Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

College Football 2021

Irishman

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Exactly correct.

Who made the decision to practice outside despite the wind gusts being 53 mph, (ironically a mph faster than the day before when Kelly decided to move practice indoors)?

Hold your leaders to a higher standard.

Back on topic, HUGE "rivalry" game for the Irish this weekend against NAVY.  

1 minute ago, temptation said:

Who made the decision to practice outside despite the wind gusts being 53 mph, (ironically a mph faster than the day before when Kelly decided to move practice indoors)?

Yes, but if you read the entire report - as I did - you’d be aware that the decision to send video up on the platform was not Kelly’s.

1 minute ago, Bobref said:

Yes, but if you read the entire report - as I did - you’d be aware that the decision to send video up on the platform was not Kelly’s.

He's the head coach.  He bears a level of responsibility for every decision made regarding his program.

What's the line in South Bend this weekend?

53 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Don’t know, but I’ll be there. I love this rivalry. I’ve created a separate Topic in the Next Level just for this game.

I've been lucky enough to have personally seen about a dozen ND/Navy games.  Some were stinkers, a lot of 'em were hard hitting close games. ( I had a cousin with season tickets that just wasn't interested in this game)

In fact I may have seen more Notre Dame games, in person, in my long lifetime, than temp has seen total football games in person.  Just guessing of course.😊

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

I've been lucky enough to have personally seen about a dozen ND/Navy games.  Some were stinkers, a lot of 'em were hard hitting close games. ( I had a cousin with season tickets that just wasn't interested in this game)

In fact I may have seen more Notre Dame games, in person, in my long lifetime, than temp has seen total football games in person.  Just guessing of course.😊

The ILLUSTRIOUS ND/Navy rivalry that is akin to a hammer hitting a nail regularly.

Man, ND’s current “rivals” are a joke.  No excuse to not win 11 games annually.

5 hours ago, temptation said:

Hold your leaders to a higher standard.

Back on topic, HUGE "rivalry" game for the Irish this weekend against NAVY.  

Its not a rivalry when one team wins 100% of the games between the two.  This is an exhibition.

7 hours ago, Bobref said:

You have no idea.

Its a great story, but not a rivalry.  Do you think ND recruits go to SB salivating over the opportunity to play Navy?

Its a rivalry to guys like you, not todays kids and young coaches.

36 minutes ago, HHF said:

Its a great story, but not a rivalry.  Do you think ND recruits go to SB salivating over the opportunity to play Navy?

Its a rivalry to guys like you, not todays kids and young coaches.

More’s the pity.

Good for the committee… for the most part.

Takeaways:

1.  Bama just plays buy a different set of rules than everybody else.  They could probably lose again and still get in.  

2.  Glad to see that head to head matters and Oregon was over OSU.  Otherwise, why play the games?

3.  Cincinnati is officially screwed.  I see no path for them back into the top four.  Their best win is behind them.

4.  Oklahoma and Notre Dame getting punished for not winning impressively over bad teams as the wait a game plays out is much more important than looking at the box score afterwards.

I have never been one to get fired up about this as I realized it is all politics and talking points going forward.

It will eventually shake itself out with little controversy.

Edited by temptation

Here is the full ranking
https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings?fbclid=IwAR3_OXwpPIa--nNhflummQUMRo7y598HRnzVJ1KUZk89dKnXPtCgekX0mc0 

This may be the first year that the argument for more than 4 teams becomes viable? I was convinced after the last 3 seasons, that we were stuck with Clemson and Alabama battling it out for several years. 

1. Michigan State is the only one they got wrong. I agree, they won't stay there. At least two losses await them. 

2. Spot on with Cincinnati and Oklahoma. Cincy might be worthy of the 4 spot when it's all said and done with, but definitely not the Sooners. 

3. Again, maybe a chance at the 4 spot for Notre Dame. But strength of schedule just isn't there. 

4. The Michigan/Ohio State winner is a lock given they win the Big Ten Championship game. 

5. It was good to see the Wolverines pass the eye test in the eyes of the committee. They are as good as any outside of Georgia and Bama. 

15 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

What does the committee do if Georgia beats Bama in the SEC championship and Bama has 2 losses?

The goal is to pick the four best teams. I don't think it will make any difference if they have two losses..............as long as the loss to Georgia isn't ugly. 

33 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

IYHO

USC?

FSU?

Navy?

Stanford?

Those “rivalries” are one-sided for the Irish and have been for the last half decade. 

Stepping up and playing Clemson helped their profile but I think the lack of a signature win and recency bias (the Irish’s recent playoff performance) is going to cost them.

I see no path for ND unless things implode for 2-3 teams not named Georgia and Alabama.

1 minute ago, temptation said:

USC?

FSU?

Navy?

Stanford?

Those “rivalries” are one-sided for the Irish and have been for the last half decade. 

Stepping up and playing Clemson helped their profile but I think the lack of a signature win and recency bias (the Irish’s recent playoff performance) is going to cost them.

I see no path for ND unless things implode for 2-3 teams not named Georgia and Alabama.

You win, as usual. in your own mind.  BTW, how many ND/Navy games have you seen in person?

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

USC?

FSU?

Navy?

Stanford?

Agree. Notre Dame does what it can to schedule quality opponents. Then they all seem to have off years. It seems like every year ND has six ranked opponents scheduled, then there is only one by the end of the season. 

2 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

You win, as usual. in your own mind.  BTW, how many ND/Navy games have you seen in person?

Notre Dame/Navy can't be touched. Won't be touched. Kudos to Notre Dame for that.