs.

image.thumb.png.e94a74da707d5ef57695ea3692717052.png

Edited by Coach Ellenwood

Maybe signs are what goes to the media and there are other reason. Hopefully the program can get back on track. Good luck to the new coach.

I think this guy succommed to social media pressure.   That includes the GID and RSN.   I cannot recall a new HC taking so much personal and professional ridicule and mockery in such a short period of time.

Its almost as if the media set him up for this quick downfall.

Is this really what it's like in our armed forces? I had the feeling it was a little bit more professional and polished.  

Edited by DrivenT

9 hours ago, DrivenT said:

I think this guy succommed to social media pressure.   That includes the GID and RSN.   I cannot recall a new HC taking so much personal and professional ridicule and mockery in such a short period of time.

Its almost as if the media set him up for this quick downfall.

Is this really what it's like in our armed forces? I had the feeling it was a little bit more professional and polished.  

and not so thin skinned

The media really did this guy a disservice.  I believe the entire interview was conducted via email.  The reporter knew Mueller was inexperienced in dealing with the press, and could have tipped him off that he was coming off a bit odd and over the top.  

Im certainly not suggesting that Mueller was a good choice, as my immediate reaction to his hiring and his initial comments was strongly negative.  But the reporter just buried him and expedited his quick downfall.

Edited by DrivenT

Indiana Football Coach Resigns After Posting 'Violent' Signs

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/valparaiso-high-school-football-coach-resigns-473204433.html

From the http://www.nwitimes.com article linked above:

"We enjoyed having Mueller around, he pushed us and got us fired up and you could just feel that energy."

"Coach Mueller was a great person and a great coach/leader for the short time that we had him for," said another player who asked not to be named. "He wanted to change Valpo football for the better and make all of us men better but obviously, as we have seen, people try to find disgusting and not good meanings in quotes or signs and so unfortunately he decided if he couldn’t be who he wanted to be, then he could not help us be any better ... "

Seems like the kids were "drinking the Kool Aid", as we like to say in my house, which is a good thing and necessary for a successful program (IMO).

Good luck to the Valpo Football Program moving forward.

Edited by InTheTrench
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, InTheTrench said:

Indiana Football Coach Resigns After Posting 'Violent' Signs

Love the irony of the coach of a game based on violence getting fired for celebrating violence.

• Upvote 2

On 1/20/2018 at 1:22 PM, slice60 said:

Just read the article -- holy cow! Inspired coaching hire or spectacular failure in the making? I guess only time will tell.

Mueller is definitely confident in his abilities as a leader & coach. Not sure he has a firm grasp on the fact that the teenage football players in his school district may not be able to physically beat the teenage football players from all of the other DAC schools, Penn, Snider, Carmel...& that's just the northern 6A Semistate foes. 

Should every coach have huge goals & big-time expectations? Absolutely. But I can't recall ever reading such bold statements from a high school coach. Will the young men in Valpo be able to live up to his standards?

(Yes, I am quoting myself.)

So who predicted "spectacular failure" who quits in less than 1 month?

Based on the article, it sounds like the young men on the football team were ready to accept the challenges. Not sure those kids would have been so gung-ho when Mueller would step up the intensity after a couple of losses next fall.

Mueller's grand plans to take over the entire school & motivate everyone to greatness got push back. So what? Move your signs from the hallways to the locker room & the weight room. I certainly didn't expect a proven leader to QUIT over some non-believers who complained. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2018 at 3:26 PM, bobref said:

What in the heck is going on at Valpo, a school that enjoyed literally decades of stability in their program ... until just recently?

I agree with bobref.  Valpo started playing football in 1929 and Dave Coyle was only the 6th head coach in program history now it looks like it will become another program that cycles through not only a new head coach but an entirely new coaching regime every 4 or 5 seasons.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-football-valparaiso-st-0207-20180206-story.html

Just found this article which includes more of Mueller's email to the football parents. For whatever reason, the nwitimes article did not include the first & last sentence (underlined below) of his email. In my opinion, that final sentence may be the most important part of his statement.

"Dear parents, It is with my deepest regret for your athletes' sake that I turned in my resignation today. I wanted to let you know how much I thought of your young men. They were incredible. I absolutely believe they have the potential to win state this year. I cherished my short time with them and only had the best intention for them. I will let you know they are in great hands with Coach Marshall. I think the world of him. He will keep the fire burning and the drumbeat beating strong. I wish you and the Vikings the best. God bless, Weakness is Choice."

Weakness is Choice is how he chose to end his statement? Isn't QUITTING a choice too???

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Love the irony of the coach of a game based on violence getting fired for celebrating violence.

Coach Mueller didn't get fired; the man quit.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, slice60 said:

Coach Mueller didn't get fired; the man quit.

Sorry, my mistake.    Sounds like maybe the players and the Valpo administration wanted more of a bro-culture than Mr. Mueller wanted nothing to do with.

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Sorry, my mistake.    Sounds like maybe the players and the Valpo administration wanted more of a bro-culture than Mr. Mueller wanted nothing to do with.

Don't shoe horn the players into this yet.  And especially not this made up "bro-culture" that you and DT push.  From the few players who have been quoted, they loved what he was doing so far.  Including the hard work.  Add the fact that they were anonymous (which this site proves can compel people to say all kinds of stupid stuff *cough*) would lend one to believe it was their true sentiment.  They had every opportunity to say he was a clown or they weren't buying what he was selling.  The administration on the other hand...

1 hour ago, slice60 said:

Weakness is Choice is how he chose to end his statement? Isn't QUITTING a choice too???

In the back of my head, I hope that he was calling the parental units weak!   :07_v:

I thought this was a telling line in the story  "He had personal reasons," Hofer said of why Mueller quit. "He didn't want to keep doing this. He wasn't a coach. This is not what he wanted. He's going back to Carolina."

On 2/8/2018 at 2:13 PM, RegionFan said:

Don't shoe horn the players into this yet.  And especially not this made up "bro-culture" that you and DT push.  From the few players who have been quoted, they loved what he was doing so far.  Including the hard work.  Add the fact that they were anonymous (which this site proves can compel people to say all kinds of stupid stuff *cough*) would lend one to believe it was their true sentiment.  They had every opportunity to say he was a clown or they weren't buying what he was selling.  The administration on the other hand...

Sounds like the players had little respect for the coach and were being politically correct with their comments.

Players referred to the coach as "Mueller" in the comments from the article.  Can any of you who ever played a down imagine referring to your high school coach in any terms other than "Coach" or "Coach Mueller?"

Sounds like "Mueller" wanted to be a bro to these players.  Valpo is a fairly staid, buttoned down community.  Perhaps they wanted none of the bro culture infecting their program.  If that is indeed the case, they made the right move by running this guy off quickly.  

Edited by DrivenT
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1