• Announcements

    • Coach Nowlin

      HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/20/2017

      CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired
Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

IU-Purdue Recruiting Deadlock

Recommended Posts

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=Big-Ten

 

Virtual tie between the two heading in to the final stretch.

 

Still no **** for Indiana.  

 

Northwestern last in the conference.  Odd.  Perhaps its due to the small class.  

James Franklin is going toe to toe with Urban Meyer.  Harbaugh left in the dust.

Note the surge by Maryland.  They will be factor in the years to come.  It also says a lot about the quality of athletes and overall talent in the east/DC region.  (NJ/PA/VA/MD/DC)  BT was wise to expand into this area.  

 

 

 

Edited by DrivenT
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Purdue will get a significant bump when 4 star / high end 3 star depends on which site signs in February,  US army AA Rondale Moore  

unless that is taking it into account already ??? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Purdue will get a significant bump when 4 star / high end 3 star depends on which site signs in February,  US army AA Rondale Moore  

unless that is taking it into account already ??? 

It is. Purdue will rise though if they sign high 3 star DE Arak McDuffie.

Edited by Andy G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More 3 star signees won't have any impact on the final rankings.  OSU is just a machine.  The talent is overwhelming.  The gap with UM is getting larger.  Seems like Harbaugh is losing more ground with each passing year.  No one really expected that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DrivenT said:

OSU is just a machine.  The talent is overwhelming.  The gap with UM is getting larger.  Seems like Harbaugh is losing more ground with each passing year.  No one really expected that.  

Love it! 

Harbaugh is too flaky for most of the elite talent guys.  Doesn't relate.  He did well at Stanford as I think his quirkiness has a lot to do with his intelligence and he related much better.  Certainly nothing against UM academics or athletes they recruit, Stanford is just different.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2018 at 11:19 AM, DrivenT said:

ote the surge by Maryland.  They will be factor in the years to come.  It also says a lot about the quality of athletes and overall talent in the east/DC region.  (NJ/PA/VA/MD/DC)  BT was wise to expand into this area.  

They are doing an amazing job.  But spending the money is the key to getting and or keeping local players.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bs-sp-cole-field-house-maryland-0802-story.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bowwowindy1 said:

They are doing an amazing job.  But spending the money is the key to getting and or keeping local players.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bs-sp-cole-field-house-maryland-0802-story.html

 

Maryland's goal is to become the Oregon of the east.  Nike money built Oregon athletics, and Kevin Plank and his Under Armour cash are doing the same for Maryland.  I was a bit skeptical when the Terps joined the Big Ten, but I think it will turn out long term to be a huge win for both entities financially and athletically.  It also solidifies Penn State's place in the conference.  Having Rutgers and Maryland in the conference gives PSU more a sense of belonging.  They felt like outsiders for the first 20 years they were in the league.  

Edited by DrivenT
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2018 at 11:42 PM, DrivenT said:

More 3 star signees won't have any impact on the final rankings.  OSU is just a machine.  The talent is overwhelming.  The gap with UM is getting larger.  Seems like Harbaugh is losing more ground with each passing year.  No one really expected that.  

They will move up a spot or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andy G said:

They will move up a spot or two.

But does that move the needle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2019 is where that needle moves imo.   Having Karlaftis on board,  Working a few more important instate 4 star guys is also good sign.   Kiser, Tracy, Sampson to name a few.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

But does that move the needle?

Needle has already moved significantly. Improving from the 70s to the low 40s is phenomenal improvement. I expect the needle to keep moving, too, because Purdue already has a four star recruit in George Karlaftis signed for 2019. Back to what you were asking, a high 3 star DE is a very good signing because Purdue is headed towards being an offensive juggernaut under Brohm, but Nick Holt needs good players on the defensive side. If Purdue's D can play anywhere close to last season, top 20, and improve the offense, watch out. Also don't forget that Brohm has a recruiting hot bed in Louisville and is starting to pull multiple top ten Kentucky recruits each year. I also won't be surprised if Brohm signs another 2-3 grad transfers and a JUCO or two before this class is over.

Edited by Andy G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

technically spearking Karlaftis is not signed as its impossible to sign until Dec of 2018, however it seems to be as solid as a recruit can get.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andy G said:

Needle has already moved significantly. Improving from the 70s to the low 40s is phenomenal improvement. I expect the needle to keep moving, too, because Purdue already has a four star recruit in George Karlaftis signed for 2019. Back to what you were asking, a high 3 star DE is a very good signing because Purdue is headed towards being an offensive juggernaut under Brohm, but Nick Holt needs good players on the defensive side. If Purdue's D can play anywhere close to last season, top 20, and improve the offense, watch out. Also don't forget that Brohm has a recruiting hot bed in Louisville and is starting to pull multiple top ten Kentucky recruits each year. I also won't be surprised if Brohm signs another 2-3 grad transfers and a JUCO or two before this class is over.

I was referencing IU.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the real question is how long can Purdue keep Brohm......almost Tennessee bound just a few months ago.  I just can't see Petrino being in Louisville forever.  Plus I think other top 15 programs will come calling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Purdue will have to answer these questions every offseason they are successful No Doubt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Trojan Dad said:

I think the real question is how long can Purdue keep Brohm......almost Tennessee bound just a few months ago.  I just can't see Petrino being in Louisville forever.  Plus I think other top 15 programs will come calling.

If you are Jeff Brohm, what would you rather do?

Compete in the relatively weak Big Ten West, and have a shot at the BT Championship game (a virtual home game)  in rather short order?

Or go to Louisville, and compete in the ACC Atlantic Division with Clemson and Florida State?

I think Brohm will quickly push the Boilers into the top half of the West, and then he will have a shot at a conf championship game when they have an easy crossover schedule against the east.  No Michigan or Penn State on the 2018 schedule, and Brutus Buckeye comes to WL.  Perhaps as early as next season?

 

 

This illustrates  the extreme divergence of these two instate programs.  With Purdue, we are talking about how quickly the Boilers can get to the conf championship game.

With IU, we are still not sure if our high school coach is truly up to the job.

A true dichotomy.

Edited by DrivenT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Brohm going down one of three paths :

1. Long time stay at Purdue - 10 plus years and then retirement, similar to Tiller.

2. Depart after a brief stay (2-3 years) for a Top 5 college program  (Not Tennessee or Louisville) (Top Tier SEC, USC, Michigan, Ohio State,  Penn State, Florida State)

3. Depart after 3 to 5 seasons for an NFL Head Coaching position 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

clearly I'm rooting for option 1 with an additional ++ to the 10 

:17_v:

but completely agree with the Purdue vs Louisville conference alignment makes it a better business decision to stick around W LA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PU will continue to need to increase assistant coach pay if they want to recruit and compete, otherwise their better assistants will get pilfered by the higher end programs especially if they continue improving.

Only Rutgers and IU pay their assistant coaches less.  Which that's after a half million bump Brohm was able to negotiate when he came in as they were dead last.  They're over 2.5 million less than Michigan who's tops in the conference in assistant coaches pay.  These are the guys recruiting and developing the players and if they're good, they will absolutely leave for another 100k-250k a year.  Purdue is sandwiched right in between those two powerhouse big12 teams of Kansas and Kansas St on the asst pay scale so I think there's probably pretty good evidence that there's a correlation.

And this is just for the 9 full time assistant coaches this year so now that they're allowed 10 moving forward, the discrepancy probably just got bigger.

IU lost the bucket and they're in the bucket from this perspective.  Only two power 5 schools (Texas Tech and Iowa St) pay their assistants slightly less.  So IU says they want to compete but they don't and PU is only marginally better at this point.  If some assistants can get paid more at App St, Troy, Georgia State, Arkansas St, etc. your not really competing as a high end program.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DrivenT said:

If you are Jeff Brohm, what would you rather do?

Compete in the relatively weak Big Ten West, and have a shot at the BT Championship game (a virtual home game)  in rather short order?

Or go to Louisville, and compete in the ACC Atlantic Division with Clemson and Florida State?

I think Brohm will quickly push the Boilers into the top half of the West, and then he will have a shot at a conf championship game when they have an easy crossover schedule against the east.  No Michigan or Penn State on the 2018 schedule, and Brutus Buckeye comes to WL.  Perhaps as early as next season?

 

 

This illustrates  the extreme divergence of these two instate programs.  With Purdue, we are talking about how quickly the Boilers can get to the conf championship game.

With IU, we are still not sure if our high school coach is truly up to the job.

A true dichotomy.

You make some good points.  It will be interesting to see if Purdue will match offers and continue major investment in the program.  But you make some good points about competition in the Big 10 West.  I think Purdue is on the rise and because of this, the interest in Brohm will continue to grow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2018 at 4:53 PM, DrivenT said:

I was referencing IU.  

I was just looking at some of Purdue's old recruiting classes and noticed something that is a bit mind boggling. Since Brohm became the new head coach, he has, including Karlaftis from the 2019 class, recruited five players that are ranked higher than the highest player in all four of Purdue's classes from 2014-2017. In that timeframe, Purdue's highest recruit was David Blough, rated an 86 according to the 247 composite, which averages the ranking from a bunch of recruiting websites. This year alone Purdue has signed 4 players ranked higher than an 86. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Andy G said:

I was just looking at some of Purdue's old recruiting classes and noticed something that is a bit mind boggling. Since Brohm became the new head coach, he has, including Karlaftis from the 2019 class, recruited five players that are ranked higher than the highest player in all four of Purdue's classes from 2014-2017. In that timeframe, Purdue's highest recruit was David Blough, rated an 86 according to the 247 composite, which averages the ranking from a bunch of recruiting websites. This year alone Purdue has signed 4 players ranked higher than an 86. 

They should sue Darrell Hazell for negligence and for attempt to impersonate a head football coach.  

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoosier nipped us!!!   But 50th in the nation!!  I will take it. 

Lots of twitter excitement among the 2019 in state class,  I know they all know each other, but it seemed like many of the in state fellas enjoyed the Billboard graphic sent out yesterday by PU football.   

Karlaftis might be the best recruiter PU has :13_v:

regardless where many of these top talented in state players end up, at least it seems Purdue is getting consideration under Brohm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.