• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/21/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired
Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

New Coaches - Who are these guys are where did they come from?

It seems at all levels, we are seeing experienced, accomplished head coaches moving on, only to be replaced by a seemingly endless procession of vastly inexperienced and underwhelming new coaching hires.

What gives?

The Chicago Bears turn over the reigns of their storied operation to an unproven OC who has less than one full year of play calling experience.

Valparaiso High School hires a retired army guy who has never held a head football coaching position in his life.  But he is definitely gung ho and up for the challenge.  LOL

The Indianapolis Colts are so desperate to hire a coach that they dip in to the college ranks and offer the job to Baylor's Matt Rhule, a first year coach who just finished 1-11.  And Rhule turns them down.  Really?

We are seeing the "dumbing down" of the coaching profession at all levels.  Probably has something to do with the ever increasing encroachment of the "Bro Culture."  

This is a trend that started several years ago and unfortunately is likely to continue as high school football moves further away from "varsity" status and closer to "club" status.  Any Tom, Dick or Harry off the street with a whistle and a pair of 70s style coaching shorts will be qualified to coach your local prep football team.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

It seems at all levels, we are seeing experienced, accomplished head coaches moving on, only to be replaced by a seemingly endless procession of vastly inexperienced and underwhelming new coaching hires.

What gives?

The Chicago Bears turn over the reigns of their storied operation to an unproven OC who has less than one full year of play calling experience.

Nagy is a ten year NFL coaching vet.  If you don’t know who he is, maybe it proves you’re not in a position to comment about these things.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

32 minutes ago, Peter Simon Veeder said:

The Colts didn’t offer him the job so he didn’t turn it down. Keep swinging Bro

Colts are like a rudderless ship.  Fake team.  Fake fans.  Fake owner.  Fake culture.

All the air went out of that franchise when Manning left.  

17 minutes ago, Coach_G said:

Nagy is a ten year NFL coaching vet.  If you don’t know who he is, maybe it proves you’re not in a position to comment about these things.  

Nobody knows who he is.  Therein lies the problem.  

Edited by DrivenT
  • Downvote 11

2 hours ago, DrivenT said:

This is a trend that started several years ago and unfortunately is likely to continue as high school football moves further away from "varsity" status and closer to "club" status.

I’m considered you think high school football is becoming more of a club.I believe high school football will start to actually grow again in the near future. Can you explain why you think it is becoming more “club”? 

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

Colts are like a rudderless ship.  Fake team.  Fake fans.  Fake owner.  Fake culture.

All the air went out of that franchise when Manning left.  

Nobody knows who he is.  Therein lies the problem.  

I knew who he was, and I’m by no means an expert on NFL coaching staffs.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DrivenT said:

What gives?

Valparaiso High School hires a retired army guy who has never held a head football coaching position in his life.  But he is definitely gung ho and up for the challenge.  LOL

The Indianapolis Colts are so desperate to hire a coach that they dip in to the college ranks and offer the job to Baylor's Matt Rhule, a first year coach who just finished 1-11.  And Rhule turns them down.  Really?

We are seeing the "dumbing down" of the coaching profession at all levels.  Probably has something to do with the ever increasing encroachment of the "Bro Culture."  

This is a trend that started several years ago and unfortunately is likely to continue as high school football moves further away from "varsity" status and closer to "club" status.  Any Tom, Dick or Harry off the street with a whistle and a pair of 70s style coaching shorts will be qualified to coach your local prep football team.

Rhule is only a one year coach if you exclude the four years he spent turning around a Temple program that had 2 wins his first year and 10 wins in his final two seasons as well as his time in the NFL under Tom Coughlin, who I hope we can all agree is NOT a bro culture type of guy. 

Only time will tell on these gentlemen, but each have qualifications that make them attractive coaching candidates if not “perfect candidates.”

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, THE FOOTBALL GUY said:

I’m considered you think high school football is becoming more of a club.I believe high school football will start to actually grow again in the near future. Can you explain why you think it is becoming more “club”? 

Football has been, and continues to be deemphasized as a primary sport at many high schools across the state.  The number of schools who are "serious" about fielding championship contending teams continues to dwindle.

Lake Central is a perfect example of this trend, up in The Region.

LC used to be an impact player up in Northwest Indiana, when the school made a winning football program a priority.  That is no longer the case.  The entire Duneland Conference has ratcheted down its competitive stature over the past decade, switching its emphasis more to baseball, basketball, country club sports and a renewed and vigorous investment in girls athletics.

As football becomes less important within Indian high school athletic departments, investment in equipment , facilities and coaching is greatly diminished.  The end product on the field begins to look more "club" than "varsity."  

It is for this reason that I strongly push the idea of voluntary contraction.  Given the choice, or option, I have no doubt that many ADs around the state would pull the plug on football, given the declining numbers and rising associated costs of maintaining a program year round.  

11 hours ago, Coach_G said:

But aren't there lots of ten year NFL coaching vets?   

10 hours ago, THE FOOTBALL GUY said:

Can you explain why you believe high school football will start to actually grow again in the near future, especially here in the great state of Indiana?

7 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Football has been, and continues to be deemphasized as a primary sport at many high schools across the state.  The number of schools who are "serious" about fielding championship contending teams continues to dwindle.

Lake Central is a perfect example of this trend, up in The Region.

LC used to be an impact player up in Northwest Indiana, when the school made a winning football program a priority.  That is no longer the case.  The entire Duneland Conference has ratcheted down its competitive stature over the past decade, switching its emphasis more to baseball, basketball, country club sports and a renewed and vigorous investment in girls athletics.

As football becomes less important within Indian high school athletic departments, investment in equipment , facilities and coaching is greatly diminished.  The end product on the field begins to look more "club" than "varsity."  

It is for this reason that I strongly push the idea of voluntary contraction.  Given the choice, or option, I have no doubt that many ADs around the state would pull the plug on football, given the declining numbers and rising associated costs of maintaining a program year round.  

Once again, you make a broad, sweeping generalization and only provide one bit of anecdotal evidence. Please provide actual, legitimate statistical evidence that football is being "de-emphasized as a primary sport" . . . "across the state".

Also, what insight do you have that indicates "AD's around the state would pull the plug on football?"

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bullhorn99 said:

Once again, you make a broad, sweeping generalization and only provide one bit of anecdotal evidence. Please provide actual, legitimate statistical evidence that football is being "de-emphasized as a primary sport" . . . "across the state".

Also, what insight do you have that indicates "AD's around the state would pull the plug on football?"

Have you ever had a "gut feel?"

If you have, then you will know where I am coming from.

I am not here to provide statistical analysis or deep data dives.  As you describe it,  I prefer "broad, sweeping generalizations" to make my points of emphasis.  They tend to be very effective relative to eliciting response and generating discussion.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Have you ever had a "gut feel?"

If you have, then you will know where I am coming from.

I am not here to provide statistical analysis or deep data dives.  As you describe it,  I prefer "broad, sweeping generalizations" to make my points of emphasis.  They tend to be very effective relative to eliciting response and generating discussion.  

That last paragraph says it all. To summarize, DrivenT will not use facts to prove his point. He make statements to get responses. I'm going to do my best to avoid any topic initiated by the DrivenTroll. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

What is missed is the fact that Vince Lombardi was a nobody. Tom Landry was unheard of. At some point in his career, Chuck Knoll was unheard of. Locally, when Dick Dullaghan first took charge of the Chatard program, he was unheard of as a coach; just as Bud Wright and so many others.

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, JQWL said:

He make statements to get responses. I

You GID profile says that you are supposedly a coach.  Do you not "make statements" to your players in order to "get responses"?

• Downvote 2

59 minutes ago, JQWL said:

That last paragraph says it all. To summarize, DrivenT will not use facts to prove his point. He make statements to get responses. I'm going to do my best to avoid any topic initiated by the DrivenTroll. 

Do as you may.  You'll miss all the fun

Opinions count in this world.  Without them we're all automotons.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, Irishman said:

What is missed is the fact that Vince Lombardi was a nobody. Tom Landry was unheard of. At some point in his career, Chuck Knoll was unheard of. Locally, when Dick Dullaghan first took charge of the Chatard program, he was unheard of as a coach; just as Bud Wright and so many others.

I think the issue is more about maturity perhaps than experience.

Josh McDaniels was too young and immature to handle the responsibility given him by Denver in his first head coaching stint.

McAdoo with the NY Giants apparently the same.  Hoping Nagy doesn't fall into that trap 

Look at guys like Doug Marrone and Doug Pederson.  Maybe its a "Doug thing."  mature, seasoned assistants who transitioned into HC positions and had early success.  Where are those guys?  

10 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Without them we're all automotons.

Which is one of primary missions of the government school system.  

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Can you explain why you believe high school football will start to actually grow again in the near future, especially here in the great state of Indiana?

If we took a time machine to the year 2038 there will absolutely be more kids playing football then there are today. 

question to the admins.  If I put this guy on ignore, does that mean his entire threads will not be seen by me?  

1 hour ago, Coach_G said:

If we took a time machine to the year 2038 there will absolutely be more kids playing football then there are today. 

In a proportional sense or just raw numbers? 

17 minutes ago, Coach_G said:

Raw numbers.  

I hope so. I don’t think the sky is falling on football but I do think football and traditional athletics in general are seeing and will continue to see a drop in numbers on an aggregate level. Today’s youth have a multitude of options that just weren’t available a decade or more ago. Soccer and lacrosse have grown exponentially more popular in high schools in various parts of the country. Also mixed martial arts has gained traction at the youth level. These are just other athletic options presented to kids. There’s non athletic options as well. 

That being said on an individual level I think many programs will grow as communities support their programs and put them in a position to be successful. The school I currently coach at had only 25 players 9-12 in it before our head coach arrived two seasons ago. Our roster has more than doubled, just the other day we had over 40 kids in the weight room and over 20 more in winter sports. 

I am extremely passionate about this sport but I do think there are challenges associated with it moving forward. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, coachfields said:

I hope so. I don’t think the sky is falling on football but I do think football and traditional athletics in general are seeing and will continue to see a drop in numbers on an aggregate level. Today’s youth have a multitude of options that just weren’t available a decade or more ago. Soccer and lacrosse have grown exponentially more popular in high schools in various parts of the country. Also mixed martial arts has gained traction at the youth level. These are just other athletic options presented to kids. There’s non athletic options as well. 

That being said on an individual level I think many programs will grow as communities support their programs and put them in a position to be successful. The school I currently coach at had only 25 players 9-12 in it before our head coach arrived two seasons ago. Our roster has more than doubled, just the other day we had over 40 kids in the weight room and over 20 more in winter sports. 

I am extremely passionate about this sport but I do think there are challenges associated with it moving forward. 

I am hoping Coach G is correct but I do share your overall concern.  As to the growth of soccer and lacrosse - clearly soccer competes with football because the seasons conflict.  Lacrosse, on the other hand, is a Spring sport and complements football fairly well.  I know that over the last 10 years or so both Chatard and Cathedral have had kids playing both sports (and playing at an All-State level in both sports).   Out East, its fairly normal for kids to play both sports.

One of the additional concerns I have about football is whether coaches (in all sports) will continue to pressure kids to "pick" one sport - a long-time trend that shows no indication of changing.  We like to talk about multi-sport athletes but, in reality, parents and kids are almost forced to choose "a" sport starting back in the elementary schools.

As to the decline DT discusses, it would seem most of the examples he cites are found north of Central Indiana - primarily in NW Indiana (football seems alive and well in the Ft. Wayne area).  Frankly, my sense is that football remains strong in Central Indiana and arguably is more popular than its ever been (even growing) in Southern Indiana.   

Speaking only for 3A, I think football is better overall than it has ever been.  My guess is that this improvement is not somehow solely isolated to 3A.

Edited by Lysander
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Lysander said:

I am hoping Coach G is correct but I do share your overall concern.  As to the growth of soccer and lacrosse - clearly soccer competes with football because the seasons conflict.  Lacrosse, on the other hand, is a Spring sport and complements football fairly well.  I know that over the last 10 years or so both Chatard and Cathedral have had kids playing both sports (and playing at an All-State level in both sports).   Out East, its fairly normal for kids to play both sports.

One of the additional concerns I have about football is whether coaches (in all sports) will continue to pressure kids to "pick" one sport - a long-time trend that shows no indication of changing.  We like to talk about multi-sport athletes but, in reality, parents and kids are almost forced to choose "a" sport starting back in the elementary schools.

As to the decline DT discusses, it would seem most of the examples he cites are found north of Central Indiana - primarily in NW Indiana (football seems alive and well in the Ft. Wayne area).  Frankly, my sense is that football remains strong in Central Indiana and arguably is more popular than its ever been (even growing) in Southern Indiana.   

Speaking only for 3A, I think football is better overall than it has ever been.  My guess is that this improvement is not somehow solely isolated to 3A.

Your second paragraph is the reason I feel that lacrosse as well as other spring sports pose a challenge to foootball, even with it being in a different season. I do not know a lot about the sport so it is nice to know that you feel the complement each other rather than compete. 

14 hours ago, DrivenT said:

I am not here to provide statistical analysis or deep data dives

Then you waste our time, and our bandwidth.

• Downvote 1