• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/22/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller  Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning  Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Fairfield:  Bob Miller  East Central:  Justin Roden  Munster:  Leroy Marsh 
ts32

2A Sectional 47

Wow. Linton and South Knox right off the bat.

Winner gets North Daviess in round  2.

Eastern Greene gets a North Knox team they’ve already beaten twice by 19 each time.

The old adage goes, “It’s tough to beat the same team three times in one season.” Somehow I don’t think that applies here.

Next round though it gets interesting. Eastern has struggled with Mitchell the last four years. The T-Birds had won four straight - all of the wins were close - until this year when Mitchell beat them by 14  in Eastern’s second game of the season.

Can’t say this draw really favors anyone. Top half of the bracket has an easier semifinal game, bottom half has a tougher second round matchup.

Oh and Eastern beat South Knox at their place a month ago...

• Like 1

Eastern could pull the upset and come out of the bottom half of the bracket,  before the player suspensions  Eastern had just beaten Bloomfield and South Knox both road games.  But with starters back last week they only beat Shakamak by 5, a team they had previously beaten by 11 earlier in the season in the GCI. 

Predictions

Linton over South Knox - Miners have too many options and too much size for South Knox, but this will be a close one these two teams have developed quite a history over the past few years. Linton by 2.

Eastern-Greene over North Knox - Eastern by 15

Linton over ND- Linton by 20 plus, ND averages 42 points a game and Linton averages almost 65 points a game. Enough said

Eastern-Greene over Mitchell -  Mitchell has only beaten one team with a winning record this year, ironically that team is Eastern and the game was at Mitchell.  Mitchell doesn't have any road or neutral court wins against teams that have a winning record.

Sectional Final Linton vs Eastern-Greene.  Linton by 10.

According to the current Sagarin ratings, Linton is an 11 point favorite over South Knox, 20 point favorites over Mitchell, 23 point favorites over Eastern Greene, 24 point favorites over North Daviess, and 43 point favorites over North Knox.  Having played (and beaten) all of these teams except Mitchell during the season, the closest game was 15 points (South Knox).  Linton finishes their season this Friday at home against Sullivan.  This should be a good test right before the tournament.  The Golden Arrows are a solid ball club.  On a side note:  After last night's win over West Vigo (76 - 41), Coach Hart needs 2 more wins to reach 300 in his career.

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

According to the current Sagarin ratings, Linton is an 11 point favorite over South Knox, 20 point favorites over Mitchell, 23 point favorites over Eastern Greene, 24 point favorites over North Daviess, and 43 point favorites over North Knox.  Having played (and beaten) all of these teams except Mitchell during the season, the closest game was 15 points (South Knox).  Linton finishes their season this Friday at home against Sullivan.  This should be a good test right before the tournament.  The Golden Arrows are a solid ball club.  On a side note:  After last night's win over West Vigo (76 - 41), Coach Hart needs 2 more wins to reach 300 in his career.

This is true, however Eastern Greene was playing without their suspended players. That make Eastern an unknown come next week.

3 hours ago, miner_35 said:

This is true, however Eastern Greene was playing without their suspended players. That make Eastern an unknown come next week.

That depends on what your definition of "unknown" is.  Weren't they suspended just before the Linton game?  If so, you can look at their record up to that point and see how they were.  I'd say even with those players, the point differential is close to being correct.  Whether people like it or not, this sectional is Linton's to lose.  They will have to play REALLY poorly to lose it.  Weird things have happened before I guess.  It's a shame they drew South Knox in the first game.  IMO they are the best 2 teams in that sectional.  I also believe one of the best wins that the Miners had this year was at Vincennes Lincoln on the second night of a back to back.  That game was expected to be close and Linton won by what?  16, 17?  The thing that really gets me about a Coach Hart coached team is they get a bit of a lead and normally will never lose it.  Reminds me of Dean Smith back in the day at North Carolina.  They got a few point lead and then went to a four corner stall.  Of course, that was before the shot clock.  It was exasperating to watch!

• Like 1

My predictions are little on the conservative side.  You are right this is Linton's sectional to lose.   They are playing really good right now.

I don't think Linton would have to play poorly to lose to SK; after Tuesday it would be Linton's sectional to lose but do not discredit SK too much.  SK is 14-9 but it wasn't a 14-9 team that won at Vincennes Lincoln nor who beat 1A ranked Wood Memorial last night, at Wood, by 20.  SK is capable and they are becoming accustomed to March more so than your average program.  They brought similar teams (15-8, 16-7) into March the past 2 years and beat Barr Reeve each year, who was ranked in the top 3 of 2A both years.  Their coach is young, but he has sat opposite of Joey enough years that he is learning to compete in the slugfests that are March.

HS basketball has so much parity; it was just last year that only 2 of the top 10 ranked teams in 2A even made it to the regional round and a Sagarin team in the mid 30's went to the state championship game.  I don't know of any other sport, other than NCAA opening weekend, where so much parity exists.  SK will give Linton a game.

Now... if only there was enough parity so that the Lakers could compete with the Cardinals.

On 2/21/2018 at 2:12 PM, itiswhatitis said:

That depends on what your definition of "unknown" is.  Weren't they suspended just before the Linton game?  If so, you can look at their record up to that point and see how they were.  I'd say even with those players, the point differential is close to being correct.  Whether people like it or not, this sectional is Linton's to lose.  They will have to play REALLY poorly to lose it.  Weird things have happened before I guess.  It's a shame they drew South Knox in the first game.  IMO they are the best 2 teams in that sectional.  I also believe one of the best wins that the Miners had this year was at Vincennes Lincoln on the second night of a back to back.  That game was expected to be close and Linton won by what?  16, 17?  The thing that really gets me about a Coach Hart coached team is they get a bit of a lead and normally will never lose it.  Reminds me of Dean Smith back in the day at North Carolina.  They got a few point lead and then went to a four corner stall.  Of course, that was before the shot clock.  It was exasperating to watch!

I wholeheartedly agree that Linton is the favorite and should win. However, one bad quarter against South Knox, Eastern, or Mitchell could be the end. I do however think that Linton could also runaway with this sectional, as even in recent games against Sullivan and Terre Haute South, I feel like Linton played some of there worst ball and was still in the game until the end(not to take anything away from those two teams of course). Also, I have not seen a Linton team that can quite shoot like this year's.

Well that didnt go as planned.  Interesting to see who ends up with this one now.  Eastern beat Sk during the season.  Mitchell beat Eastern early in the season.  Never count out ND.  

After winning 4 straight sectionals the Linton Miners have exited the state tournament on the first night two years in a row.  SK is now the favorite but any of the other teams left can beat them so should be an exciting weekend of basketball at NK.

Well that was quick.  Linton got behind and had to play catch up and couldn't quite get there.  South Knox was a team on a mission and now that they thrashed Eastern Greene, they are sectional champs.  Best of luck in the regional!