• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/20/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired

So who are the favorites in 2A?  Who are the dark horses?  Maybe an early top 10.

1. Scecina

2. Southridge

3. Tipton

4. Eastbrook

5. Renssealer

6. Linton

7. Mater Dei

8. Western Boone

9. Cass

10. Woodlan 

This is my best guess off what teams have coming back. 

Woodlan has a very good sophomore class who were stuck behind talented skill kids in their SR class.   

Any rumors coming out of Linton yet like who's going to be the QB this year?  I have a guess who it might be.  It was tough to replace Meurer last year but Cox did a really good job.  Now that Cox is graduating, I'm wondering who steps up and keeps the winning tradition going for the Miners.  Southridge will have to replace their QB also, but have a stud running back returning.  Southridge, Linton, and Mater Dei all being in a top ten says a lot about that sectional.  I said last year that the state champ could come out of that sectional and Southridge won it all.  Could see the state champ out of that sectional again.  Should be a great season this year in 2A.

Western Boone has a very Talented Sophomore class coming back that is lead by QB Spencer Wright.

Eastbrook will have the best defense in Northern Indiana in 2A football with Woodlan not to far behind.  Rochester returns everyone.  They will be a tough out for Eastbrook  and Rennsy in sectional 35.   My top 10.

1. Woodlan

2. Eastbrook

3. Scecina

4. Mater Dei

5. Rennsy

6. Tipton

7. Rochester

8. Western Boone

9. Linton

10. Southridge

5 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Any rumors coming out of Linton yet like who's going to be the QB this year?  I have a guess who it might be.  It was tough to replace Meurer last year but Cox did a really good job.  Now that Cox is graduating, I'm wondering who steps up and keeps the winning tradition going for the Miners.  Southridge will have to replace their QB also, but have a stud running back returning.  Southridge, Linton, and Mater Dei all being in a top ten says a lot about that sectional.  I said last year that the state champ could come out of that sectional and Southridge won it all.  Could see the state champ out of that sectional again.  Should be a great season this year in 2A.

I haven't heard anything officially, but I think Junior wingback  Lance Dyer could be moved to the QB slot.  Last year's Freshman JV QB Tre Goodman looked good and may be ready to move into the starting spot.  

North Newton should be a team to watch. Lost to Woodlan by 12 in the Regionals and has a lot of kids returning. I know they have very high expectations.

On 3/13/2018 at 2:03 PM, kingtut said:

I haven't heard anything officially, but I think Junior wingback  Lance Dyer could be moved to the QB slot.  Last year's Freshman JV QB Tre Goodman looked good and may be ready to move into the starting spot.  

I think you could see a mixture on both really.....Trey doesn't seem like he'd be the running QB style that we saw with Meurer or Cox...perhaps more in the vein of Chad Trent a few years back... but with Lance Dyer's natural abililty--- he definitely is in the same mold of Tyler and Keaton... but there will be learning curves in both scenario's.  Depth plays an issue as well.  I think you gotta have both aspects to the game-- running and passing... to be competitive in the long run.  Good thing is Lance will be a junior, Trey just a sophomore... and don't forget that Lance's brother Trevor played QB as a freshman.  THey may hold off on putting Goodman as a starter as a sophomore.. but I would not be surprised to see him get a lot of work with 1st team in games....and a little different look.  

And as for Linton in 2018... 2 big questions... one talked about above is replacing Keeton Cox not only at QB but on defense.  Cox led Linton with 1,196 yard rushing, 7.5 per carry, and 18 rush TDs.  That was with missing 2.5 games.  The other name to replace is ILB Chance Howard.  He was the leading tackler at 129, and played alot at noseguard as well in 5 man fronts.  Both these guys contributed on both sides of the ball as well.. Cox that 3rd in tackles with 70 (again missing nearly 3 weeks),  While Howard made the switch to FB and was 3rd in yards with 449, a nice 9.0 per carry avg.   Course there are others who move on through graduation that will leave holes-- 3 year starter at DT, and OT Levi Jerrells was the anchor on both sides of the ball at 6'2 230,  offensive linemen Ryan Figg and Trevor Hill both started on and off all season on both sides of the ball.  Braiden Irish (TE), Dreyden Ward (QB. WR. OLB), Craig Gretlein (DT), Braxton Robinson (T/DE) and a couple others who battles injuries all year.

QB is probably not going to be decided anytime soon, and probably could be a toss up going into the weeks of camp. But there are options as I discussed above.  Lance Dyer definitely made an impression out of the gates in his first year starting at WB- 904 yards, 7.9 per carry 7 TDs.  He will certainly be a huge part of what Linton does in his junior year.  But he will have good help in Luke Lannan... another incoming junior who started as a soph at the other wing notching 277 yards before missing 4 games to mono.  In his place stepped another sophomore Cash Howard who ran for 266 yards.  When Howard needed a rest at RB, Drake Cunningham stepped in and ran for 150 yards, and likely will take that position in 2018.   THe Miners still rushed for 3,423 yards (311.2) per game.   The Passing game wasn't what it has been the last several years though.  There were glimpses of it, but no consistency.  Cox threw for 530 yards, 45-87 with just 2 TDs and a misleading 10 picks.  Ward and Dyer added a combines 139 more yards, and for a total of 669 yards in the air.   The last 2 years had  Meurer with 1402,  and 1321in the air--and with respect--- those were 4 more games each year, and a lot more help for Cox in the receiving department.   The leading receiver in 2017 was Dyer with 12 for 169, followed by Lannan with 7 for 131 (7 games) and a soph Devyn Roberson with 9 for 111. Robertson missed much of the year as well with a hand injury.  the Graduating Ward caught 11 for 91, and there were a handful of others each with a catch or two.  I think it's a given that Linton will try to improve the side of their game.

If Dyer moves to QB as a Junior, I think you see Lannan and Cash Howard as our wings, and Cunningham at RB.  There are a handful of youngsters who could step up for depth at WB.. or WR.. or both...   Lance's brother Trevor got some WB duty, Cash's brother Chase as well.  Obviously if Goodman is at QB, Dyer moves to wing, I suspect with Lannan, which frees up Cash to a slot receiver which is where he played prior.  RObertson showed promise though at WR with the deep ball, and his athleticism.  and another sophomore ended the year starting in the sectional Southridge Game- Dylan Smith.  In all those names mentioned....  an incoming junior at TE Avery Pucket (6'2 180) made  some big noise with a few prime time catches in limited action as a sophomore...and I think he could be a factor in the offensive passing game in '18.

Up front has it's question marks.  We return our center  Matthew Ketchum (5'10 190) who started all year as a soph,  a guard in Ben Burris (6'0 165) for his senior year, and another incoming junior Tyler Mongeau (6'2 185) who had become a starter by season end. But over all there are 6 seniors graduating who contributed, and of the returning guys, only Ketchum was a starter all year.  As a freshmen, Vedder Rogers (6'1 210) started at DT, so I'd think he;d be looked at, but after that the slate is wide open as to who steps up.  Just a gander at the 2017 roster shows a handful of kids, and only 1 of those a senior to be in RObert Heacox, a tackle listed at 5'8 220. So there will be three incoming juniors (Clark, Boldrey, Lowell) who will probably have a shot at getting in rotation and depth.  A lot I'm sure is being determined by what they are doing now to improve.

DEfense--- losing 2 of top 3 tacklers in Howard and Cox, and the experience of Jerrells at DT whom teams ran away from.  Pluses--Cunningham back at ILB, he was 2nd in tackles with 78,   Lannan had been a force at OLB (6th in tackles) until being out 4 games, Cash Howard stepped in from CB to be the teams 4th leading tackler.  WIth Ward graduating, I suspect Howard will stay at OLB with Lannan, and Trevor Dyer and/or Chase Howard in the mix. Finding the other ILB will be the task, and the immediate backup (Irish) graduated.  This is a hugely important spot with no heir apparent...so I think all options are probably open.  Mongeau (DE), Rogers (DT) and Burris (DE) are likely where we line upfront...Mongeau came on in some games, but we rotated DE's alot.  Rogers, held up well as a Freshman starting... but replacing Jerrells is another concern at Dt.   One option is Puckett (6'2 as a soph) could jump into a DE spot pushing Burris or Mongeau to DT.   Really anyone I mentioned in the offensive line spectrum.. is a possibility defensively as well!   I know coaches won't want the same games all night on the field if they can help it... so...I'm sure they are looking for depth possibilities. in the DB area... Lance Dyer moved into Cox's safety spot when Keaton was hurt.. and stayed there when he came back... so he's the likely FS.  As a freshmen Gavin House.. had to move into a CB against Ritter..not a good place to be... but he got better as the year rolled on and stayed out there.   The other corner could be any of 3-4 people-- incoming juniors Dylan Smith, Devyn Robertson, Braden Jackson...or even someone from the OLB group. 

LIke I said.. a lot.... of question marks....!!!  if we get some youngers guys put in the work, buy into it....get a couple surprises and no letdowns... or lose that injury bug that nabbed us last year.... we could be a solid team..... we all know how that works though right?  opening with Southridge.. then Sullivan, Monrovia.. NV and RItter as the first 5 games...we'll find out pretty quick.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Miner Pride said:

I think you could see a mixture on both really.....Trey doesn't seem like he'd be the running QB style that we saw with Meurer or Cox...perhaps more in the vein of Chad Trent a few years back... but with Lance Dyer's natural abililty--- he definitely is in the same mold of Tyler and Keaton... but there will be learning curves in both scenario's.  Depth plays an issue as well.  I think you gotta have both aspects to the game-- running and passing... to be competitive in the long run.  Good thing is Lance will be a junior, Trey just a sophomore... and don't forget that Lance's brother Trevor played QB as a freshman.  THey may hold off on putting Goodman as a starter as a sophomore.. but I would not be surprised to see him get a lot of work with 1st team in games....and a little different look.  

Tre was pretty good as a runner in the JV games.  Had surprising speed and broke a few long runs.  Agree though, Lance would continue what we've seen with Meurer and Cox.I've heard rumors that the offense may be changed up a bit from the past.  I don't know if that's true.  Maybe it's time.

Woodlan returns a great run defense, a now experienced offensive line, with some great athletes as well. They have some serious playmakers. Keep an eye out for one Isacc Meyer. 6’4 230 DE/TE, Big, Fast, and Physical. He’s a dark horse as far as recruiting prospects go (as far as I know), though I’d expect his stock will rise as the season approaches.

With a tough schedule to get them ready, the beforementioned group of players they will have, and not to mention having a new fast track that I’m their speed can take advantage of late into October/November, I see them rolling again to Semi-State to set up another battle against an Eastbrook or a Rensselaer Central.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:03 PM, kingtut said:

My guess was Dyer.  He is more like Meurer and Cox as far as the running game goes.  I don't see the MIners changing their offense any time soon so I would imagine he is best suited to start.  Then again, he would be killer from a wingback spot again.  I had a chance meeting with Coach Oliver at the 1A state final game back in November and asked him if Dyer would be the QB next season.  Of course he replied that the staff would look at who they have and make the decision later.  I didn't press him on anything.  I think there are a couple of scenarios that could happen, but the Miners will probably stay in the Wing T offense and for the past few years, the best running back on the team has been the QB.  On a side note:   this will be the fourth consecutive year the Miners have played a defending state champion on their schedule.  The previous three were:  North Vermillion, Monrovia, and last year, Ritter.  Looking forward to an exciting year in Linton.

Would love to hear some insight into what to expect from the Cass Kings, who are in year 2 now under the new coach post-Mannering? Correct?

Returning players if anyone is in the know. Also unsure do they still run the same offensive and defensive schemes as the previous regime?

On 3/13/2018 at 9:58 AM, punttheball said:

Eastbrook will have the best defense in Northern Indiana in 2A football with Woodlan not to far behind.  Rochester returns everyone.  They will be a tough out for Eastbrook  and Rennsy in sectional 35.   My top 10.

1. Woodlan

2. Eastbrook

3. Scecina

4. Mater Dei

5. Rennsy

6. Tipton

7. Rochester

8. Western Boone

9. Linton

10. Southridge

Sounds good to me. The Ridge was ranked lower than that last year and we took out your 9,4,3 and #1 on the way to collecting that giant wooden plaque. 

• Upvote 3

With Tucker Schank back on O and D... Seger and Calvert back at ILB,  Gentry on O and D Line.   Neukam, Kramer, Neukam, Voegerl among those coming back.. there's a solid group coming back... granted.. The Raiders lose a lot of great seniors.. but all we heard in Linton going into 2017 was how Southridge had lost a ton of seniors and weren't sure how '17 was gonna pan out! LOL!

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:12 AM, silvertone1696 said:

Would love to hear some insight into what to expect from the Cass Kings, who are in year 2 now under the new coach post-Mannering? Correct?

Returning players if anyone is in the know. Also unsure do they still run the same offensive and defensive schemes as the previous regime?

I believe it is year 3 of new coach

On 3/22/2018 at 3:12 AM, silvertone1696 said:

There’s some Cass people on here that can give better insight than me but I do know they had some very talented sophomores last year. Should be pretty good this coming year and even better the following year. They went back and forth between the Mannering offense and a Shotgun spread offense in which they still ran the ball quite a bit in.