• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/24/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street Knightstown:  Kevin Miller  Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Kokomo:  Brett Colby  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  
Sign in to follow this  
Taps Browning

Barr-Reeve 56 Loogootee 49 3 OT

This one had a bit of everything

It was close throughout the game. BR was up by about 6 about half way through the 4th qtr, but couldn't maintain the lead. BR had the ball at the end of regulation, but didn't look good as their worst offensive player forced up a shot that wasn't close.

In the first overtime BR guard Gladish banked in a 3 pointer with 3 seconds left to go up by 3. Loogootee ran a hook and ladder and got off a good shot that hit the rim about 5 times before finally falling in at the buzzer.

In the 2nd overtime one of the few bad calls in the game gave Loogootee 2 free throws that tied it. BR failed to get off a shot and then Loogootee had 2.8 seconds left. They ran a similar play but didn't get much of a look.

In the 3rd overtime BR took control. To finish the bizarre happenings Loogootee took a shot and the ball got stuck on top of the backboard. Players kept trying to knock it off with another ball - and failing. It was pretty comical.

Thoughts: Loogootee deserved to win this game. They wanted it more and played harder and probably better than BR. For BR Isaac Wagler played very hard and well but the rest of the team acted like they would rather be someplace else. Wagler won this game for BR. You just don't get the feeling that the Vikings are a team, which is really unusual for them. I thought this game also demonstrated the problems that occur if you don't make a concerted effort to develop your bench. BR had at least one player who was just playing very poorly but the coach has no confidence in his substitutes.

There is definitely a disconnect on this team.  IMO it involves the big kid O’Neill.  It seems to be getting more and more obvious. The team does not want to throw him the ball. Over the last 4 games I don’t know how many times I’ve heard Hughes yelling throw him the ball.  He was far from spectacular during regulation but finally showed up in the 3rd OT.  Unfortunately his size is an asset and you can’t really sub for him.  You are correct Wagler won this game for the Vikings.  His hustle was nice to see and he seems to be improving this season. 

I think the problem is finding consistent offensive  play from a 3rd or even 4th player, plus the same predictable sets. Sure Hughes yells to feed the post all the time, but they don’t have  an Addison Wagler, and this team has had a habit of forcing it in early in the season which created several turnovers early on. They have doing better with that, but O’Neil’s play hasn’t always been consistent offensively or defensively. He’s a Sophomore so that is to be expected and  will only continue to get better.

For the most part I don't really think it is that they don't want to throw the ball into O'Neil - it's just that they aren't good at it. The post entry pass is a skill like anything else and putting it at the right place and the right time is way harder than some people make it look. 

The chemistry just isn't good at times with this team. Most schools have to deal with this from time to time. It is rare at BR because lots of times all of the players are related in some way and they have played together their entire lives. BR has players from different classes which can be a problem too. This team is way less "savvy" than most Viking squads too.

I think all of these issues would vanish if they had a good, experienced point guard to lead them. That was the obvious weakness of this team from day one and it is still the weakness. Brycen Graber has done really well for a freshman that started the season playing 3 quarters on the JV, but it is unrealistic to expect him to play at the level that the team needs to meet their potential and also to be the floor leader. 

Edited by Taps Browning

Essentially what I'm reading is that Barr-Reeve should get through the sectional without too much trouble?  This thread portrays a different tone, but I'm reading a disinterested, out-hustled, out-worked and outplayed Barr-Reeve team won this matchup.  It is hard to think BR would lose those inter-battles again, thereby making a postseason rematch less thrilling.

Obviously anything can happen in March, and I'd be the first to walk through the door expecting another barn-burner.  But it sounds like BR has more room for improvement in a rematch than what the Lions would.  Agreed?

I'm not sure. Loogootee did not shoot the ball very well, so they could improve in that aspect.

Each team presents match up problems for the other.  Loogootee started 4 little guys, BR starts 3 little guys, that means there is always going to be a mis-match somewhere. You would think BR would have posted up both of their bigs, but they never really did. 

If Loogootee would come out with a hot start and get a lead, I wonder if BR could ever catch up.

Bottom line if I had to bet on one team to come out of the Loogootee sectional and regional, I would still pick BR, but there are several teams, including Loogootee and Orleans that could beat them.

Finally, it is hard to beat a team 3 times, especially when the team that lost both times probably feels they should have won both times.

To touch on a few of the above comments.  I disagree that the team doesn't want to get ONeil the ball in the post, I think it is more of what Taps said in that it is difficult to make a post entry pass and they just aren't very good at it.  Is he an Addison Wagler, no but not very many are.  He is a very good post player especially for a 1A team and is only going to get better.

Although Brycen didn't play very well against Loogootee he has gotten better every game and knows his role.  Hughes has tried somewhat to develop his bench and each of the 3 seniors has been given an opportunity but in my opinion haven't taken advantage of it.  Part of me also thinks he is working towards next year because he has all 5 starters and the 6th man coming back.

So yes they should make it through sectional but it isn't a sure thing like it was a few years ago but that was just an exceptional team (obviously with back to back state appearances).  The draw will be very important in this years sectional, if BR has to play both Orleans and Loogootee it is more likely there will be an upset.

A few other notes, Bauer played very well and seemed to carry the Lions. He is already developing into a good varsity player and he's just a freshman.  Gladish did an excellent job on Wagoner, pretty much making him a non-factor especially in the first half where he was held scoreless.  And finally, Isaac Wagler had a great game and a lot of rebounds.