• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/22/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller  Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning  Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Fairfield:  Bob Miller  East Central:  Justin Roden  Munster:  Leroy Marsh 
Sign in to follow this  
coachshattuck

Flooding at Elkhart Central/Rice Field

Here are a couple of areal images of the Elkhart Central campus and Rice Field.  Some pretty intense flooding.  Water is finally starting to go down a little bit. A lot of water!

IMG_20180221_120208.jpg

IMG_20180221_121415.jpg

I can only imagine what that is doing to the equipment in the concessions, locker rooms, equipment rooms, and whatever else is under those stands.  Is this a turf field, or grass?

It is a grass field.  Thankfully, we knew it was coming, so we were able to get everything off of ground level in the concession stand and Fieldhouse areas on the northeast corner of the stadium.  Still going to be some obvious water damage, but out equipment and other items were moved up.

• Upvote 4

The flooding up north has been unbelievable.  My parents live south of Bremen, about 1/4 from the Yellow River,  their house is flooded for the first time in 35 years of living there.

We call that "game ready" at NP !!

• Haha 2

I believe it was Chuck Freeby that I saw suggesting Central D line start practicing their "swim moves"

• Haha 3

Good thing the school is going to close and consolidate with Memorial.

Happened to the Brickie Bowl all the time...

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, coachshattuck said:

Here are a couple of areal images of the Elkhart Central campus and Rice Field.  Some pretty intense flooding.  Water is finally starting to go down a little bit. A lot of water!

IMG_20180221_120208.jpg

Well at least the tennis courts are playable. :13_v:

Lord, I apologize for that.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, tommy said:

Good thing the school is going to close and consolidate with Memorial.

Happened to the Brickie Bowl all the time...

They are consolidating but the plan as I understand it is to use the field at Central as the home football field.  Might want to revisit those plans.

23 hours ago, coachshattuck said:

IMG_20180221_120208.jpg

IMG_20180221_121415.jpg

Looks like will a little sun and some diamond dry we can go on the Softball diamond.

Sorry I couldn't resist, I hope you guys are OK. I started to text Michelle and got sidetracked. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, knights1121 said:

They are consolidating but the plan as I understand it is to use the field at Central as the home football field.  Might want to revisit those plans.

If the property is prone to flooding the Elkhart schools need to relocate their facilities to drier ground.

Is it called "RICE" field because you could grow rice there?

• Haha 3

Pretty sure the river or a retention pond or something of that nature runs right behind the bleachers on the home side bleacher but memory could be wrong.

Must be a Kurth thing with the flooding at both Hobart and Elk. Central

On 2/23/2018 at 11:31 AM, tommy said:

If the property is prone to flooding the Elkhart schools need to relocate their facilities to drier ground.

They don't need to play their football games on another field. Rice Field is where football in Elkhart should be played. However...the plans for changing it from grass to a turf field SHOULD be revisited. Rice Field has done just fine handling the flooding that occurs routinely (this example is a once every 4-5 decades type of flooding, but the field area does sustain lesser flooding every couple years) because it is a natural grass surface. If ECS wants to put a multi-functional turf field in for soccer, lacrosse, gym, band, whatever, they should simply put it somewhere else. Leave Rice Field as it is. A grass field will recover from flooding after time. A turf field will not.

On 2/23/2018 at 1:35 PM, wolves on the prowl said:

Pretty sure the river or a retention pond or something of that nature runs right behind the bleachers on the home side bleacher but memory could be wrong.

Must be a Kurth thing with the flooding at both Hobart and Elk. Central

yep, it appears the fields are kurthed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, CoachMiller said:

They don't need to play their football games on another field. Rice Field is where football in Elkhart should be played. However...the plans for changing it from grass to a turf field SHOULD be revisited. Rice Field has done just fine handling the flooding that occurs routinely (this example is a once every 4-5 decades type of flooding, but the field area does sustain lesser flooding every couple years) because it is a natural grass surface. If ECS wants to put a multi-functional turf field in for soccer, lacrosse, gym, band, whatever, they should simply put it somewhere else. Leave Rice Field as it is. A grass field will recover from flooding after time. A turf field will not.

Having your high school building and your football facility located in 2 completely separate parts of town is a logistical nightmare, it really has an adverse effect on your away games.  Lots of players will be skipping practice.

It has been that way at Michigan City for decades.    

I highly suggest your practices and workouts, equipment storage and team activities needs to be based out of your new high school building and Rice Field stadium should only be utilized on game night, that is what Phil Mason has done since he came over from Andrean and it has worked out really well..

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Butter Bean said:

When is the consolidation of the two schools to occur?  

2021 I believe, also both schools have played at Rice Field in the past.  Memorial has a really nice field and bleachers, but Rice is clearly the more historic and better atmosphere for football.  I'm still hoping Memorial can work out a trade deal with us in Middlebury to get some nice newer bleachers and a decent press box!

On 2/27/2018 at 12:05 AM, tommy said:

Having your high school building and your football facility located in 2 completely separate parts of town is a logistical nightmare, it really has an adverse effect on your away games.  Lots of players will be skipping practice.

It has been that way at Michigan City for decades.    

I highly suggest your practices and workouts, equipment storage and team activities needs to be based out of your new high school building and Rice Field stadium should only be utilized on game night, that is what Phil Mason has done since he came over from Andrean and it has worked out really well..

Good points and ones that are being made by several individuals...none of whom are in the decision making process (shrugs). I just hope the ones making the decisions consult "football people" before anything is finalized!

20 hours ago, NRRaider2001 said:

2021 I believe, also both schools have played at Rice Field in the past.  Memorial has a really nice field and bleachers, but Rice is clearly the more historic and better atmosphere for football.  I'm still hoping Memorial can work out a trade deal with us in Middlebury to get some nice newer bleachers and a decent press box!

OK, you get press box, what do we get?

2 hours ago, CoachMiller said:

Good points and ones that are being made by several individuals...none of whom are in the decision making process (shrugs). I just hope the ones making the decisions consult "football people" before anything is finalized!

OK, you get press box, what do we get?

Meant to say sell us the stands and box, but that's what I get for screwing around on here while I'm supposed to be working.

Maybe we trade you even up for our old stands, and we take Washington Twp as additional trade value.

All joking aside, both are very nice fields, I just prefer the atmosphere at Rice over Memorial any day.  Maybe one day we in Middlebury won't have to face the sun every Friday night in the fall.

5 minutes ago, NRRaider2001 said:

Meant to say sell us the stands and box, but that's what I get for screwing around on here while I'm supposed to be working.

Maybe we trade you even up for our old stands, and we take Washington Twp as additional trade value.

All joking aside, both are very nice fields, I just prefer the atmosphere at Rice over Memorial any day.  Maybe one day we in Middlebury won't have to face the sun every Friday night in the fall.

So your home stands face west too huh?  Thought KV was about the only school that planned that.

16 minutes ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

So your home stands face west too huh?  Thought KV was about the only school that planned that.

yep, early season games we're blinded for a good 3+ quarters

1 hour ago, NRRaider2001 said:

yep, early season games we're blinded for a good 3+ quarters

ah, the benefit of cst here....lol.

we were only blinded for roughly a 1/2.

wonderful planning :)

• Upvote 1

On 2/28/2018 at 10:22 AM, NRRaider2001 said:

All for you getting a new pressbox...feedback is never quite as good when the "upstairs" coaches are standing at the top of the visiting bleachers LOL

• Haha 1