• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/19/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired North Newton Jeff Bean Scott Rouch Promoted Madison Grant:  Kyle Booher Brady Turner Promoted 

Warren Central wins title, everyone else doesn't

• Upvote 2

Warren and Carmel should be awfully good. I'd say that would be my top two going in.

• Upvote 1

I agree that Warren is likely the favorite.

I am curious to see how BD will fare under a new coach.

I am excited to see how much Carson Steele has improved this offseason for CG. If he got any better, everyone should be terrified.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Carmel should be awfully good.

Agree. Snider will give them fits, like always. But I see the Greyhounds going into 2018 as the team to beat in the north.

21 hours ago, CGFan2017 said:

I am excited to see how much Carson Steele has improved this offseason for CG. If he got any better, everyone should be terrified.

I agree also can not  what to see what the rest of his class mates do in the next 3 years after the way they played their freshman season, with out him and 5 others that played jv

On 3/16/2018 at 5:37 PM, BTF said:

Agree. Snider will give them fits, like always. But I see the Greyhounds going into 2018 as the team to beat in the north.

Snider has a lot of talent to replace, as long as they drill Homestead twice next year, that is a good year in my book. I don't expect them to challenge at the regional or semi-state level. Hope they can prove me wrong. 

On 3/16/2018 at 5:37 PM, BTF said:

The Hounds have to win their Sectional first.

• Like 2

We'll see what Avon can put around Sampson James.  He just committed to OSU.  QB will be the key.  I do expect them to be in the top 3 of the HCC.

18 hours ago, Staxawax said:

We'll see what Avon can put around Sampson James.  He just committed to OSU.  QB will be the key.  I do expect them to be in the top 3 of the HCC.

I think Avon will be very good. Defense returns nearly all of its starters. Offensively they do have to replace QB and receivers. They have some good options and expect the transition to be made easier with James in the backfield and a very solid returning O-line. Time will tell. Curious who you think the other 2 teams are that will compete for the HCC title?

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:20 PM, Patch33 said:

The Hounds have to win their Sectional first.

Absolutely! And Westfield will be a force to be reckoned with.............as always. But I saw a young Greyhound team come up to Fort Wayne last fall and somehow come away with a victory against a VERY good Snider team. From what I hear, most those kids return. Carmel will be the team to beat in the north.

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Absolutely! And Westfield will be a force to be reckoned with.............as always. But I saw a young Greyhound team come up to Fort Wayne last fall and somehow come away with a victory against a VERY good Snider team. From what I hear, most those kids return. Carmel will be the team to beat in the north.

Snider lost that game with poor player actions and lack of discipline when game counted. Carmel did get the W, but I think they didn't win the game as much as Snider lost that game. Snider grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory if I may say, 

On 3/22/2018 at 9:48 AM, BTB30 said:

I think Avon will be very good. Defense returns nearly all of its starters. Offensively they do have to replace QB and receivers. They have some good options and expect the transition to be made easier with James in the backfield and a very solid returning O-line. Time will tell. Curious who you think the other 2 teams are that will compete for the HCC title?

No inside info.  But, I think program wise Westfield will continue to improve and Fishers will be a factor.  Brownsburg loses some key players, but Hart will build on what he has.  HSE?  They need to rebound and go back to what made them sucessful.

6A football in The Region is at an all time low.  It comes down to two simple reasons.  

1. Talent is way down - The Duneland Conference used to be a place where Division 1 recruiters found plenty of talent to fill their rosters.  Not anymore.  6A DAC schools haven't placed a significant Power 5 recruit in several years.  

2. Poor coaching - the current group of DAC 6A coaches is the weakest. most inexperienced and most unaccomplished in conference history.  

Until these two glaring issues get addressed and reversed, The DAC will continue its slide into mediocrity.  

33 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

6A football in The Region is at an all time low.  It comes down to two simple reasons.  

1. Talent is way down - The Duneland Conference used to be a place where Division 1 recruiters found plenty of talent to fill their rosters.  Not anymore.  6A DAC schools haven't placed a significant Power 5 recruit in several years.  

2. Poor coaching - the current group of DAC 6A coaches is the weakest. most inexperienced and most unaccomplished in conference history.  

Until these two glaring issues get addressed and reversed, The DAC will continue its slide into mediocrity.  

The “poor coaching” is a direct result of the budget crunch that has hit NW Indiana schools. Schools are now pressured to hire from within, since there are few teaching spots available, so searches for coaches are no longer wide-ranging. It’s almost always promoting an assistant. Nothing against the assistants. But anytime you narrow the search parameters you’re going to wind up with a smaller talent pool.

• Upvote 1

I know they aren't in any great positions but looking at the 6A Duneland squads I wanted to do a quick early capsule. Here's Sectional 1...admittedly the easiest sectional in the state and it really isn't close. Sectional 2 is probably the second worst because Warsaw, Valpo, and a Chesterton all fall out of the top 20. That means seven of the lowest rated 12 teams comprise those two sectionals along with Penn of course.

Lake Central 

Last Season 2-8, Sagarin - 41.65

The Blue Indians enter the second full season for coach Tony Bartolomeo, and with the lowest Sag rating in 6A there is really no place to go but up. This is the largest school in the Duneland so you would think if they can keep some continuity on the coaching staff they can get this team back to competing for titles as the were just a few years ago. LC represents the DAC well in most others sports and the dearth of athletes should if nothing else help propel this team to get back on track next season.

Merrillville 

2017 record - 1-9, Sag - 49.68

Merrillville has the unfortunate distinction as the second worse Sag rating in 6A, finishing just a couple points below FW Northrop and Jeffersonville. It shocks this region fan to reflect and see a Merrillville football team with just one win for the season. That's the second straight losing season for the Pirates after having just 2 losing seasons from 1973-2015. That's quite a blow for a team with that kind of tradition, and one has to think Coach Brad Seiss entering his fourth season with a record of 26-37 is probably under pressure to take some strides back to at least being competitive in the DAC. 

The Pirates struggled with injuries in 2017, but with QB Cameron Wright entering his senior season as the presumptive starter the experienced signal caller should help this team with at least 2-4 more games...however I don't expect it will be enough to win Sectional 1. However favorites Portage and Crown Point have some holes to fill.

Portage

2017 record - 5-6 Sag - 63.73

Four teams in 6A outside of Duneland schools own worse Sag Ratings (Jeffersonville, FW Northrop, Warsaw, and Perry Meridian) which doesn't scream success for many schools. But Portage had really fallen on hard times before the arrival of Darren Rodriguez via Culver Community, with the Red Indians. In addition to having just one winning season in the six prior to Rodriguez, the Indians won just one game apiece in the final two years of those six. So 5-6 was certainly a good step In the right direction. I believe this to be an important year for Rodriguez as we will get to see how his developmental skills have translated to a much bigger program, and that will start at QB with the graduation of star athlete Anthony Maceo. Zach Warchus will come into his junior year looking fill the shoes of Maceo after taking most of his Varsity snaps at RB. Senior Jacob Beehn is also listed at QB so he looks to be in the mix as well. Portage churns out quality backs often so not worried there. Optimism should be high here with Sectional 1 being so winnable and if they can get their line play to gel by regionals maybe give the mighty Kingsmen if nothing else at least a decent football game and keep the program on the rise.

Crown Point

2017 record - 7-5 Sag - 65.67

Well being just one spot ahead of Portage and landing outside the top 20 of the class doesn't say a lot about being the best team according to Sagarin in sectional 1. However I think many factors play in their favor.

Coach Enright enters his seventh season with a winning record (36-30) despite a tough 2015 campaign when the Bulldogs went 1-9. This is a school with ample resources and beautiful facilities, and an enrollment that benefits from some of the best youth programs and facilities in the area. I like the Bulldogs to take that next step and start to make more noise in challenging to make it past Penn.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2018 at 7:23 PM, BTF said:

Why do you feel that Carmel is the team to beat in the north ? A young Penn team beat Carmel 34-7  last year . Now I realize Carmel is better than they showed in that game , but give Penn a little credit . Penn's QB was only a Soph last year and  is going to be a stud . Add in the fact Penn is 2-1 against the greyhounds the last 3 years . I would not say Carmel is the favorite in the North . 

Edited by GOLDRUSH85

9 hours ago, GOLDRUSH85 said:

Why do you feel that Carmel is the team to beat in the north ?

I see the potential. They were young and beat a VERY solid Snider team. Granted, it was a MAJOR upset...................but still!

A young Penn team beat Carmel 34-7  last year

I had no idea Penn was young. If that's the case, then Penn will be the team to beat given that they wasted Carmel last year.

give Penn a little credit

No problem. I love giving Penn credit..............unless they are playing Snider.

So it's looking like a semi-state rematch between Carmel and Penn. Snider will be on the outside looking in. If history repeats itself, Snider will be good, but will lose to Carmel by a field goal..............0-6 against the Greyhounds in games decided by 3pts or less.

On 3/27/2018 at 9:49 PM, BTF said:

I see the potential. They were young and beat a VERY solid Snider team. Granted, it was a MAJOR upset...................but still!

I had no idea Penn was young. If that's the case, then Penn will be the team to beat given that they wasted Carmel last year.

No problem. I love giving Penn credit..............unless they are playing Snider.

So it's looking like a semi-state rematch between Carmel and Penn. Snider will be on the outside looking in. If history repeats itself, Snider will be good, but will lose to Carmel by a field goal..............0-6 against the Greyhounds in games decided by 3pts or less.

Not so fast my Friend..... Carmel has to win their sectional first.Folks are catching up to the Hounds.    

5 hours ago, Patch33 said:

Not so fast my Friend..... Carmel has to win their sectional first.Folks are catching up to the Hounds.    

And a very solid sectional it is. Never count out Westfield!

3 hours ago, BTF said:

And a very solid sectional it is. Never count out Westfield!

Yeah, Snider can easily lose to Westfield as they can to Carmel.

On 3/24/2018 at 3:19 PM, silvertone1696 said:

I know they aren't in any great positions but looking at the 6A Duneland squads I wanted to do a quick early capsule. Here's Sectional 1...admittedly the easiest sectional in the state and it really isn't close. Sectional 2 is probably the second worst because Warsaw, Valpo, and a Chesterton all fall out of the top 20. That means seven of the lowest rated 12 teams comprise those two sectionals along with Penn of course.

Lake Central 

Last Season 2-8, Sagarin - 41.65

The Blue Indians enter the second full season for coach Tony Bartolomeo, and with the lowest Sag rating in 6A there is really no place to go but up. This is the largest school in the Duneland so you would think if they can keep some continuity on the coaching staff they can get this team back to competing for titles as the were just a few years ago. LC represents the DAC well in most others sports and the dearth of athletes should if nothing else help propel this team to get back on track next season.

I see very little upside for LC football.  Overall program numbers are down.  Talent is down.  Community support is poor at best.  The staff is weak and inexperienced.  The program has zero momentum.  All this coincided with the opening of the best high school football facility in NWI 3 years ago.  How does that happen?  Where was the planning and anticipation?  Its a real shame.  With 3000 plus students, LC should be mopping up in the Region and challenging the likes of carmel, HSE, Fishers, and Penn for northern 6A supremacy.  The window has closed unfortunately.  The admin is not expecting, demanding, or even desirous of a championship level high school football program.  And it shows in the results.  

Merrillville 

2017 record - 1-9, Sag - 49.68

Merrillville has the unfortunate distinction as the second worse Sag rating in 6A, finishing just a couple points below FW Northrop and Jeffersonville. It shocks this region fan to reflect and see a Merrillville football team with just one win for the season. That's the second straight losing season for the Pirates after having just 2 losing seasons from 1973-2015. That's quite a blow for a team with that kind of tradition, and one has to think Coach Brad Seiss entering his fourth season with a record of 26-37 is probably under pressure to take some strides back to at least being competitive in the DAC. 

The Pirates struggled with injuries in 2017, but with QB Cameron Wright entering his senior season as the presumptive starter the experienced signal caller should help this team with at least 2-4 more games...however I don't expect it will be enough to win Sectional 1. However favorites Portage and Crown Point have some holes to fill.

I think Merrillville will turn it around, but not until major staff changes are made.  The Pirates still enjoy the best demographic and ethnic mix of talent in The Region which is why they have been so good for so long.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a "Merrillville Man" take over the program in the not too distant future.  

Portage

2017 record - 5-6 Sag - 63.73

Four teams in 6A outside of Duneland schools own worse Sag Ratings (Jeffersonville, FW Northrop, Warsaw, and Perry Meridian) which doesn't scream success for many schools. But Portage had really fallen on hard times before the arrival of Darren Rodriguez via Culver Community, with the Red Indians. In addition to having just one winning season in the six prior to Rodriguez, the Indians won just one game apiece in the final two years of those six. So 5-6 was certainly a good step In the right direction. I believe this to be an important year for Rodriguez as we will get to see how his developmental skills have translated to a much bigger program, and that will start at QB with the graduation of star athlete Anthony Maceo. Zach Warchus will come into his junior year looking fill the shoes of Maceo after taking most of his Varsity snaps at RB. Senior Jacob Beehn is also listed at QB so he looks to be in the mix as well. Portage churns out quality backs often so not worried there. Optimism should be high here with Sectional 1 being so winnable and if they can get their line play to gel by regionals maybe give the mighty Kingsmen if nothing else at least a decent football game and keep the program on the rise.

Portage has made a nice turnaround but they are always one of the smallest teams in the DAC, which limits their potential to move deeper into the tournament past a possible sectional crown.  The admin seems to want to see and support a winning program, so they do have that on their side.  Just not enough horses to supplement some occsasional nice skill level talent (Maceo)

Crown Point

2017 record - 7-5 Sag - 65.67

Well being just one spot ahead of Portage and landing outside the top 20 of the class doesn't say a lot about being the best team according to Sagarin in sectional 1. However I think many factors play in their favor.

Coach Enright enters his seventh season with a winning record (36-30) despite a tough 2015 campaign when the Bulldogs went 1-9. This is a school with ample resources and beautiful facilities, and an enrollment that benefits from some of the best youth programs and facilities in the area. I like the Bulldogs to take that next step and start to make more noise in challenging to make it past Penn.

I just don't see CP having the athletes to compete with Penn.  CP has looked better on paper and overall record over the past 5 years due mainly to the watered down competition in the DAC.  When was the last time you saw a D1 recruit come out of CP?  Kurt Wermers maybe?  10 years ago.  Crown Point is really becoming a rich suburban, country club style school with a strong and growing girls athletic program.  

If Penn can stay healthy and find some more explosive receivers they will be very tough to beat.  Penn has lacked any really speed on the wings of the O in recent seasons.  As of right now 6A North goes through Mishawaka.  Time will tell.

On 3/31/2018 at 8:29 AM, Black_Gold2007 said:

If Penn can stay healthy and find some more explosive receivers they will be very tough to beat.  Penn has lacked any really speed on the wings of the O in recent seasons.  As of right now 6A North goes through Mishawaka.  Time will tell.

Penn has to replace 9 starters on defense and 6 on offense.  Gonna be a bit of a learning curve.  However the freshman and sophomore classes are 2 of the best classes Penn has had in a very long time.