• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/24/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street Knightstown:  Kevin Miller  Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Kokomo:  Brett Colby  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  
Sign in to follow this  
tommy

Curtis leaves Mishawaka for Warsaw

11 minutes ago, tommy said:

He will do AWESOME!  He knows how to compete and beat Penn. Tremendous coach. Wonderful staff. Great man. 

15 minutes ago, tommy said:

God’s offense. THE. TRIPLE. OPTION. :03_v:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

sort of surprised with this one

wonder why he found Warsaw so appealing

any MHS fans surprised by this?

16 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

Did you read the article?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

his son michael is a coach on the football team

• Upvote 1

The not so subtle hints we saw coming from insiders the last few days makes this anti-climactic news!  :07_v:But it is a bit of a surprise!  I'm happy for Warsaw and I could see this making a huge impact on the program!  

Great hire for Warsaw! For as good of a coach he is, he is even a better man! He will turn your athletes into young MEN and is a great ambassador for the entire community. Get ready for smart, disciplined, option football with ugly uniforms!   

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, CavemenFB38 said:

Did you read the article?

Yes I read it.  He built up the program and had things moving along.  Always wonder why people want to move on.  He had kids accepting the system

Guess, why start over in your 50's

30 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

Yes I read it.  He built up the program and had things moving along.  Always wonder why people want to move on.  He had kids accepting the system

Guess, why start over in your 50's

One last challenge? I have zero idea why Coach Curtis made the decision, but I'm glad he did!

I believe coaches, by nature, like the idea of going somewhere and rebuilding a program. Sure, it'd be great to step into a place that already has things moving along, but I'd have to say most coaches (if not ALL) are highly competitive people. Maybe there was just something about the opportunity to go to a 6A program in a great community with great facilities (Warsaw is making some athletics additions to their building soon) and elevating a program to the level that many (my friend @DrivenT being one) believe they should be; at the top of the NLC and being competitive and winning in the 6A tournament. One huge plus to Coach Curtis, he's beaten Penn, something Warsaw has never done.

15 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

I hope he got a hell of a pay raise.

According to the School Board minutes he will be the Dean of Attendance.  

17 hours ago, Indian72 said:

He goes from a school with an enrollment of 1476 to one with 2133. His pool of talent to choose from just got a 31% boost. Now, with that in mind, Warsaw will still have a tougher road to a state championship than Mishawaka did. Overall though, I think he can field a better team in Warsaw based on enrollment alone.

32 minutes ago, BTF said:

He goes from a school with an enrollment of 1476 to one with 2133. His pool of talent to choose from just got a 31% boost. Now, with that in mind, Warsaw will still have a tougher road to a state championship than Mishawaka did. Overall though, I think he can field a better team in Warsaw based on enrollment alone.

Tougher road? One less game but he has to beat penn and Carmel. I'm not sure how much tougher it is to come out of the north in 6a

Gotta wonder if Mishawaka's move down to 4A this season played into this at all.  They had played up at the 5A level for the previous 2 seasons.  Did Coach Curtis want to stay up at 5A?  We'll probably never know, but there was an awful lot of discussion around what Mishawaka would do.  A lot of people on this board (as I recall) seemed to think that Curtis would not want to drop down to 4A.

This means a whole new crop of officials who will now begin debating whether Warsaw’s offensive line commits an illegal shift on almost every play.

:14_v:

Edited by bobref
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bobref said:

This means a whole new crop of officials who will now begin debating whether Warsaw’s offensive line commits an illegal shift on almost every play.

Fan do those kids FLY off the ball.  Mish's OL coaches......WOW.  Learned so much.  The stuff those kids could and would do.  AWESOME!

They.  Just.  Play.  FAST!

#TripleBlood

One fun story.....

At TMT (Option) Camp at Trine.......

We (KV-1, our number 1's that were at camp) were on D against Mish-1 (their number 1's that were at camp).  I spoke to our HC and Bart to see if I could watch and learn from their huddle/POV.  Both said sure.  I was KV's OC at the time and we were implementing more flexbone into our scheme.

Bart had a little wrinkle to their offense.  It was a variation of a counter option.  Heard the call in the huddle.  Was being walked/talked through the play as it was being ran.....and I STILL had no idea who had the ball.  LOL.

If memory serves correctly, all of the KV D ended on one side of the field and all of the Mish O ended on the other side of the field, in the end zone.

@bobref  a new appreciation for you fine men was made RIGHT THEN!

Edited by Coach Ellenwood
  • Upvote 2

On 2/13/2018 at 1:51 PM, knights1121 said:

According to the School Board minutes he will be the Dean of Attendance.  

Can you let me know what that means in laymen terms??

13 hours ago, psaboy said:

Can you let me know what that means in laymen terms??

basically its a person with comparable administrative (assistant principal) responsibilities and pay without an administration license.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:24 PM, Huge football fan said:

Tougher road? One less game but he has to beat penn and Carmel. I'm not sure how much tougher it is to come out of the north in 6a

Did I not say "Warsaw will still have a tougher road to the state championship than Mishawaka did?"

I can tell you how it can get tougher than Carmel and Penn.................how about Snider, Carmel, and Penn?

On 2/14/2018 at 1:54 PM, bobref said:

And one washed up official that has nothing better to do with his time than to choose how he's going to call a game before it ever starts!!  

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

34 minutes ago, trojan14 said:

And one washed up official that has nothing better to do with his time than to choose how he's going to call a game before it ever starts!!  

Ouch,! Seriously, lighten up, Francis.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 2/14/2018 at 12:54 PM, bobref said:

Feel free to move to officiating thread. 

What is the difference between Mish “committing an illegal shift” and Rennselaer “committing an illegal shift”?  

I watched and coached against both and never saw one, but have heard complaints many times about both. 

Is it just the time they need to be “set”?

Week 1 2014:  We 100% were illegally shifting on the 5 or 4 shifts we did, no doubt about it.  That was week 1, first time we ran it, and I believe it was called illegal motion two times, encroachment the others.    Coach Stewart was right on with that.   Next few days, we reached out to IFOA, we filmed our resets in practice and with our game film.  We were instructed by IFOA what we were doing was illegal and were informed how to make it legal, which we did the rest of the season.  I spent the next 14 weeks with my IPAD out in the pre game meeting, showing each crew the wrong way we did it and how we fixed it.   

We were shifting our FB/WB, and RB at the same speed as our normal snaps, which was illegal.  Once we slowed the initial come up from their positions, then sprinted across the formation, it made it legal.   

I believe IFOA even made a weekly training video of said formation shift for their weekly video session they send out.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

Feel free to move to officiating thread. 

What is the difference between Mish “committing an illegal shift” and Rennselaer “committing an illegal shift”?  

I watched and coached against both and never saw one, but have heard complaints many times about both. 

Is it just the time they need to be “set”?

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Week 1 2014:  We 100% were illegally shifting on the 5 or 4 shifts we did, no doubt about it.  That was week 1, first time we ran it, and I believe it was called illegal motion two times, encroachment the others.    Coach Stewart was right on with that.   Next few days, we reached out to IFOA, we filmed our resets in practice and with our game film.  We were instructed by IFOA what we were doing was illegal and were informed how to make it legal, which we did the rest of the season.  I spent the next 14 weeks with my IPAD out in the pre game meeting, showing each crew the wrong way we did it and how we fixed it.   

We were shifting our FB/WB, and RB at the same speed as our normal snaps, which was illegal.  Once we slowed the initial come up from their positions, then sprinted across the formation, it made it legal.   

I believe IFOA even made a weekly training video of said formation shift for their weekly video session they send out.   

The rule says that all 11 players on offense must be motionless for a second at some point before the snap. When the offensive linemen go down to a 3 pt. stance, and fail to come to a complete stop before the snap, that’s an illegal shift. The purpose behind the rule is to prevent the offense from taking the advantage they have in knowing the snap count, and gaining a further advantage by getting a rolling start on the play. Nobody’s going to get out a stopwatch. But the philosophy is to ensure that those linemen are starting the play at zero, and not with the advantage of momentum forward.

Coach Nowlin’s issue is different. By starting people in motion, or shifting, at “game speed,” they were simulating the start of the play. That’s a false start, a dead ball foul, not an illegal shift, which is a live ball foul at the snap.

Edited by bobref
  • Thanks 1