• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/21/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired
Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

New Coaches - Who are these guys are where did they come from?

2 hours ago, BTF said:

And that's tragic. There was a time when the thought of Snider traveling to the region to play Portage, Merrillville or Valpo was scarier than playing Penn or Carmel. Yeah, the latter were, are, and always be two of the best programs in the state, but there was something unsettling about having to travel up Hwy 30 toward Chicago to play the former. Twenty years ago I would have given Snider a 25% chance of traveling to the region and coming home with a championship. Nowadays, I'd give them, at the minimum, a 75% chance even with the long road trip.

Pound for pound, in my opinion, there was a time when the Duneland was the best conference in the state..............and that includes the MIC. And.........as stated in an earlier post............if you don't know what pound for pound means, please don't respond to this post.

Its the exact same thing with Hobart and Highland, just on a smaller scale.  Its really very simple.  The Region has changed from a blue collar , manufacturing economy to a service-white collar economy that has been heavily influenced by ethnic minority immigration.  College football is not a big deal in this area, and I think that has a negative influence-impact on the high school game.  Fort Wayne is surrounded by college football powers, which definitely boosts the prep game in your area, IMO.   Notre Dame has a similar influence in South Bend.  

The Region will likely have a few strong teams from year to year (Lowell, Andrean, Griffith (moving down in class, likely) But the areas two flagship conferences, The Duneland and the Northwest Crossroads, are relatively weak from top to bottom collectively.  I believe the better coaches know this very clearly and stay away due to competitive concerns.  

Snider is 3 TDs better than anyone in The Region, with the possible exception of Lowell, which is not really Region in the true sense.  

Edited by DrivenT

If there is to be a football  renaissance in The Region, I believe it will start with Munster.  MHS has all the tools to be a football power, if it wants to be.  Munster is the "Carmel" of Northwest Indiana.  When Leroy Marsh retires, Munster will be at a turning point.  Do they settle back and accept their position as a small 5A or a big 4A non contender, or do they go out and hire a game changing leader to rebuild the program and leverage all of their built in internal advantages?

A Coach like Craig Buzea would quickly transform Munster into a contender at the state level. 

The first step for Munster would be a move to the Duneland.  I think this move would energize the entire conference, and possibly motivate some of the other schools to step up their games.  With Griffith's departure, the Northwest Crossroads is on shaky ground.  Munster is in the highly coveted position of being the big dog and having the ability to control its own destiny.  Kind of like Texas in the Big 12.  :07_v:

5 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Its the exact same thing with Hobart and Highland, just on a smaller scale.  Its really very simple.  The Region has changed from a blue collar , manufacturing economy to a service-white collar economy that has been heavily influenced by ethnic minority immigration.  College football is not a big deal in this area, and I think that has a negative influence-impact on the high school game.  Fort Wayne is surrounded by college football powers, which definitely boosts the prep game in your area, IMO.   Notre Dame has a similar influence in South Bend.  

The Region will likely have a few strong teams from year to year (Lowell, Andrean, Griffith (moving down in class, likely) But the areas two flagship conferences, The Duneland and the Northwest Crossroads, are relatively weak from top to bottom collectively.  I believe the better coaches know this very clearly and stay away due to competitive concerns.  

Snider is 3 TDs better than anyone in The Region, with the possible exception of Lowell, which is not really Region in the true sense.  

So, really, the "problem" as regards the overall decline statewide of Indiana HS football as you see it (and talk about interminably) IS actually a "Region" problem....yet somehow a statewide problem.  

Some would call that an obtuse observation as to the overall picture......even self-absorption.  Some heretics might call it narrow-minded.  

Some might....certainly not me.  

Certainly not me.......

They tell me that there are other parts of the State outside of the "Region".....at least, there are rumors that Indiana exists outside of the "Region"....God forbid that thought.

Rumor has it that East Central HS, Evansville Memorial, Columbus East, Gibson Southern, Ft. Wayne, most all of Evansville and Central Indiana in general seem to be humming along quite swimmingly as regards HS football.  They often actually block and tackle people on a football field....so I have heard.

That said, I have also heard that just really, really "mean" people live in those places.  I will try to forgive them.

Perhaps we just need to focus on how to "fix" the "Region"....apparently....since they are the tail that wags the Indiana dog.

Please tell us what we can send that way to help - coaches, new schemes, testosterone, hard-core team Moms....just let the rest of us know what ya'll need.  We have them.

We are all here to help....simply because we love you and support our faltering Hoosiers.

Hoosiers are a loving people...we will coddle those who need coddling.  

Hugs for all those who need it too.  

We are here for you.  

All of us....we lose sleep every night thinking about it.

Just tell us how we can help.

Edited by Lysander
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 1/13/2018 at 3:47 PM, Staxawax said:

question to the admins.  If I put this guy on ignore, does that mean his entire threads will not be seen by me?  

I'm not an admin but I did use this feature.  It doesn't completely eliminate them but seems to help.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:29 PM, DrivenT said:

Its the exact same thing with Hobart

Hobart was one of the main reasons the Region got a reputation for having some of the toughest, hard nosed, teams in the state. I remember the Hobart of the 80's. Their first matchup against Snider didn't go so well for them in 81'. The rematch didn't go so well for the Panthers in 82'. From 1979 to 1996, the Brickies went to TEN state championships and took the crown three of those times. Snider's record against the rest of the region is 3-4, most of those games occurring in the 90's.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:48 PM, DrivenT said:

If there is to be a football  renaissance in The Region, I believe it will start with Munster.  MHS has all the tools to be a football power, if it wants to be.  Munster is the "Carmel" of Northwest Indiana. 

Agree 100%. Good area with good people.

On 1/14/2018 at 10:20 AM, DrivenT said:

My days here may be numbered.  

All gravy on this end 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2018 at 1:37 PM, BTF said:

This is the one that intrigues me the most, yet no one here seems to have any information on it other than Driven T. I've never held a coaching position either. Could I walk into a large high school like Valpo, impress the AD with my enthusiasm and the fact that I watch a lot of high school and college football, and convince him that I'm the right person for the job? If it's that easy, and I've been looking for a career change, I may be the head coach of a high school team this fall.

Seriously, I think being the head football coach at Valpo (a 6a school) is interesting enough to attract a proven head coach from another school or a proven offensive or defensive coordinator.

Some info and background on Coach Mueller: http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/football/valparaiso-high-school-will-hire-steven-mueller-as-football-coach/article_12b07732-f2f5-5182-bb9e-ba6803443340.html 

Not exactly someone who has just sat around watching football on TV and decided to jump into coaching.

There you go; no more doom and gloom for Valpo.  If reading that doesn't want to make you strap it up I don't know what would.  Now does it translate to on the football field success; only time will tell.  But i'm guessing it won't take long for this guy to get at least the majority of his kids willing to run through the wall for him and that's half the battle these days.

From all indications.......

VHS went from Coach Coyle who followed school set guidelines and rules and was "ushered out".  VHS hires a former Navy SEAL/Army Ranger.

Good luck Vikings.

2 hours ago, WCCtoSAC said:

Some info and background on Coach Mueller: http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/football/valparaiso-high-school-will-hire-steven-mueller-as-football-coach/article_12b07732-f2f5-5182-bb9e-ba6803443340.html 

Not exactly someone who has just sat around watching football on TV and decided to jump into coaching.

Thanks for the article. He sounds like a great hire. What does Valpo have to lose? They haven't won a playoff game in how many years? I like that he is a graduate of the high school. I like that he was a high school All American. I like that he has experience playing on a Division 1 football team. I like that he has some coaching experience, although not as a head coach. And most of all, I like that he is a former Navy Seal. Good luck coach, I hope you do great! Most people rely on Penn and Snider to win a big school state championship from the north. If Valpo is that team, then hats off to them. The north needs more strong programs.

41 minutes ago, BTF said:

Thanks for the article. He sounds like a great hire. What does Valpo have to lose? They haven't won a playoff game in how many years? I like that he is a graduate of the high school. I like that he was a high school All American. I like that he has experience playing on a Division 1 football team. I like that he has some coaching experience, although not as a head coach. And most of all, I like that he is a former Navy Seal. Good luck coach, I hope you do great! Most people rely on Penn and Snider to win a big school state championship from the north. If Valpo is that team, then hats off to them. The north needs more strong programs.

And Carmel :)

7 minutes ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

Im hopeful that Merrillville and Lake Central somehow find the motivation to rebuild their respective programs and get back in the 6A mix representing Northwest Indiana.  

Neither has a staff that has shown the capability to develop the type of dominant program it will take to compete with the central Indiana powers.  

MIchigan City and Laporte have taken control of The Duneland, and Valpo will continue to be in the discussion.  Merrillville and LC are in need of a total rebuild, and desperate for new leadership, in my view.

On 1/15/2018 at 9:48 PM, DrivenT said:

If there is to be a football  renaissance in The Region, I believe it will start with Munster.  MHS has all the tools to be a football power, if it wants to be.  Munster is the "Carmel" of Northwest Indiana.  When Leroy Marsh retires, Munster will be at a turning point.  Do they settle back and accept their position as a small 5A or a big 4A non contender, or do they go out and hire a game changing leader to rebuild the program and leverage all of their built in internal advantages?

A Coach like Craig Buzea would quickly transform Munster into a contender at the state level. 

The first step for Munster would be a move to the Duneland.  I think this move would energize the entire conference, and possibly motivate some of the other schools to step up their games.  With Griffith's departure, the Northwest Crossroads is on shaky ground.  Munster is in the highly coveted position of being the big dog and having the ability to control its own destiny.  Kind of like Texas in the Big 12.  :07_v:

Coach Marsh will be at Munster as long as he wants to be ... and that’s OK. But in terms of his eventual successor, I have a hard time seeing them going all out for a home run hire. I agree with your observations about positioning to be a power in their class ... they’ve done that in basketball without such a hire (Mike Hackett was an asst. coach at Merrillville). But there are 2 factors arguing against them doing it in football. First, Munster has recently undergone a financial crisis that saw a couple of administrators criminally charged, and essentially 100% turnover on the school board. Very unlikely, IMO, that they’d open up the checkbook in the current climate. Secondly, there is a significant faction in Munster that believes placing such great emphasis on football is somehow incompatible with the self-perception of an elite academic school. Examples of why that thinking is wrong abound. But it’s there, nonetheless.

As a Mustang alum, I’d like nothing better than to see the Mustangs occupy a position in the northern Indiana football hierarchy similar to that of the 1970s when HOF coach John Friend was both HFC and AD. It’s definitely achievable. But there are significant barriers to overcome.

55 minutes ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

Lol, that's Indy

57 minutes ago, bobref said:

Coach Marsh will be at Munster as long as he wants to be ... and that’s OK. But in terms of his eventual successor, I have a hard time seeing them going all out for a home run hire. I agree with your observations about positioning to be a power in their class ... they’ve done that in basketball without such a hire (Mike Hackett was an asst. coach at Merrillville). But there are 2 factors arguing against them doing it in football. First, Munster has recently undergone a financial crisis that saw a couple of administrators criminally charged, and essentially 100% turnover on the school board. Very unlikely, IMO, that they’d open up the checkbook in the current climate. Secondly, there is a significant faction in Munster that believes placing such great emphasis on football is somehow incompatible with the self-perception of an elite academic school. Examples of why that thinking is wrong abound. But it’s there, nonetheless.

As a Mustang alum, I’d like nothing better than to see the Mustangs occupy a position in the northern Indiana football hierarchy similar to that of the 1970s when HOF coach John Friend was both HFC and AD. It’s definitely achievable. But there are significant barriers to overcome.

It may not necessarily take a big check to lure the right candidate.

Locally, you have an established guy at MC and a young up and comer at GHS who might be able to take the Stangs to the next level and beyond.  But to your point, is the "want to" there in Munster at this time?  I'm sure all the Asian and Indian parents in the community would rather see funds reinvested into education than athletics, especially American Tackle Football.  :07_v:

Most are not aware, but the biggest game in Region history was played at Munster High School in 1977 when the defending state champ Merrillville Pirates came in to town to play a very solid Munster team lead by Dennis Flynn, Dave Such and Artie Equiaha

Merrillville rolled the Mustangs in front of an SRO crowd over 10000

Best of Times for Region prep football.

Edited by DrivenT

Jim Peters article in The Times never said that Valpo's new coach Steve Mueller was never a Navy Seal, he was an Army Major.  Wonder what he is going to teach, Valpo does not have an ROTC program, Portage and Michigan City does.  

Still hard to believe that Valpo has not won a sectional game since 2010.

2 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Im hopeful that Merrillville and Lake Central somehow find the motivation to rebuild their respective programs and get back in the 6A mix representing Northwest Indiana.  

Neither has a staff that has shown the capability to develop the type of dominant program it will take to compete with the central Indiana powers.  

MIchigan City and Laporte have taken control of The Duneland, and Valpo will continue to be in the discussion.  Merrillville and LC are in need of a total rebuild, and desperate for new leadership, in my view.

So am I.  I am a 96 LC alum.

46 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

It may not necessarily take a big check to lure the right candidate.

Locally, you have an established guy at MC and a young up and comer at GHS who might be able to take the Stangs to the next level and beyond.  But to your point, is the "want to" there in Munster at this time?  I'm sure all the Asian and Indian parents in the community would rather see funds reinvested into education than athletics, especially American Tackle Football.  :07_v:

Most are not aware, but the biggest game in Region history was played at Munster High School in 1977 when the defending state champ Merrillville Pirates came in to town to play a very solid Munster team lead by Dennis Flynn, Dave Such and Artie Equiaha

Merrillville rolled the Mustangs in front of an SRO crowd over 10000

Best of Times for Region prep football.

didnt he play at crown point?

1 hour ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

So am I.  I am a 96 LC alum.

didnt he play at crown point?

DT his referring to his dad.  He is married to former Crown Point girls basketball star Anne "Special K" Kvachkoff.

1 hour ago, tommy said:

DT his referring to his dad.  He is married to former Crown Point girls basketball star Anne "Special K" Kvachkoff.

I thought Artie Sr. Played at CP too. In the 80s and went to school w Anne?

16 minutes ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

I thought Artie Sr. Played at CP too. In the 80s and went to school w Anne?

Wrong Artie

LOL

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2018 at 9:48 PM, DrivenT said:

Have you seen how much Homewood-Flossmoor is paying their guys there? Why do you think it attracted Coach Buzea and Merrillville's coach (A head coach leaving for an assistant coaching job - less responsibility - more pay). It's hard to say no to a 20-30k raise. In coaching, I know it's not always about the money, but $$ does make it a lot easier to support your family. Coach Buzea would be a tremendous hire for a program like Munster, but it's a long shot. He'd have to have a buddy on the school board that he's doing a favor for, and they're giving him a great retirement package or they're gonna shell out the $ to draw him away from H-F (not likely)

50 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Have you seen how much Homewood-Flossmoor is paying their guys there? Why do you think it attracted Coach Buzea and Merrillville's coach (A head coach leaving for an assistant coaching job - less responsibility - more pay). It's hard to say no to a 20-30k raise. In coaching, I know it's not always about the money, but $$ does make it a lot easier to support your family. Coach Buzea would be a tremendous hire for a program like Munster, but it's a long shot. He'd have to have a buddy on the school board that he's doing a favor for, and they're giving him a great retirement package or they're gonna shell out the $ to draw him away from H-F (not likely)

I didnt say Craig Buzea, I said a coach "like" Craig Buzea.  There are very few of those remaining in the game.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

I didnt say Craig Buzea, I said a coach "like" Craig Buzea.  There are very few of those remaining in the game.

1 of the most important years of football for me was getting recruited to be part of Buzz's staff at PHS in 2006.  I learned SO MUCH football and how to run a program from top-down and down up.  I will forever be grateful to him for this!  GREAT coach and man!

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

1 of the most important years of football for me was getting recruited to be part of Buzz's staff at PHS in 2006.  I learned SO MUCH football and how to run a program from top-down and down up.  I will forever be grateful to him for this!  GREAT coach and man!

Buzea gets lots of credit for his coaching, but he was a helluva player as well.  He was a tailback in Les Thornton's wishbone offense at Griffith.  Tough dude.  Hard to bring down.  He and Ken Lenz were a terrific backfield duo, with Eli Jovanovich at fullback.  Before the Radtke's , this was Griffith's best offensive backfield.  Frankly, I think they were better.  Definitely bigger and tougher, and without all the cocky brashness.  

Edited by DrivenT